Oil Change Question (pre 600mi)

PARider

What's up everyone? Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to get another opinion. What do you all think about changing the oil before the 600 mile service? I'm at about 300mi and the thought of those pesky free floating metal particles make my head hurt. Also shifting has been a little rougher lately. Any objections? Got my k&n filter and 3I quarts of yamalube waiting, just don't know if I should wait until 600. Also, will this hurt the warranty?

Ride Safe:surrender:

JSP

Super Moderator
Not hurt the warranty and i think its a great idea to change before 600. I usually do first change around 200-300. Then 1000. Then every 2.5k-3k after that.

Last edited:

Deanohh

My last new bike I rode kinda hard and changed oil at 85 miles. All my new bikes I changed before 300 mi. And again at 600-700.

cdsdave

On all my new motors I have always gone by the book and have never had any issues doing it that way. I have to think the engineers that design and build these motors know the best way to break them in.

Dan McLean

Dont quote me on this, but many vehicles use a specal running in oil to lubricate the engines, not sure if Yamaha do on the 6R but if they do I wouldnt change it untill you have reched your 600m or 1000K as it is here in Australia. This lubricant must be left in for the 600 as the engine parts and bearings are tight and need the thinnner oil. Once your 600 is reached then change it. The oil filter is big enough to catch all particles for the run in period so dont worry.
The usual oil change is 10000K or 6000M, this would worry me as it is a long period for such a small capacity of oil. I would be prone to dropping the oil and changing it every 5000k or 3000M just to be on the safe side, but leaving the oil filter for the big service is fine,..
Dan

Invader Jim

Dont quote me on this, but many vehicles use a specal running in oil to lubricate the engines, not sure if Yamaha do on the 6R but if they do I wouldnt change it untill you have reched your 600m or 1000K as it is here in Australia. This lubricant must be left in for the 600 as the engine parts and bearings are tight and need the thinnner oil. Once your 600 is reached then change it. The oil filter is big enough to catch all particles for the run in period so dont worry.
The usual oil change is 10000K or 6000M, this would worry me as it is a long period for such a small capacity of oil. I would be prone to dropping the oil and changing it every 5000k or 3000M just to be on the safe side, but leaving the oil filter for the big service is fine,..
Dan
Sales guy at the dealership told me the oil was specifically desiged for break-in. I should have asked him for more info. I plan to change it at 600.

S

SkyOrDie

Sales guy at the dealership told me the oil was specifically desiged for break-in. I should have asked him for more info. I plan to change it at 600.
"Sales guy" means doesn't know sh*t and is used to making sh*t up. I have never seen any valid confirmation that Yamaha uses a special break-in oil. I say get rid of that particle-laden oil early.

-Stan

FitZ6R

What's up everyone? Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to get another opinion. What do you all think about changing the oil before the 600 mile service?
Too late. Your engine is already irreversibly damaged.

Oil and filter should be changed every 50 miles up to 500, then every 100 up to 1,000, then every 200 until 2,000. After that, you could probably get by with every 500-600. Full synthetic, of course.

:p

Or go by the book, and rest in confidence that you have a better chance of being struck by lighting than wearing out your engine. That's what I do.

KeysRider3

Do it. You and your bike will both feel better. No such thing as "break in oil". There's assembly lube that's used when the motor's put together, but the oil that's run through the motor is the same stuff recommended in your OM. Same for the oil filter. The reason both are changed at 600 mi is because of the particulate matter created when new parts move. The filter picks up most of it, but that much junk can affect the performance of the filter, which will make your motor very unhappy. Your tech - or you - can also see if there's an abnormal amount of material, or large particles not captured by the filter. I changed both at 300, 600 and 1K, then every 3K afterwards.