New Puig Touring Windshield! (with pics)

bobski

If you can find it listed for any other year (2009-12) you're good to go, they are all the same.

Roaddawg

I can't find the clear puig touring screen anywhere online for the 2012 model. I think I have to contact one of the distributors directly, does anyone know of a website that has it in stock?
You'll have to special order the touring one most likely. I just emailed kneedraggers and told them which model # I wanted, which you can get from Puig's website.

BKP

You'll have to special order the touring one most likely. I just emailed kneedraggers and told them which model # I wanted, which you can get from Puig's website.
Thanks... I just did the same... We should have gone for a group buy...

Don't know why they're so hard to find -- but, they'll make a great cold weather screen...

BKP

did you compare to other extended windscreens? What did you find?
I didn't make any comparisons... The Puig seemed to have a good name, and got stellar reviews, so I pulled the trigger...

rhnatyk

I bought mine (smoke) from PowerSportParts.net. They had it in stock and I got it in less than 1 week. Cost: $113.39 including shipping.

dmkun

I picked up the http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/7420/749/MRA VarioTouringScreen in smoke gray yesterday from Twisted Throttle. Significant difference in airflow from stock especially using the adjustable spoiler at the last two settings - and it looks great. I will post pictures later today.

Last edited:

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Roaddawg

great reviews all of you. does anyone have experience or heard anything about the Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen? It's got a different shape to it than the Puig one but it's about $30 cheaper. I'd rather get the Zero Gravity one and save myself some $$$ but if it's not as effective then I don't want to bother with it.
I don't think I've seen anyone on here with one. You could be the first. Start a new thread though, if you do buy it.

BKP

great reviews all of you. does anyone have experience or heard anything about the Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen? It's got a different shape to it than the Puig one but it's about $30 cheaper. I'd rather get the Zero Gravity one and save myself some $$$ but if it's not as effective then I don't want to bother with it.
This guy, from the VFR forum did a review on the MRA Vario Touring screen (and mentioned the Zero Gravity).
Keep in mind, that the VFR800 has a more extreme windscreen angle, so any windscreen would be more effective on the FZ6R, which is more upright.

I have the Puig Touring screen, and I'm very pleased with it, however, there still is quite a bit of bug splatter, and while it smooths out the airflow considerably, you're still taking it from the neck up (even if it *is* a huge improvement over stock).

Keep in mind, when trying to save money on lower cost mods, that if it doesn't do the job, it's money wasted... (which makes it *more* expensive).

TwistedThrottle.com : MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield for Honda VFR800 VTEC Interceptor, '02- - MRA.01.035.VT

I'm 5'9", and my motorcycle's handlebars are unmodified, without any bar risers, etc. Also, I wear either a Shoei TZR or RF1000 full-face helmets, along with earplugs.

Regarding windscreens, I've used the Zero Gravity's Double Bubble touring screen, as well as Givi's touring screen, but neither provided sufficient protection from wind buffeting and bug splatters even at moderate speeds, although I found the Givi to be the better of the two.

So, I recently purchased (from TwistedThrottle.com) an MRA Vario touring windscreen because it features a 7-position adjustable spoiler at the top of a touring-shaped windscreen. At any rate, yesterday I rode 225 miles with this MRA windscreen, and I offer the following thoughts and opinions...

1) Build quality & appearance: Made in Germany, the MRA Vario touring screen (dark smoke tint) exudes quality. It is finely crafted and manufactured, and not only does it look great on the VFR, I think that it enhances the bike's appearance and imparts a more 'sophisticated' look. In other words, it looks like it belongs on the bike rather than looking awkward and out of place.

2) Aerodynamics, airflow, bug protection, etc.: First of all, it's my opinion that any aftermarket windscreen for the VFR is rather hamstrung from the outset by the fact that regardless of how differently they are shaped at the top margins (where airflow can be better deflected above the rider's face), they must first fit into the preexisting drill-holes of the stock screen. In other words, the aerodynamic angle of stock screen on the VFR is too low to begin with, rather like that of a true sport-bike, in which a low windscreen is often just about as useless as no windscreen at all when street riding, yet the VFR is supposed to be a 'sport-touring' motorcycle. (This is precisely why, in another thread, I bitched that if the VFR were a real 'sport-touring' motorcycle, Honda should've offered at least the factory option of an electronically adjustable windscreen on the 6th gen. models. How much would this option cost? Well, at this point I've so far spent ~ $500.00+ trying to find an effective aftermarket windscreens for the VFR, and that's about what an optional electronic windscreen costs on a BMW, for example.)

OK, getting back to the MRA Vario touring windscreen, I've found that when its spoiler is set to the highest position, it is superior to the other windscreens I've so far tried and eventually rejected. For example, at speeds up to 40-45 mph, I can now keep my face shield flipped up while wearing prescription sunglasses, without constantly getting little gnats and other small particles flying into my eyes. This now happens much less often, and I'm liking it, especially now that hot weather is back again.

Secondly, while riding at higher speeds where I must lower my face shield, I'm noticing much fewer bug splatters and a longer period of time before I have to pull over and wipe down. In addition, my helmet is quieter, and long runs on highways at high speeds are definitely more tolerable.

With the MRA Vario's spoiler set to its highest position, wind blast is now mostly hitting my upper face and forehead rather than right smack in the middle of my face, but the differences here are marginal rather than huge. I've experimented with setting the spoiler to lower position/angles, since this could possibly lead to better airflow overall, but at higher speeds I've found that the spoiler is best kept fully raised. Overall, this is the best performance I've found so far among these various aftermarket screens for the VFR, but YMMV.

3) Visual 'clutter' or obstruction factors: When you look at photos of the MRA Vario touring windscreen, you might well wonder if the spoiler, when raised to its highest position, might annoyingly interfere with your forward gaze. I've found that the answer is quite decidely 'No.'

4) Which version of the MRA Vario is best? In my opinion, be sure to order the 'touring' version for the best possible wind and bug protection. (See the above web link.) For those riders who are tall, the MRA Vario touring screen will surely be better than a lot of other options, but even if you're not using bar risers, etc., don't expect too much, and don't forget to wear earplugs.

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member