New member welcome thread

jjmaine

I’m Justin from Maine! Just picked up a 2013 Fz6r for a good deal. I also have a Ninja 300 but have been riding for years. Always had a thing for the smaller displacement bikes but wanted something a bit more comfortable and with a bit more power for longer road trips.

IMG_1807.jpegIMG_1751.jpeg

WendyC

Hello to all. I was ever so glad to find this forum. I am buying a 2012 FZ6R with about 9000 miles on it this coming Tuesday. I'm soo nervous but excited at the same time. Did the insurance stuff today which I'm pretty sure I'm switching after a few months after ownership , thinking there's better deals on that . I got mixed messages about buying vs financing so I did both - putting most of amount in cash and financing a small amount to raise my low credit score. I live in New York which means I wont have it running for long before winter comes but it seems the best prices are happening now so I grabbed one. Its been at least been 20 years since I've ridden a bike but the urge struck me. Being in my 50's I wanted something with reasonable comfort but also sporty. At 6ft tall the higher seat position allowed me to take advantage of a good seat height. Its all white with typical graphics plus a movan uabe skull fixture on one side and a two brothers exhaust . I was worried about the fixture but after research it means come and take it so I guess maybe others will think I'm a toughie or something. I called the local and state constables to ask about the noise level of the two brothers pipe and they both said they have other problems to deal with and not to concern my self too much- just be sensible they said - like not revving at 4am. LOL. I finally have a job that can support this novelty again so I plan to enjoy at least seven months of the year .

Jerzee55

Hello to all. I was ever so glad to find this forum. I am buying a 2012 FZ6R with about 9000 miles on it this coming Tuesday. I'm soo nervous but excited at the same time. Did the insurance stuff today which I'm pretty sure I'm switching after a few months after ownership , thinking there's better deals on that . I got mixed messages about buying vs financing so I did both - putting most of amount in cash and financing a small amount to raise my low credit score. I live in New York which means I wont have it running for long before winter comes but it seems the best prices are happening now so I grabbed one. Its been at least been 20 years since I've ridden a bike but the urge struck me. Being in my 50's I wanted something with reasonable comfort but also sporty. At 6ft tall the higher seat position allowed me to take advantage of a good seat height. Its all white with typical graphics plus a movan uabe skull fixture on one side and a two brothers exhaust . I was worried about the fixture but after research it means come and take it so I guess maybe others will think I'm a toughie or something. I called the local and state constables to ask about the noise level of the two brothers pipe and they both said they have other problems to deal with and not to concern my self too much- just be sensible they said - like not revving at 4am. LOL. I finally have a job that can support this novelty again so I plan to enjoy at least seven months of the year .
Welcome and enjoy your new ride. :) My son is 6'4" and is comfortable riding the bike, you should be okay for 'fit'. Consider taking a rider safety course, if it has been 20 years, I know it helped me, and it's always good to refresh your skills. If the noise of the bike is too much for YOU (don't worry about the local law enforcement), there are many 'stock' exhausts around from people who switched. :) Make sure your gear is up to snuff, and wear it.. seriously. ;) Stay safe, and have fun! ;))

WendyC

Welcome and enjoy your new ride. :) My son is 6'4" and is comfortable riding the bike, you should be okay for 'fit'. Consider taking a rider safety course, if it has been 20 years, I know it helped me, and it's always good to refresh your skills. If the noise of the bike is too much for YOU (don't worry about the local law enforcement), there are many 'stock' exhausts around from people who switched. :) Make sure your gear is up to snuff, and wear it.. seriously. ;) Stay safe, and have fun! ;))
Thanks Jerzee ! . Being that its almost November and I'm in NY , i will be storing it very soon for winter. I will look into a refresh bike course though. NY signed a noise law a year ago so that was the only thing I was worried in the purchase . I'm planning on getting gear this winter a little at a time and a a stand other than the kick stand it already has. I'm a little nervous about all this this but a good kind of nervous. Thanks for the message :)

Jerzee55

Thanks Jerzee ! . Being that its almost November and I'm in NY , i will be storing it very soon for winter. I will look into a refresh bike course though. NY signed a noise law a year ago so that was the only thing I was worried in the purchase . I'm planning on getting gear this winter a little at a time and a a stand other than the kick stand it already has. I'm a little nervous about all this this but a good kind of nervous. Thanks for the message :)
Try to change nervous to cautious. Do your homework on gear, and make sure you get a good helmet that fits (right). The Paddock stands work out well to do maintenance and to get your tires off the ground for winter too. Best of luck with your bike, and stay warm! :) Lots of good information on the site on stands, mods, etc., so peruse over the winter. :)

