New To FZ6r And To This Form

A1A

I would like to say hello and introduce myself to everyone. I'm not sure if this is the correct area for this or not. I'll be picking up my new 2009 Blue FZ6r tomorrow 9-21-2010. I have went through several bikes since I started riding along time ago. My bikes in order of ownership, 1958 HD Sportster H, 2000 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder, 2004 Suzuki SV-650N, 2005 Suzuki VStrom 650, 2007 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250S. Bikes I own now are the 2010 Yamaha FJR 1300 and the Yamaha FZ6r. I think I'll be a Yamaha rider for a long time in the future.
I'm from Jax Beach, Florida and retired from the U.S. Navy after 26 years active service.
I'd like to ask everyone to please tell me the pros and cons with ownership of the Yamaha FZ6r?

Again I would like to say HELLO to everyone and look forward to responding to threads of the site.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

Welcome welcome :)

Here's my .02

Pros
Comfortable, upright riding position
Easier handling & tame power
Simple to read console & controls

Cons
Heavy weight
Mirrors could be better
Maybe just a little underpowered

creggur

Welcome aboard from the North side of Jax! Spent six years in the Navy back in the 90's...

Last edited:

fz6rwolf

Retired Navy here also (23 years, MAC, USN). Think you'll enjoy the bike.

Superzoom

Welcome,

For pros, I'd say:

- upright position, comfortable
- decent suspension out-of-the-box
- great, tractable motor for all-around riding
- good mileage
- moderate weight

Cons:

- lack of aftermarket accessories
- the seat is sloped and is only comfortable for an hour or less
- windscreen is bad for turbulence (and so is Yamaha Double Bubble)
- engine slightly buzzy around 6000 rpm

Overall, I'd say the FZ6R is an amazingly well-balanced all-arounder, with no glaring weaknesses and many strengths. It's basically a modern standard with a sport bike fairing.

J.J.

Welcome, retired Army here :D
Pros:
Best bang for the buck, lets me buy more toys & mod it out.
Cons:
Needs Better Seat for longer rides..

By far a great value imo. Very good friends with my yammi dealer & this was the bike he steered me too & he wasn't wrong. His service manager who could own whatever bike he wants owns this bike.

A1A

Dart1963, Thanks for the freindly welcome.

Detrich, Agree with all the pro's, Con's - I wonder if anybody makes spacers to extend the mirrors out about 3/4" or so?

creggur, Cool! We will have to all meet up sometime for a ride and kick the tire session.

fz6rwolf, Hi shipmate! I think I'm going to enjoy this fun bike as well.

Superzoom, Right on and agree with your pro's and con's. I'm not to concerned about the windsreen, had the same effect with the SV650 Naked I had. But I sure hope Sargents has a seat replacement.

J.J., Thanks for the welcome and I agree with your pro's and con's as well.

Thanks to all who have responded to my post.

CDN6R

:thumbup: Hello and welcome to the site! This is a great place to find lots of information. After 15 years of being bike less I purchased my FZ6R last May. You will find this bike a blast to ride,comphy,great on fuel and plenty of "real world" power. I retired from Michelin Tire about 2 years ago and love being home (Mr Mom) looking afer my 2 kids (11 and 15) while the real Mom works as a teacher. Our 6R's are great bikes,you will love it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

creggur

creggur, Cool! We will have to all meet up sometime for a ride and kick the tire session.

But I sure hope Sargents has a seat replacement.
Any time - I'm always ready for a ride!

Sargent doesn't have a seat available yet, but you are in luck because they're in Jacksonville. I talked to them about doing a 'World Sport' mod on my wife's FZ6R seat and the rough quote they gave was very reasonable.

You could just stop in there and have them hook you up with a custom job:cool:

A1A

CDN6R, Thanks for the friendly welcome. I'm glad I found this site and already picking up some good info. Retired from Michelin Tire, I guess you get a good deal on the Pilot Road 2 motorcycle tires? I guess you appreciate the fact you are home and watching the kids grow up as well? Both you and your misses ride the FZ6r Yamaha, how cool is that! I always get that big smile when ever I'm out riding the FZ6r, great fun factor.

