Oil leak on a 3 month bike

PWJ

Well so I looked yesterday at my bike an I found some oil build up by the oil filter. I thought at first it could be the filter ring on loose but all of the oil build up is directly above the filter. Specifically if your looking at the filter the curve piece right above it on the inside where its above the cylinder part of the filter. Has anyone experienced this in their bike? Or know why this is happening? I'll try to post pictures of it later.

JSP

Super Moderator
I think you are fine. I believe it is just chain gunk getting slung. Is it gritty/black greasy? The crap slings all over the place from the chain, and that is the biggest place it catches. If there is no actual oily drips that is actual oil then I wouldnt worry. Clean it all off really good. Clean your chain really good and use a good chain wax/lube. Dupont Teflon is a good one that doesnt sling. It goes on clear and dries more solid.

JSP

Super Moderator
No problem! :D

Harda toenail

Lube that chain with wd-40. All that has to be lubed are the o-rings. Have a towel handy and wipe off any excess. You will have a new looking chain that can last over 20k miles.

JSP

Super Moderator
I would not recommend using WD-40 as lube. It is a water displacement spray, not a lube. Many use it to "clean" the chain but then use a proper lube after that.

JSP

Super Moderator
sorry... but your buddies over there telling you that you never have to lube your chain, just clean it? Just because a few got lucky and didnt have chain problems doesnt mean others will as well.

A forum post isnt going to convince me otherwise. Your chain is one of the most important parts on your bike to maintain and that is NOT a risk you should take! I can post 1000 different ARTICLES that claim proper cleaning AND lubing is a must.

Couple arguments...

Motorcycle Chain Lube and the Grunge Brush - webBikeWorld

Motorcycle Chain Lube Maintenance

Why WD-40 is Bad for Your Bike Chain - Bicycle Tutor

Do as you choose...I dont recommend it at all. I dont even recommend it for cleaning the chain. Kerosene is what should be used for cleaning or a specific chain cleaning product then a proper chain lube.

Last edited:

Harda toenail

When we lube o-ring chains all we touch is the outside of the rings and the chain surface. Those o-rings are sealed with factory lube. We lube the chain to ease friction on the sprocket and chain movement which wd-40 works great on. Wd also keeps small particles from sticking to the chain reducing tension on the chain and sprocket.

Spunky99

I clean my chain in Coleman's white fuel. It's highly refined kerosene and leaves no residue when it dries. I use it to clean the bearings on my race skates and believe me, the Pros are always asking me why my skates roll faster and further than theirs. (They have new, greased bearings...LOL)

Then I use this and give the chain 2 real good soaks and let it dry for 24 hours.
Chain stays like new, no rust and no fling.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dupont-Multi-Use-Lubricant-oz-Spray/dp/B000GL19TY]Amazon.com: Dupont Multi-Use Lubricant 11 oz. Spray: Automotive[/ame]

Deanohh

Take any bolt and spray wd40 on it. Then put a nut on loosely over where the wd40 is. Put the bolt away for 1 year and then look at it. The wd40 will have turned to a brown gunky hard goo so that you probably won't be able to move the nut with your fingers.

Point? I never use wd40 on anything. Maybe to loosen something up quickly but for sure not long term. My dad didn't believe me and used it on his rifle scope focusing threads and the next season you couldn't move the focus ring at all... all locked together with the hard brown goo.

Harda toenail

I don't think anyone lubes their chain once a year. The only moving parts of the chain are those o-rings. We don't lube these. If anything we put on our chain gets into these, it's time for a new chain.

Deanohh

I guess if you keep putting it on the chain which is moving all the time, the new application would melt away anything left over from before.