Need Help New rider - Intergrated led taillight - brake light issue

Justus T

First off, hey everyone!!
I own an 09 Fz6r.
So I bought a $60 Integrated LED Tail Light off ebay a good bit ago and didn't realize the connections were going to be different.
I feel awful at explaining things sometimes, so bare with me lol.
So the connection for the taillight on the bike itself, I believe had a male connector.
The taillight I ordered didn't have anything to plug in, it was just the wires.
I figured I could just splice the connections together and it'd be okay.
The taillight comes on beautifully, just the brake lights don't seem to be working when I use the front and rear brakes.
I'm not riding until I figure out what's going on.
People need to know when I'm using my brakes lol.
I believe I have everything connected properly as well.
Black to black - the ground
Red wire from the taillight to blue wire on the bike - running light
Blue wire from the taillight to yellow wire on the bike - brake light
I have pictures of everything, but I'm trying to figure out how to upload them.
I've also searched around on here to see if anyone had any similar issues.
Someone mentioned a possible fuse issue and I believe the other was a bad switch??
Anyways, any help or ideas would be much appreciated.
Thank you!!
I'm glad to know there's an Fz6r group/family that's here to help each other out!!

Attachments

Jerzee55

If you own a voltmeter, simply test the connection from the 'brake line' with a meter, to make certain voltage is getting to the wire you believe is the brake line. If it is, the problem is your tail assembly or 'bulb' in the tail assembly. If you are not getting voltage to that wire, first check the fuse for the brake line. if that is good, then check the switch(es) chances are it is not the brake switches if neither brake is activating the light. If you don't have a voltmeter or 12v test light, you could always use the tail light to test the line from the brake line by disconnecting it from the running light line and hooking it up temporarily to the brake line. My first guess, and the easiest to check is the fuse, but keep in mind there may be connectors in the wire harness that have come loose. I am pretty sure there is a connector (an in line bullet type) for the running light, and may also be one for the brake light as well, on the right side of the bike (sitting on it) just behind the seat beneath a plastic body panel behind the seat. :) Mine disconnected and I lost my running light briefly. :)) Good luck, and take your time. It is not rocket science, just take time to trace 'voltage'. If you have a 12 v test light (a bulb with wires hanging off of it), you can test voltage at the brake switches or before and after the fuse, so make certain there is not a wire harness issue (unlikely, unless someone was hacking off wires). Speaking of which, rather than use wire nuts to connect wires, consider 'crimping' or soldering them together. You can get a relatively cheap crimp set and tool, and use 'bullet style connectors (automotive) that are secure (from vibration) make a good connection are are (nearly) waterproof), not likely to corrode. Wire nuts can vibrate off (at the worst times) and not recommended for vehicles (too much vibration). Good luck, and take your time. :) You've got this. :)

Justus T

Update - I fixed and finished the taillight!!
Simple fix - The wires just needed to be swapped around lol...
The manufacturer labeled the wires incorrectly, gotta love it.
(Udated wiring below)
Black to black - ground
Red from the taillight to yellow on the bike - running light
Blue to blue - brake light
Thank you for the help and for taking the time to send your message @Jerzee55
:)