Ninja 1000 - Review

sammy56

So the Kawasaki team had a demo day today (and tomorrow) in Atlanta so I went down to check it out.....and rode the Ninja 1000. They took us out in groups of 8 or 9 for about 30 - 40 minutes on local roads with speed limits of 45 mph. Top speed I ever reached was 60, but it was still fun and some of the roads has a few nice turns.
So here are my thoughts on the bike:
Very fun indeed and the power is very manageable. Slightly more top heavy (I find) than the FZ6R, likely due to the tall and skinny gas tank. I put the adjustable windscreen at it's highest setting and it was very comfortable and no buffeting. Not sure how it would perform over 75mph.
Since the bike has a nice amount of torque, I never got outside of 3rd gear and spent most of the ride in 2nd gear at about 50 mph. Good leg room and very comfy ergos for me (I am 5'10"). I have to admit I very much enjoyed the extra power, but I can only compare it to the two bikes I have owned over the years (SV 650 and FZ6R).
I did find the bike buzzy at 6000/7000 rpm's in the seat, legs gripping the tank and feet. Handle bars were free of any vibration. The buzziness really did make me appreciate the FZ6R a lot as it's ride is as comfortable as I can ever imagine.
Going back home from the ride, when I jumped on the highway, I found myself wishing I had the extra power, but nothing a more agressive twist of the wrist couldn't correct (to a degree). Anyway, the Ninja 1000 is a great bike, but I think I would look to something else unless the seat to toes buzzing is dampened (for me). FZ1 seems to me to still be a better option should I ever decide to move to a more powerful bike.:wav:

LB

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

sammy56