noise after tire swap?

cbzdel

Came out of work to a flat rear tire with a screw in it :eek:

Trucked the bike home, took off the rear wheel and took it into cycle gear for a new tire. I decided on a Dunlop Q2 170/60. Not my tire of choice but my section was VERY limited and this is my daily rider so I needed it fixed ASAP. I didnt really want a 170 tire but they did not have any 160s in stock, and I know several on here have upsized to a 170.

Put the wheel back on, spent ALOT of time trying to get the chain tension correct, and alignment correct. I was just getting some very loud chain noise that I could not get rid of with different chain tensions and alignments, so I lubed the chain and took it for a spin to test it out and I was getting a strange buzzing noise. It sounds like a car with a hole in the muffler. I check over the whole bike, checking for lose bolts, problems with my (stock) exhaust. Nothing, everything checks out.

Anyone have this rear tire and have any problems with noise? After looking over the whole bike the only thing I can think of is road noise from the new tire. But this does not tell me why the chain noise is louder??

Roaddawg

What about the direction of the tire? Is it in the right rotation (look for the arrows)? Not that I think this could be it, but....if everything else is good, might be.

Also, I've noticed that when aligning the rear/chain, those brackets (on the rear axle bolts) rotate a little back and forth. I wedge a penny/nickel under one of the tabs so that they are both either touching the front tabs or rear tabs. If one is rotated front and one back, that little difference could misalign the chain/sprockets enough to cause the humming.

(If I confused you, I'll take some pics.)

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
That's exactly why I put that in there...I've seen that and it's not pretty. I figured it'd be a way to rule out the tire if there's a lot of noise with out it contacting anything.
I've done it many times... it is a good way to hear things while they are moving. Just dont be stupid like the GSXR guy and stick your damn hands in there! :spank:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

"road noise / tire-2-asphalt"
It could be, that what I could not be sure about, since my last tires did not have this sound.

I let the bike run up on the stand and it sounded normal, the chain seemed a little louder than normal, but maybe its all in my head?

MikeN02

Until it explodes!

Maybe it's because you're not used to running a 170 tire instead of 160.

I have Q2's on my R6 and their great so far, I dunno as these are my first "after-market" tires other than stock.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

I will def. check out the alignment of the chain again. I almost want to hop on my bike on the stand and rev it up and see if I get the same noise :eek:

Oh come on I can trust my harbor freight stand right :D