NY to NV trip - Change Oil?

Well I am sitting at my house in Nevada and I made the trip without a hitch. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on changing my engine oil after the trip down here. Before I left I did a PureOne filter along with 3 qts of Mobil1 4T 10w40. The total trip was approximately 2300 miles and all of it was highway and mostly at a constant 6000-7000 rpms. I rode about 500-600 miles per day with rest breaks and fuel stops. I am also thinking about leaving the bike down here for good and riding it in Vegas.

jakeaz

running for long times is really good on the engine and oil its the stop and go and start up and shut downs that damage your engine the most

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Chucker

+1 on waiting. If anything, you could prolong the change interval rather than shorten it after a long trip of mostly highway, constant speed riding.

I would leave it be and just change oil in another 1700 miles like service says.

Glad you made it okay and hope you enjoyed the trip!
I did enjoy my trip, however I am getting old (34) and I would really like to ride back through the northern route in spring time. I think I will be selling the FZ6R here in Las Vegas in April when I come back and buying something bigger and more comfortable to tour on and travel around town. I knew when I bought the FZ6R that it would just be a starter bike and something to learn on. I could only handle 500-600 miles per day before my legs, back and ass hurt like hell. So now the search is on for something that I can ride with my girlfriend one and both be comfortable. The list so far includes (unless someone has a suggestion on something I missed)

Yamaha FJR1300
Kawasaki Concours 14
Honda ST1300 (sat on one and didn't like it)
BMW R1200RT (used R1150RT) - sat on one and really liked it, however didn't like the price tag

Spitfire

I did enjoy my trip, however I am getting old (34) and I would really like to ride back through the northern route in spring time. I think I will be selling the FZ6R here in Las Vegas in April when I come back and buying something bigger and more comfortable to tour on and travel around town. I knew when I bought the FZ6R that it would just be a starter bike and something to learn on. I could only handle 500-600 miles per day before my legs, back and ass hurt like hell. So now the search is on for something that I can ride with my girlfriend one and both be comfortable. The list so far includes (unless someone has a suggestion on something I missed)

Yamaha FJR1300
Kawasaki Concours 14
Honda ST1300 (sat on one and didn't like it)
BMW R1200RT (used R1150RT) - sat on one and really liked it, however didn't like the price tag
First off don't list bikes you don't like!!! Secondly, get a Goldwing =P

Chucker

yfz6r

Just check the level and you keep what you have in there. My bike takes more than 3q with filter change. 7k rpms is nothing for this motor. enjoy!