New to riding

Eorr

I am a new rider and have just recently completed my MSF course ( And Passed !!!). The instructor did not spend much time talking about shifting.....more specifically gear to speed ratio. I guess my question is this, I usually shift between 6k and 7k which is quite smooth bit if I was traveling in say third gear at 45 MPH and was at 6k could I stay at that speed and tack setting Indefinitely or must I shift up. Does this have an impact on the gas mileage. When I'm traveling in town I feel like I'm working myself to death trying to get through all the gears only to have slow and start working my way back down.

I have a 2011 FZ6R.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

rhnatyk

You only "have" to up shift when you hit redline. Other than that you can ride in any gear that is appropriate to maintaining your current speed with enough power on tap to accelerate if you need to. Gas mileage is directly affected by engine RPM. If you're cruising along at 6000 RPM, you'll get better gas mileage than if you were at 10,000 RPM.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OWm3N6Um3Q

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Eorr

Thank you for the response. The video was also very helpful. This is an amazing forum......glad I found it !!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

since you're New to riding, don't worry so much about keeping track of RPM's, get to know the bike and how the powerband feels to you - there is no right or wrong, one rider may like to keep the revs higher, while another might want to stay more in the mid-range.

take it slow at first, be careful and the rest will come naturally... congrats on the new bike and MSF course!:cool:

Eorr

That's good advise! Thank you. I think I'm starting to get it. I try to ride at every opportunity and I'm finding my bite will tell me exactly what it wants. I believe I was over thinking it and not paying attention to the sound and feel of the bike.

You guys really know your stuff!! Thanks for making us new riders feel at home and being patient with all the questions.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

latony007

That's good advise! Thank you. I think I'm starting to get it. I try to ride at every opportunity and I'm finding my bite will tell me exactly what it wants. I believe I was over thinking it and not paying attention to the sound and feel of the bike.

You guys really know your stuff!! Thanks for making us new riders feel at home and being patient with all the questions. ��
Thats what this forum is all about! A lot of riding is by "feel" and as you mentioned with this bike honestly thinking what you want to do is usually enough to make it do it. Just ride within your limits, never let anyone push you faster than you feel comfortable and enjoy the hell out of it, we all do :)