Oil light come on (for no reason?)

dcBear78

Tuesday night I was riding back from Rockhampton (about an hour and a half by car, hour by bike :D)fairly late at night. About 3/4 of my way home my oil light came on. I pulled over and had a look as best I could by the light of my iPhone. Everything seemed in order. But the light stayed on after restarting the bike.

In the middle of nowhere at 11pm I decided the bike looked fine enough, but I would nurse it home.

Now by daylight I have had a better look. No oil leaks, oil level is fine. The bike was bought new last year and has a touch under 7,000k's on it.

Any idea what happened?

Detrich

happened to me once too.. it means that your oil level is starting to get a bit low.

yes- yamaha engines burn oil, just like rotary engines ^_^

get some yamalube motor oil rated for our bikes, measure and add some, and you'll be fine. =)

bigddy263

could be a bad switch.

cavcuz05

Mine was a little low and had a "STICKY SWITCH" i put a little more oil worked just fine...when i changed my oil i put some lucas oil treatment in ....havent had a problem since

dcBear78

happened to me once too.. it means that your oil level is starting to get a bit low.

yes- yamaha engines burn oil, just like rotary engines ^_^

get some yamalube motor oil rated for our bikes, measure and add some, and you'll be fine. =)
Oil is still sitting on the high mark so there is not an absence of oil.

JSP

Super Moderator
How are you measuring the oil??? Bike standing upright (not on kickstand), unscrew dipstick but do NOT screw it back in, just put it in and pull it out?

If that is not it, then it can only be the level sensor. They can get dirty and mess up. It is not a pressure sensor (at least on my R6 it is not). All it does is make sure your level is good. So if your level is fine and you are measuring it correctly, its the sensor. The bike is fine and nothing wrong will happen with the oil light on if your level is ok.

When was the last time you changed your oil? Are you using the correct oil?

dcBear78

How are you measuring the oil??? Bike standing upright (not on kickstand), unscrew dipstick but do NOT screw it back in, just put it in and pull it out?

If that is not it, then it can only be the level sensor. They can get dirty and mess up. It is not a pressure sensor (at least on my R6 it is not). All it does is make sure your level is good. So if your level is fine and you are measuring it correctly, its the sensor. The bike is fine and nothing wrong will happen with the oil light on if your level is ok.

When was the last time you changed your oil? Are you using the correct oil?
Bike is upright. Not sure what is correct for measuring the oil? If I unscrew and put it back in it comes up to a bit over 3/4 full, if I screw it back in it comes up to the full mark. Either way, plenty of it.

Oil last changed at it's one and only service so far at 1,000km. Currently has 6,000 odd km in it and I believe not due for a change until 10,000km? Oil looks perfectly fine, not dark and murky.

JSP

Super Moderator
Correct for measuring the oil is to NOT screw the dipstick in.

Oil should be changed at 600 miles and then ever 4,000 miles after that. Whatever that is in Kilometers..

dcBear78

Oil should be changed at 600 miles and then ever 4,000 miles after that. Whatever that is in Kilometers..
965 & 6437... Hmmm... Sure my manual said 10,000? I got some oil here for it I bought a while ago when this first happened (and I checked it on the kick-stand). Might be worth changing it out.

dcBear78

Ok...Seems I was wrong. It is the Engine Electrical warning light. Still coming on whenI tried a week later. Will have to take it in for them to run their diagnostics to see what it is indicating.

JSP

Super Moderator
If its the check engine light, then take it in to the shop.

dcBear78

Ok... They are telling me it is an O2 sensor error. Which makes sense as it is no longer connected now I have the Two Bros exhaust. But it seems nobody in the Aussie section has complained of this before. So I am a bit confused. Nor did this error come up soon as I put the exhaust on. A month later maybe?

dndfindley

Quick conversion kilometer to mile - multiply kilometers by .6 and you have your miles i.e. speed limit in Germany is 100 kph x .6 = 60 mph. David

dcBear78

Quick conversion kilometer to mile - multiply kilometers by .6 and you have your miles i.e. speed limit in Germany is 100 kph x .6 = 60 mph. David
I did work it out (exactly) a few posts ago.... Speaking of this while I was in there with my bike today they told me yearly or 10,000km's.

JSP

Super Moderator
Heck, I change mine every 2,500 miles. I think 4k is a bit long, but that is just personal preference. Right around 2,500-3,000 my shifting starts to feel a little sticky so fresh oil is always welcome. Peace of mind, oil is cheap, parts are not.

gibbo

this just started happening on my bike as well.

its only 5 months old with 5500km - light comes on maybe 1 min after riding and goes off maybe 2 mins later but only happens on my trip home from work (done it 3 times now)

will be taking the bike back to the dealer to check it out and possibly change the oil sensor.