Oil pan bolt cross threaded

Zgovitz

So I was doing an oil change for spring and it would appear that the bolt for my oil pan is cross threaded. Will not fully tighten. Wondering of anyone else had had this issue with anything in the past and if there is an easier fix than just replacing an oil pan? I have read about the self tapping plugs, anyone use one before?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Try to chase the threads with a tap first. If that doesn't work you might try drilling and tapping a size bigger. The MINOR diameter of you new thread needs to be bigger than the MAJOR diameter of the old thread. Don't be afraid to use an inch bolt if that takes the least amount of material out. Whichever thread you use make sure it is a fine thread, and that you've got a gasket of some sort under the bolt ( copper washer, rubber o-ring ).

I also think they make kits that you can install where you drill and tap it bigger, then install an insert, and use the original size bolt.

Y

yellowfz

Yeah self tapping plugs work well, used a couple of time on different things.

sillysoviet

Try to chase the threads with a tap first. If that doesn't work you might try drilling and tapping a size bigger. The MINOR diameter of you new thread needs to be bigger than the MAJOR diameter of the old thread. Don't be afraid to use an inch bolt if that takes the least amount of material out. Whichever thread you use make sure it is a fine thread, and that you've got a gasket of some sort under the bolt ( copper washer, rubber o-ring ).

I also think they make kits that you can install where you drill and tap it bigger, then install an insert, and use the original size bolt.

by far your best bet. Retap it. Any auto parts store will be able to assist with parts.

abyss1406

just make sure when you re-tap it that the tap goes in straight and not cocked to one side

JSP

Super Moderator
I did it on my R6... I did not want all the shavings in the oil pan so I would take it off to tap it. Since I was taking it off already I just bought a new one. Only like $112 or something. Good as new... Since it was. :D

sillysoviet

Not sure if bike came like that or not. No offense what so ever but my rule of thumb whenever doing an oil change is put the bolt in by hand. Very hard to cross thread by hand. Than use socket to tighten up.

Best of luck man and if you have q's drop a line.

latony007

I did it on my R6... I did not want all the shavings in the oil pan so I would take it off to tap it. Since I was taking it off already I just bought a new one. Only like $112 or something. Good as new... Since it was. :D
$112 for a bolt ?? LOL