Oil

Bozman

I know it's probably been covered but the search didn't find "oil" anywhere so here goes...... I live in WA so I'll use 10W/40 but as far as using synthetic over conventional oil and such, what's the opinion on this bike??? I commute at high speeds and am often in the 6-8K range for long periods of time. I prefer Castrol to be honest but am up for opinions.

Lilday

I know it's probably been covered but the search didn't find "oil" anywhere so here goes...... I live in WA so I'll use 10W/40 but as far as using synthetic over conventional oil and such, what's the opinion on this bike??? I commute at high speeds and am often in the 6-8K range for long periods of time. I prefer Castrol to be honest but am up for opinions.
I always use Castrol Power 1 but of course Yamalube is recommended.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Kayo7

I use Amsoil as well, but that's also because the shop I work at can get it at warehouse prices :D

Bozman

I've been told that using car/truck engine oil is a bad idea???? I manage a shop but it's for Japanese vehicles not bikes. I don't want to put some mobile 1 off the shelf and **** it up.

latony007

LOL!!! Here we go again! :D

Just use Caster oil, it works good enough. Or McDonalds leftover is good also, you smell like fries going down the road and you get major munchies! ;)

Really any oil made for M/C is good as long as you follow the change intervals. I prefer synthetic but to each their own.

Disclosure: I use Amsoil, but am open to Mobil 1 and other large name brands. (I can get amsoil for the same price as or cheaper than other brands via my local dealership than can get at even walmart! I was suprised by this
This may be another stupid question but If you have regular oil in the bike, I can only assume the dealer used regular oil, can you just switch to synthetic on the next change if I try it myself?

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Use whatever MC oil that floats your boat. Changing on time is the important part.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Bozman

@ JT, never thought you were being an ***. Being new to the forum I appreceiate any guidance that I can recieve. At the end of the day, the question was answered so sweet!!!!!!

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

BrockGrimes

I have a friend who builds engines. He took a newly built motor on a dyno and ran brand new oil and wrote down HP, TQ, MPG and then tore the motor down to inspect for wear. Replaced all worn parts and did this again and again each time switching oil types and brands.
The top ones, best:
1st Brad Penn
2nd Royal Purple tied with Mobil 1 full Syn

Last on the list, worst:
Castrol

I run Mobil 1 Full syn cause I can get it everywhere.
Take this info how you like and run what you believe in.