Dart1963, Thanks for the good feedback and I'll take you up on the FZ6r longevity questions. I plan on keeping both the FZ6r and FJR for a long time as well. I just thought of a question for you already. Did you get a valve lash inspection at 16,000 miles?

Thanks!

A1A

:thumbup: Hello and welcome to the site! This is a great place to find lots of information. After 15 years of being bike less I purchased my FZ6R last May. You will find this bike a blast to ride,comphy,great on fuel and plenty of "real world" power. I retired from Michelin Tire about 2 years ago and love being home (Mr Mom) looking afer my 2 kids (11 and 15) while the real Mom works as a teacher. Our 6R's are great bikes,you will love it.
Any time - I'm always ready for a ride!

Sargent doesn't have a seat available yet, but you are in luck because they're in Jacksonville. I talked to them about doing a 'World Sport' mod on my wife's FZ6R seat and the rough quote they gave was very reasonable.

You could just stop in there and have them hook you up with a custom job:cool:
creggur, Sargent makes a comfortable seat I have one on my FJR 1300 and had one on my Suzuki Bandit 1250S, great product. Yep I'll see them about doing a atomic foam install using the stock FZ6r seat pan.
We can hook up sometime after I get my bike broken in and I'll send you a PM. My buddy just bought the new VFR 1200 two weeks ago and he is really happy with it. He got lazy or got a deal he coundn't refuse. Because he got the automatic version.

:)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

creggur

creggur, Sargent makes a comfortable seat I have one on my FJR 1300 and had one on my Suzuki Bandit 1250S, great product. Yep I'll see them about doing a atomic foam install using the stock FZ6r seat pan.
We can hook up sometime after I get my bike broken in and I'll send you a PM. My buddy just bought the new VFR 1200 two weeks ago and he is really happy with it. He got lazy or got a deal he coundn't refuse. Because he got the automatic version.

:)
He's not the guy on VFRD that's having concerns over the bike running hot is he? I have to admit, when I first got the VFR the side radiators kinda got me too - in 95 degree Florida heat when that fan kicks on and you're sitting in traffic the heat just pours up onto you...Good times.

Yep, Sargent is the bomb - got one on my VFR and I love it. Gonna get my wife's FZ6R done this winter when their production slows down and the lead time for custom work shortens up...

Like I said, any time you wanna ride, let me know. A buddy of mine with a CBR1000 and I ride a lot of Saturdays.

A1A

That's not until 26600 mi according to the manual... from what I've heard, it'll be an experience, hopefully something I can do myself, or have my buddy who's been riding/mechanic for many years show me how.
My bad, I just researched my Owners Manual and found it and yes its a 26,600 mile service. Thats really cool and the reason I like Yamaha.

A1A

He's not the guy on VFRD that's having concerns over the bike running hot is he? I have to admit, when I first got the VFR the side radiators kinda got me too - in 95 degree Florida heat when that fan kicks on and you're sitting in traffic the heat just pours up onto you...Good times.

Yep, Sargent is the bomb - got one on my VFR and I love it. Gonna get my wife's FZ6R done this winter when their production slows down and the lead time for custom work shortens up...

Like I said, any time you wanna ride, let me know. A buddy of mine with a CBR1000 and I ride a lot of Saturdays.
Yes, thats him and he now understands because its the automatic its warmer than the manual clutch version. My FJR is about the warmest bike I ever owned. It will feel good though in the fall, winter and spring. When there is that cold chill in the air.
Okay, Saturdays is when I ride a lot as well. I only have a few miles on the FZ6r, so when I get close to full break in I'll give you shout.

MyBabyFZ6R

New FZ6R owner

HI

My name is Robin I'm from McHenry Illinois but a native of Northwoods Wisconsin.:Sport::Sport:

I'm new to the site and bought my FZ6R a week ago. I learn to ride 4 years ago. I bought a 1982 Suzuki 450 to learn with. Now, I need something better to ride on highways and to keep up with everyone else. This seems like a great site and can't wait to check it out.

Thanks for the welcome.

W

whatever

welcome..... it's a nice bike easy to ride and lots
of fun.

and the power comes on down low you don't have to rev the motor that much... and when you want to move out alittle faster the bike takes off pretty good.

kind of a jack of all trades of a bike.

may went to drop the gearing alttle if you ride the freeways alot most riders do.

Heineken

Elite Member