Notice anything after first service?

C

CravenMoorhead

While it has only been a few hundred miles after my first service, I have noted easier shifting (particularly between 1st and 2nd but still a "thunk" shifting down to first from neutral) and engine temp peak not as high in general (even though I have been revving much higher since).

This may be a placebo type effect since I was looking for such changes but what has been your experience so far?

S

staticghost

While it has only been a few hundred miles after my first service, I have noted easier shifting (particularly between 1st and 2nd but still a "thunk" shifting down to first from neutral) and engine temp peak not as high in general (even though I have been revving much higher since).

This may be a placebo type effect since I was looking for such changes but what has been your experience so far?
Well I know how you feel. I felt the same way when I got mine back from the dealer. I have about 16475 miles on the bike now, bought it with 9912 miles and only had it serviced twice since I got it. First and second gears are like that on FZ6 now matter what oil you use. It’s normal. I did not like it at first but am used to it now.
Take care of you baby and she will do the same. As always, safe riding.

D

dako81

Sounds pretty normal after an engine break in/chain adjustment/oil change, etc.

My FZ6 was the same way. No placebo.

reiobard

the break in oil is different than the normal oil and it gets dirty and full of metal very quickly in a new engine, so once new oil is in there it feels like a new bike. Ironically the bike feels a ton better after each oil change, the clutch uses the engine oil, so as the oil gets bad/worn out the bike slowly looses some of it's performance, and when new clean oil is in there it feels great again!

R

Red Wazp

Never noticed any real difference with after oil change with any of my bikes. I vote placebo. Not that there is anything wrong with that:)

O

oldfast007

Ya, I noticed I was $126.00 lighter in the wallet for keeping up with "warranty" requirements, I've been doing my own services since...

S

sjryser

Did you go synthetic?
.JUST KIDDING...don't answer that!

phantomxc

I actually had my 600 mile service yesterday, and the first thing I noticed was the shifting. All of my gears seem to have a smoother transition, specifically down shifting. That's the good thing....

The bad...I actually feel like the bike doesn't have as much power. Just doesn't feel as torquey if that's a word. I'm wondering exactly what they did :confused:

C

CanadianFZ6

I actually had my 600 mile service yesterday,

The bad...I actually feel like the bike doesn't have as much power. Just doesn't feel as torquey if that's a word. I'm wondering exactly what they did :confused:
Well it is only an FZ6R.... Not like the more powerful 98HP FZ6 brother....;)

xplodnstar

Well it is only an FZ6R.... Not like the more powerful 98HP FZ6 brother....;)
It's not about the size of your horsepower, it's how you use it. :p

M

MarinaFazer

I noticed that my bank account was robbed...I've never been back for service and do it all at home. :)

D

dako81

I actually had my 600 mile service yesterday, and the first thing I noticed was the shifting. All of my gears seem to have a smoother transition, specifically down shifting. That's the good thing....

You're getting used to the bike. Placebo.

A

agmom98

It's not a placebo effect. It just shows that you're more sensitive to these nuanced changes than others are, and it's always good to be aware of subtle changes in the bike's performance or handling. :thumbup:

I notice this every time I get either my FZ6 or my BMW serviced. Got the BMW serviced yesterday and the throttle response is now much smoother at very low speeds - no more herky jerky in stop and go traffic - because the throttle bodies were re-synched at this particular service interval. Got FZ6 serviced today and the shifting was definitely smoother, requiring a lighter touch at the toe. Also just had the steering head and swing arm re-packed at the 16,000 mile interval and what a difference that made! I'd forgotten about that service item and when I got on the bike, started her up, and turned the wheel to pull away it was like the front wheel wasn't even touching the ground, the steering was so light. Then I looked down at the steering head and noticed the little bit of grease showing and remembered.

fz6rwolf

Just had 1st service today (waited until 978 miles LOL) and coming home noticed no difference at all, maybe on a longer ride I'll notice some small nuances but coming home today was all highway.

rl666

Just got my first service yesterday(600 Mi) and I could feel the difference afterwards.
Felt like I had a little more power and shifting was a little smoother.

MNDZA

I'm approaching 800 miles and haven't had my service yet. I'm gonna go in when my exhaust gets here and do them both together. The dealer said not to worry about the miles......you think it'll be ok?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'm approaching 800 miles and haven't had my service yet. I'm gonna go in when my exhaust gets here and do them both together. The dealer said not to worry about the miles......you think it'll be ok?
Personally, I wouldn't wait. The break-in period is a time for the internal parts to polish and hone themselves, possibly leaving metal shavings. The first service will remove much (if not all) of the metal during the first 600 miles.

fz6rwolf

I was just under 1,000 when had mine done and they said after service everything was hunky-dory and everything feels right. Most metal shaving get trapped in the filter and it'll really take a couple changes to get it all. Some people change oil after 100 miles and then again at 1st service. Probably after 2 changes may switch to synthetic, I've had good experience with synthetic before.