Noobie FZ6R Lessons

JoshF

As you have seen by my recent posts I bought my 1st bike last week. My only riding experienceto date was a MSF course I took 3 years ago. MSF was all in a parking lot so I never took a bike on the street. While it is true that I have my M1 license, it is more true that I don't know what to do with it. The FZ6R sat in my garage for the past week and although I was tempted to experiment I didn't want to harm the bike or me without some training

Enter Moto Mike... I found him on Yelp and he seems to help a lot of people learn to ride in San Francisco. He teaches you real world riding lessons on the street. He starts you off on one of his bikes too so no need to worry about dropping your baby doing figure eights... His training is 8 hours and it takes place over a weekend with 4 hours on Saturday & 4 hours on Sunday.

For the days leading up to my lesson I was checking the weather and it kept saying Sunny all weekend. Good thing the weather guys know what they're doing because as I drove to Mike's on Saturday the roads were nice and wet and the rain was falling. No worries I figure - one needs to know how to ride in the rain anyways.

I get to Mike's place and he tells me to get on the back of his Nighthawk 250. He says "Don't worry, you won't fall off unless you jump and please don't jump." Um, ok - let's go. We ride in the rain to a parking lot in the Presidio. Mike is really knowledgeable and he is giving me a lot of great information on the ride over.

In the lot he goes over what I need to know about motorcycles. He also showed me how to get familiar with the size and feel of different bikes with some simple drills to try before starting to ride. I do the exercises he tells me to and than he says he wants me to do the same exercises with him as a passenger. I thought this would be really difficult but it wasn't very different from riding alone.

Next we leave the parking lot and he teaches me how to ride on the street. The whole time he was on the back of the bike giving me pointers - very helpful and confidence inspiring.

Day 2 - His bike and mine. On Sunday I took his Nighthawk again and he rode my FZ6R. He had me do more drills in the Presidio to warm up and review Saturday's training. After that we hit the road again. We did more on street riding and then practiced riding and stopping in dirt, through grass, and over curbs. It's really simple if you know how to do it. Next we do some work stopping and starting on hills. I thought this would be a lot harder than it was. It's really fine.

He asks me to follow him and I oblige. Next thing I know we're on the entrance ramp to the Golden Gate Bridge. This was really cool because I didn't even have time to psych myself out. I ride across the bridge and it's great. Why did I wait so long to get a motorcycle??? We take the Sausalito exit and head into town to a coffee shop.

After our break he teaches me how to ride the FZ6R in a parking lot. I was amazed at how smooth and perfect this new bike felt. It fit me perfectly and did whatever I asked of it. Also, it was not intimidating at all. I learned proper throttle control and the bike felt great. It has a ton of power but it is very smooth and manageable.

Back to San Francisco over the Golden Gate but this time I ride the FZ6R. What a difference between that and the 250. Into town, riding down Lombard St and he talls me to switch bikes at a traffic light. OK. Next thing I know he tricked me again... We're riding down the twisty portion of Lombard St. I never would have taken this on my own. We go down at a slow pace and it's very easy. At the bottom we switch bikes again, do a little more work on the street before finishing at Coit tower.

What a great instructor. I now feel totally confident with my motorcycle. I'm looking forward to more safe riding and having a blast on the bike. And I am thrilled that I bought the FZ6R.

Roaddawg

Isn't the city traffic fun. Glad you got some instruction time. Too bad it's suppose to rain the rest of this week. I work in SF at the Supreme Court house and ride both over the Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate, depending on my mood. It's hard to split the traffic on Lombard and the Golden Gate because the lanes are narrow, so I tend to go on 80 more. Starting up hills can be a challenge. I try to avoid Gough and Franklin and take Van Ness (even though they tend to flow better), because I don't like getting stopped at the top of those some of those hills. Keep on practicing. And, watch out for those no-signaling lane changers and red light runners! Oh, and come March-ish, we'll plan another Bay Area ride.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
It is really nice to hear that someone took such an interest in teaching a fellow rider how to ride and be more confident while doing it. :thumbup:

Keep on practicing the drills and techniques and you will become a more proficient and confident rider each and every time out.

People really don't understand why we ride until they try it for themselves. It truly is a great sense of freedom and enjoyment.

JonKerr

Elite Member

ramflyer1899

It is really nice to hear that someone took such an interest in teaching a fellow rider how to ride and be more confident while doing it. :thumbup:

Keep on practicing the drills and techniques and you will become a more proficient and confident rider each and every time out.

People really don't understand why we ride until they try it for themselves. It truly is a great sense of freedom and enjoyment.
I kept waiting for there to be some kind of twist. Like then he dropped my bike or whatever.

Glad it worked out and you found such a competent teacher!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I kept waiting for there to be some kind of twist. Like then he dropped my bike or whatever.

Glad it worked out and you found such a competent teacher!
Yeah, I was waiting to read that the guy took off on your brand new bike, leaving you with his 250 Nighthawk. :eek:

Glad it didn't go down that way. ;)

FitZ6R

It's very cool that you were able to get that kind of instruction!

It makes me think.... People spend their time and money violin lessons, golf lessons, ice skating lessons, aerobics classes, "life coaches" (whatever that its), etc., etc. But when it comes to drivers and motorcycle riders, at least in the U.S., the vast majority of us do the bare minimum of training to get licensed, then take our chances with trial-and-error learning on the streets. :(

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

amirw

what is the march ride if you don't mine
I have a friend coming to visit and we are renting two Harlie's for the weekend.
I never ride one before hope it is fun. We are going to Napa and then HWY 1 down to Monterey

joloy133

Bay Area ride which may happen in March. Just had a short meet/ride in Vallejo-Napa Area. Harleys not necessary.

NYGirl

Worth it!!!

porky45

380 is well worth it. Especially for 1 on 1 training. jeesh. i paid 250 or something like that for my MSF course and that was just a whole bunch of people in a parking lot on some 1987 125cc hondas haha.

GoGreen09

For the Bay Area guys, check this out:
CLASS Motorcycle Schools:: The Nations Premier Street Motorcycle School

This is the best $300 I've spent on the bike so far. I was able to push the bike to my limits, but doing it with great instructions. MSF gets you the base knowledge, but CLASS gives you so much tools so you learn how to control the bike, not the other way around.

I would've loved a one-on-one, only if I knew someone like this was around. I think I got the next best thing, since the CLASS instructors do offer to follow you and give you one-on-one tips after one lap. It's not 8 hours, but I still got something out of it!