New Rider...how do you approach a red light

Chucker

+1. As I recall from my "learn to drive days", which are longer ago than I care to calculate, you should always have power to your wheels. Cars weren't designed to coast in neutral. Nor were bikes.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

killabee

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll practice downshifting and getting use to that.

jokerX

Most transmissions in cars are not setup to handle the stress in the reverse direction that engine breaking puts on it. I understand keeping it in gear for power, but It cab ruin the life of a good transmission

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Using this logic, you would also want to coast in neutral downhill, because that too would avoid all engine braking!

You won't ruin anything by downshifting sequentially at the proper time.

I was initially quite annoyed by your post, then I re read it. You are correct engine "breaking" does put alot of unnecessary stress on the transmission and drivetrain! :D

rjohnson5481

Using this logic, you would also want to coast in neutral downhill, because that too would avoid all engine braking!

You won't ruin anything by downshifting sequentially at the proper time.

I was initially quite annoyed by your post, then I re read it. You are correct engine "breaking" does put alot of unnecessary stress on the transmission and drivetrain! :D
I understand your thinking but my in regards to going down a hill... An auto tranny just engages the clutch when throttle is released and you would brake down a hill. I drove a standard truck for about 2 years and never downshifted. I'm new to riding so can't speak for that.

iSpoolin

I always downshift until I get into 2nd gear, then I just pull the clutch in shift to first and hold it while applying the front and rear brake coming to a gradual stop. Always stay in first at a light on a bike.

Parcho

I always just drive straight through. What is all this breaking I am hearing about? Am I doing something wrong?

On a more serious note: On a road, the N light stands for "not now". Stay in first gear when stopped always. And hope you don't stall out when that "oh crap" moment happens from releasing the clutch to fast. That happened to my neighbor when he first started riding.

Detrich

i'm surprised that u drive a stick and never learned how downshifting is very important to safely controlling the speed of the car. when u "coast," it's dangerous, because you have no way of re-engaging the engine at will. plus, if the rpm band isn't speed-matched, even if u are still in gear, the engine won't respond properly.

please, please, please do 2 things asap:

1. take your car to a low traffic area, and practice downshifting SMOOTHLY when coming to a stop. that means do it so that the car doesn't jolt or kick. if you're in 4th gear cruising, then brake gently and downshift into 3 at around 2500/3000 rpm, and then brake and downshift into 2, and then push down the clutch to stop as you apply your brakes simultaneously. (we usually we skip 1st gear cuz it's too jolty.) keep doing this until u get the hang of it, and until u feel how it works.

2. upon completion of the above, get on your bike and do the same thing- except BE CAREFUL... on a bike, u only have 2 wheels, so if u do not do it smoothly, u might get bucked right off the bike. so, take it easy, go slow. focus on keeping it smooth. keep doing this until u get the hang of it.

be safe! :)

rjohnson5481

i'm surprised that u drive a stick and never learned how downshifting is very important to safely controlling the speed of the car. when u "coast," it's dangerous, because you have no way of re-engaging the engine at will. plus, if the rpm band isn't speed-matched, even if u are still in gear, the engine won't respond properly.

please, please, please do 2 things asap:

1. take your car to a low traffic area, and practice downshifting SMOOTHLY when coming to a stop. that means do it so that the car doesn't jolt or kick. if you're in 4th gear cruising, then brake gently and downshift into 3 at around 2500/3000 rpm, and then brake and downshift into 2, and then push down the clutch to stop as you apply your brakes simultaneously. (we usually we skip 1st gear cuz it's too jolty.) keep doing this until u get the hang of it, and until u feel how it works.

2. upon completion of the above, get on your bike and do the same thing- except BE CAREFUL... on a bike, u only have 2 wheels, so if u do not do it smoothly, u might get bucked right off the bike. so, take it easy, go slow. focus on keeping it smooth. keep doing this until u get the hang of it.

be safe! :)
Thanks, I no longer had a standard car. But when it comes to the bike I'm taking the MSF course this weekend, hopefully they'll teach it.