new rider, 1st crash, couple of questions if u dont mind

fraydoe

hey guys so i was approaching a curve pretty fast, dark, middle of nowhere out here in the deserts of arizona, had the lean down good, and as i was leaning some dog or coyote darted across... at this instant my reaction was to stop leaning and pop back up, which sent me over the little edge into a dirt and rock ditch.

im okay, for the most part. i managed to ride the bike back to my cousins house. now i just have couple of questions about my bike as its pretty messed up. i will post some pictures of it early tomorrow but just to give you an idea, my whole left side is scratched up, gear shifter bent, fairings gone. i had to push back the front side with the headlights back straight so i could steer, and some pretty ugly dents on the gas tank. the right side of the bike is fine.

i am picking up the bike from my cousins house tomorrow and was going to give it a little test ride, i was wondering if i should be able to switch up to 6th gear just by holding down the clutch, or would i have to be riding to shift up that far? b/c i could only shift up to third.

and since i managed to ride it back to his house, (i dont remember what gear i was in but i managed to get up to i think about 55mph), should i even test ride it?

sorry for the questions but this bike is the only means of transportation for me

redwing-2001

Glad you are ok.
Sounds like your bike took a pretty good hit and you probably shouldn't ride it until it is thoroughly checked out by a shop that you trust. You also need to report the incident to your insurance company and they will send someone to look at it. Was there a police report? In my state, no bodily injury in a single vehicle crash, a police report is not necessarily required for insurance. Your state and/or insurance company may be different.

MikeN02

Glad you're here to tell your story. I got into an accident a couple months ago and rode it home. My 2 riding buddys said I was swerving a little.

First thing is to get yourself checked out. When I went down I didn't care I just wanted my bike. Rather use the money to fix up my bike then hospital, but I'm glad I did get checked out. Bikes can be replaced, you can't.

After that I wouldn't even test ride it. It's far too dangerous even IF you rode home.

Some things to check are the front and rear wheel to see if they're straight. If the forks are bent or straight. Tire pressure. Check your oil. I know for sure the coolant will be low. Another important thing is the frame to see if it's straight.

I don't think you can shift all the way up 6th, furthest I've gone is 3rd while the bike is at a stand still.

It's best to strip down everything and look at it, and to do it when your head is clear and the guilt is gone. I know I missed a lot of small marks when I just looked at it.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
im okay, for the most part. i managed to ride the bike back to my cousins house.
Happy to know your first lay-down had a positive outcome so to speak, and that your okay aswell as the bike, could have been worse. everybody has their first lay down, good job with not gettin scared and selling your keys like some people. :D