Oil pan is cracked ... now what?

karim18

Cracked my oil pan when trying to ensure the drain bolt was at 31 ft/lb... googled and saw that apparently many people on this forum have had the same fate. Called Yamaha and they indicated that I needed to take it to an authorized dealer. Called my local dealer and he told me to bring it in. My question is has anyone gotten a replacement oil pan through yamaha due to the owners manual having the spec way in the realm of the ridiculous? I had the oil change done and had the drain bolt a 1/2 turn past hand tight and it was good. Tried to torque it to spec while i was buttoning up and thats when it happened.. ugh

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

bmw675

Sorry, but you won't get a free pan out of it. You just over tightened it; but don't feel bad, it can happen to anyone.

I can't remember what the setup is like on the 6r anymore, but usually replacing the oil pan is not that big of a job. You can usually do it yourself easily, just don't over tighten the bolts.

yillbs

Cracked my oil pan when trying to ensure the drain bolt was at 31 ft/lb... googled and saw that apparently many people on this forum have had the same fate. Called Yamaha and they indicated that I needed to take it to an authorized dealer. Called my local dealer and he told me to bring it in. My question is has anyone gotten a replacement oil pan through yamaha due to the owners manual having the spec way in the realm of the ridiculous? I had the oil change done and had the drain bolt a 1/2 turn past hand tight and it was good. Tried to torque it to spec while i was buttoning up and thats when it happened.. ugh
for what it's worth. If you fight it hard enough, you can get a replacement. If specs say to tighten it that tight, and you did, and it cracked, then not really your fault. just say it's a defective oil pan, and your pissed off. depends on how much you wanna fight it :)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

SixRFixR

Sorry Karim. I don't think you have much of a chance convincing Yamaha it's their fault. A half turn past hand tight might have already been too tight. It's just too easy to go a bit further after the wrench clicks. Did you use a new crush washer? I trust my arm torque wrench on steel. Not so much on aluminum. I use a torque wrench. On filters I was taught 3/4 to 1 turn past gasket contact. I still use a torque wrench on the bike's filter.

Replace the pan yourself and sneak up on those torque settings.

JSP

Super Moderator
I'd just buy a pan myself and swap it out. Done it myself a long while ago too. Real easy to swap the pan. Not too expensive. A little over $100.

abyss1406

what you could do is argue the fact that they need to put out a service bulletin for the owners manual or repair manual so it doesnt happen again

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

BKP

I use a torque wrench as well. However, whenever I'm dealing with a bolt that has a "hard stop" like the oil pan bolt, I under-torque recommended spec by approx. 10%.
It's certainly not a documented 'best practice' anywhere, but seems to have served me well in the 40 years I've been messing with these things.

karim18

Is it just me, or does 31 ft/lb sound like way too much? After thinking about it... thats roughly half the amount of torque the motor on this bike puts out. That would be the equivalent of requiring 200 ft/lb of torque on a gt500 drain bolt.

killabee

so what is the recommended method for the torque? just hand tight?

bmw675

so what is the recommended method for the torque? just hand tight?
Making sure you have a good crush washer is key. Once it hits resistance, I just give the ratchet a final nudge to snug it. I dont use torque wrench for items like this.

Or you can go with this method: a 1/4 of a turn before it snaps. ;)

karim18

Spoke to the dealer I bought the bike from regarding my situation and asked whether he thought I would get a replacement. He said and I quote "Listen, you bought the bike from me, bring it to me. I'll make this right for you.".... I bought this bike from a dealer who was priced a little higher than his competition mainly because he was the only dealer to treat me like a person.... Kinda glad I went with him. If he fixes it for me, I'll probably buy an equal value of gear from him the day I pickup the bike.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FastFreddy

That sucks when that happens.

I mainly "go by feel" and stay aware of the angle past the nip up point I've tightened, based on the bolt size when going into aluminium alloy threads after having stripped a sump thread on my car before.

I still use the torque wrench, normally only on bolts that require high torque such as suspension and brake components and bolts/studs going into the head.

1/4 turn from nip up starts getting to the strip point for sump plugs I think, 15-20 degrees is enough.