Odd Electrical Issue Any Ideas

horsegal

So i have a 2013 Yamahe FZ6R that has under 2,000 miles. every winter it is stored in a heated Garage and pulled back out during the summer for some fun.
The other day i was out riding and going down a road at 55 mph and had been riding for about 45 minutes when the bike randomly shut off completely. I pulled over to the side of the road and could not get the bike to restart. when the key was turned the dashboard lights would not even light up. after trying to call a friend for ideas i turned the key again and it started up like normal. i finished getting to my destination with out an issue. however after being there all day i started up my bike and it appeared normal but after riding for about 5 minutes it did the same thing this time as i was turning at an intersection. there was a parking lot i could push my bike into and did. looking over the bike could not see anything wrong (i am not a Mechanic) And battery Terminals are clean. this time however it was not until an hour and a half later that the bike when you turned the key would have the dashboard light up and be ready to start. I did not start it at that time and continued discussing my options with a friend when i turned the key again a few minutes later the dashboard never lighted up but the other lights on the bike (turn signals that light up as you turn the Key) came on. Decided to not drive the bike home but go get the trailer to get it home since parking lot is better then side of a road. when i got back with the trailer it started right up and was driven up into the trailer. Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on? one suggestion that has been mentioned is my battery might have a collapsed cell. other suggestion is a loose electrical connection somewhere.

anson650

This sounds like it could end up at the dealership/ mechanic's. But before you trailer it in to them check all the connections starting at the battery and working out, check the fuses. There could be a something not quite tight enough. Cheaper for you to find it than a $80 per hour tech. There could be a heat related issue with a component.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Anson

Try moving the wires below the ignition switch and check for rodent intrusion. They like to chew things if left idle too long. Lift the tank to gain access to more wires and consider pulling the air box to get to the loom where it enters the frame.

Also check the fuses connection at the battery.

So i have a 2013 Yamahe FZ6R that has under 2,000 miles. every winter it is stored in a heated Garage and pulled back out during the summer for some fun.
The other day i was out riding and going down a road at 55 mph and had been riding for about 45 minutes when the bike randomly shut off completely. I pulled over to the side of the road and could not get the bike to restart. when the key was turned the dashboard lights would not even light up. after trying to call a friend for ideas i turned the key again and it started up like normal. i finished getting to my destination with out an issue. however after being there all day i started up my bike and it appeared normal but after riding for about 5 minutes it did the same thing this time as i was turning at an intersection. there was a parking lot i could push my bike into and did. looking over the bike could not see anything wrong (i am not a Mechanic) And battery Terminals are clean. this time however it was not until an hour and a half later that the bike when you turned the key would have the dashboard light up and be ready to start. I did not start it at that time and continued discussing my options with a friend when i turned the key again a few minutes later the dashboard never lighted up but the other lights on the bike (turn signals that light up as you turn the Key) came on. Decided to not drive the bike home but go get the trailer to get it home since parking lot is better then side of a road. when i got back with the trailer it started right up and was driven up into the trailer. Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on? one suggestion that has been mentioned is my battery might have a collapsed cell. other suggestion is a loose electrical connection somewhere.
It sounds like one of the electrical connections, like the ignition switch, is either not secure or going bad. This would be something for a real mechanic to work with since electrical issues are small and need some good knowledge and if something goes wrong you could be out a bike.

anson650

Hello Horsegal,
It's been a couple of weeks. I hope you found the problem and have been riding in our beautiful fall weather. If it was something so simple that you are embarrassed to admit it, that's ok. We all have or will soon enough. I hope that is the case. If it's still in the shop with an undiagnosable problem, I feel your pain. Please let us know what's up.
Anson