Oil Grade

GoGreen09

Alright, since CB went ahead with the Synthetic vs Standard thread, I'm going to follow it up with this: 10W40 or 20W50 :D I'm not really asking which one's better, but I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed a big difference when using one over the other.

I started with 20W50 until my dealer changed my oil during my 4K check to 10W40. The bike just never felt the same after that. After 200 miles, I changed it again to 20W50 and things are feeling better again. I live in Northern California, so temperature here doesn't get to extremes. I just don't know if it's just me, or is 20W better for our bikes?

Once we get the verdict on syn vs std, I will try the winner to see if there is a difference. BTW, anyone here try Scott's Performance oil filter: Scotts Performance Products

WIyamirider

20W-50 would probably make the tranny feel a bit less notchy, and could have some smoothing effects within the engine because it is thicker. 20W-50 in theory could give better engine protection as well, since it stays a bit thicker when it is warm. However, location has to be taken into account.

Living in the northern mid-west, the warmest I've ever ridden in was the upper 90's. On the other hand, it's been in the 40's pretty much every morning for the past few weeks on my ride to work. 20W-50 is too thick for me to run, especially this time of year. It just doesn't flow fast enough at those temperatures.

For warmer climates, I'd run the 20W-50. For colder climates, I'd stick with the 10W-40.

angelsneverlose

20W-50 would probably make the tranny feel a bit less notchy, and could have some smoothing effects within the engine because it is thicker. 20W-50 in theory could give better engine protection as well, since it stays a bit thicker when it is warm. However, location has to be taken into account.

Living in the northern mid-west, the warmest I've ever ridden in was the upper 90's. On the other hand, it's been in the 40's pretty much every morning for the past few weeks on my ride to work. 20W-50 is too thick for me to run, especially this time of year. It just doesn't flow fast enough at those temperatures.

For warmer climates, I'd run the 20W-50. For colder climates, I'd stick with the 10W-40.
even in colder temps you could still run 20w50, you just have to make sure you let the bike warm up before getting on it...

Im in Maine, where its 30's already and haven't had issues running 20w50... just gotta let it warm up

JSP

Super Moderator
I use Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic. Didn't notice too much difference with it. A little smoother shifting but thats about it.