Oil Light

Spitfire

I used the search feature and it sucks to put it blunt. Doesn't search for any word less than 4 characters... go figure.

Anyways, since it started getting cold, about 60 degrees out, and about 1000 miles after my last oil change, the oil light comes on for the first 3-5 minutes of riding then goes off. I'm assuming it's either not fully filled and after it starts moving around triggers the sensor or that oil expands when hot? Not sure.

I did my last oil change and went from reg to synthetic and put in 3 full quarts. Any ideas? Should I buy another quart and just add some more?

Chucker

It holds more than 3 quarts, so you should definitely put more in. Have you checked your oil? If your oil level shows in the top half of the safe area, your oil light shouldn't be staying on after the initial check.

Spitfire

Maybe I put in 4 quarts. I know I put in the amount told by the manual. I don't know how thick it is :confused:... Regular? lol... It was the most expensive motorcycle brand at wal-mart for the type of bike we have. It only started acting up a couple weeks ago. No problems mechanically that I can tell and it goes off after a few minutes of riding. No oil leaks that I can tell. I'll measure it tomorrow after work.

JSP

Super Moderator
Just check the oil level. Bike straight up, not on the side stand. Unscrew the dipstick and then put it back in WITHOUT screwing it back in.

The oil light is a level sensor only and not a pressure sensor. So it things its low on oil. If you have the correct amount in there (i like to keep it right at the full line), then the sensor could be faulty.

It holds more than 3 quarts, so you should definitely put more in. Have you checked your oil? If your oil level shows in the top half of the safe area, your oil light shouldn't be staying on after the initial check.
I am pretty sure the book specs the oil fill with filter at 2.96 QTS. I have always put in 3 quarts with a filter change and never had an issue