NOOB to this forum and to motorcycles

alh081

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....a little history.......
I considered getting my m1 years ago and passed my permit but never followed through on the motorcycles course...it then expired and i thought to myself that I probably won't be getting my m1. But, after I got my current job and paying $70 a week on gas, i decided that getting my m1 would be beneficial.

So, I took the riders course and passed last month(which was a lot of fun), passed the permit test, and started searching for a bike. After a few weeks of searching, i was informed about the FZ6R by a customer and after some research, just seemed like the best bike for me.

Went to my local car dealership to check it out in person, LOVED IT. Decided that its the bike i'm going to get and started shopping around. Best price i got OTD was $7900. Informed my local dealership and got it for $8000 OTD. I wanted a white one so I put down a deposit last week so they can search for it. I went back to the dealership today to finalize paperwork and was told the bike should be here this week. FINAL OTD price (after warranty and GAP insurance) was about $9200.

NOW IM SOOOOOOO EXCITED and cant wait until they deliver it!! :D

alh081

I have been told I was dumb for buying a new bike as a first bike since I was told that I "WILL" drop it but what can i say.....i fell for the bike and a used one was $6k locally.

Oh yeah, and also, I am a total noob to motorcycles and will be using this forum a lot for help. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Bradlockard

dude seriously before you take it home make sure you have crash protection!!! frame sliders, swing arm spools, and they even make protectors for your engine cover and all that jazz. it'll be the best investment you make. all i'm saying is that should be your first mod. better than crashing and screwing up all kinds of sh*t.

Enjarin

Elite Member

Bradlockard

No cut sliders were the first mod I made. Wouldn't ya know it a week later I slipped on some mud pulling it out of the garage and down it went. No damage to bike at all. Best $59 I ever spent.

Get some stuff to protect the bike and more stuff to protect you. Then ride and have fun.
i automatically assume that everyone rides with gear :facepalm: yeah right huh?

meganiimarie

I was told the same thing about buying new for my first bike, but there are a few benefits (lower insurance, you can be more sure there isn't something damaged at purchase, a warranty, etc.)

That said, I did lay it down in the first 3k miles. Besides a broken mirror, the frame sliders did exactly what they were supposed to and all was well at the end of the day. Highly recommend proper gear, then frame sliders, then whatever tickles your fancy.

I have been told I was dumb for buying a new bike as a first bike since I was told that I "WILL" drop it but what can i say.....i fell for the bike and a used one was $6k locally.

Oh yeah, and also, I am a total noob to motorcycles and will be using this forum a lot for help. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

alh081

Thanks for all the replies. I purchased SHOGUN sliders and having the dealership install them before they deliver it. I knew those were the first things that are going to be on them.

As for the price, it'd be cheaper if i didnt buy the extended warranty and gap insurance. That is what cost almost $1000 extra. The frame sliders and install was $180 as well. So technically..the bike itself would have been $8000 OTD..but those addons......i debated a while on whether or not i needed them..but eh...

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks for all the replies. I purchased SHOGUN sliders and having the dealership install them before they deliver it. I knew those were the first things that are going to be on them.

As for the price, it'd be cheaper if i didnt buy the extended warranty and gap insurance. That is what cost almost $1000 extra. The frame sliders and install was $180 as well. So technically..the bike itself would have been $8000 OTD..but those addons......i debated a while on whether or not i needed them..but eh...
You can still cancel those... Gap is up to you but i would dump the extended personally. These bikes are honestly amazing. There are just no problems with them. If anything were to arise it would be well within the manufacturers warranty. Yamaha got this one dead right with reliability.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

alh081

You can still cancel those... Gap is up to you but i would dump the extended personally. These bikes are honestly amazing. There are just no problems with them. If anything were to arise it would be well within the manufacturers warranty. Yamaha got this one dead right with reliability.
I decided to get gap after some consideration. As for the warranty, i ended getting extra 24 months ($450) instead of the 48 months they wanted me to have $$650).

Welcome to the forum!! I am sure that you are going to enjoy that 6R!!! Don't be afraid to take the bike apart and get familiar with it. I had every bolt down, I knew which size and where they all were. I took mine apart numerous times (for mods of course). You can't go wrong, just make sure that you don't have any left over hardware!! :eek:
I sure i'll be taking things apart sooner than later since i love working on cars already. :p

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

DakinechicK

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! :cheer:

Welcome to my favorite forum!! Congrats on the new bike! Be safe and enjoy.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Michael Wilson

I agree with seth. full gear nad crash protection. Ride in your limits! Once you get comfortable on the bike go through a few twisties, slow and first, then when you get comfortable go a little fast little fast little fast then bam! Riding better then most people on the street :) welcome to the world of motorcycle geeks :p