WendyC

Your right of course bout the cautions part . I have a good helmet - a full face HJC and I like the features. Looking into getting a combo deal for stands so Id get a front and rear. Paddock looks good - its been tough with all the choices available - except I know I will have to get the regular rear one and not the spool kind. I've been reading stuff online to keep tank fairly full with gas treatment added when I store it. I have a motorcycle cover I got a year ago. I also looking into changing the oil before storage. The bike is being delivered Wednesday but no one has been able to tell me when the oil was changed last and I don't want to assume anything. I see some people use the yamalube with the KLN filter and others use the amsoil with amsoil filter. I'm not sure whos presumably right and whos righter. A good pair of gloves wont be a problem but finding a jacket will be a bit trickerer since I'm fat and need a the big a tall stuff. I figure I can find a decent boot at the local shoe shops. Thanks again for messaging me ! :)

Jerzee55

Your right of course bout the cautions part . I have a good helmet - a full face HJC and I like the features. Looking into getting a combo deal for stands so Id get a front and rear. Paddock looks good - its been tough with all the choices available - except I know I will have to get the regular rear one and not the spool kind. I've been reading stuff online to keep tank fairly full with gas treatment added when I store it. I have a motorcycle cover I got a year ago. I also looking into changing the oil before storage. The bike is being delivered Wednesday but no one has been able to tell me when the oil was changed last and I don't want to assume anything. I see some people use the yamalube with the KLN filter and others use the amsoil with amsoil filter. I'm not sure whos presumably right and whos righter. A good pair of gloves wont be a problem but finding a jacket will be a bit trickerer since I'm fat and need a the big a tall stuff. I figure I can find a decent boot at the local shoe shops. Thanks again for messaging me ! :)
Yamalube or any oil that meets the spec in the manual will work, with a good filter. :) People get into 'religious wars' over 'the best oil / filter', so use what is available that meets your spec. Some only use OEM oil and filters, others have their own favorites. It is a good assumption to take the winter to change fluids. Oil, coolant and brake fluids, since your bike is a 2012, and you have no clue about maintenance. Inspect your brake calibers for hydraulic leaks, and if you have the original rubber brake lines, consider the Galfer or similar steel break lines, if you don't already have them on the bike. Check the wear on the pads and disks. Lots of information on this forum on all of this stuff, along with frame sliders, radiator guards, basic useful farkle for your bike, that actually serves a purpose. :) You might check Craig's List for used jackets, as many people sell great gear, lightly used, when they bail out of riding. Just replace the slide in 'protectors', and you are good to go! ;)

WendyC

Wow your right about the religious wars , I've read soo many people say all kinds of things. In my town I can get the KLN 204 filter and either mobil one 4t or valivone . I guess those will work since they are both 10w 40 and say motorbikes on the quart bottles. I will look into what coolant and brake fluid it likes. I ordered a manual for it on amazon last week (Haynes)to explain all the procedures. Thanks for the extra information - I guess I will need to read up since many of the items you listed I'm familiar with but I didn't really get into earlier in life. I'm hoping that since its being inspected before its delivered to me that immediate concerns are ok. I certainly would like frame sliders installed at some point . The purchase of the bike has left me not broke but not in a position to be putting a lot of money out right now. Im looking around for a good jacket. I admit with it coming tomorrow and me being off all week from work - i want to take it for a spin a few times around town to get the feel back for riding before the real cold hits. I know it will be awhile before I'm back to full ability after 20 plus years. A honda shop a hour from me did the inspection but I probably will have a mechanic from a local shop check the bike over good. Later today I ended up getting some stuff like the mobil one r4 oil and a fram filter with wrench adapter and engine ice to flush radiator. I still am looking for a rear stand WOW lots of choices. Bike coming in the morning - Phew well I got some things

Last edited:

WendyC

Such a lovely day - first ride in over 25 years . I wasn't on my game like I remember but I got things together. I will get used to the absence of a gear indicator and the sequence. I stalled once at stop sign but I knew why quickly and got rolling again. Winter close but going to try to get as many rides as mother nature allows

Jerzee55

Such a lovely day - first ride in over 25 years . I wasn't on my game like I remember but I got things together. I will get used to the absence of a gear indicator and the sequence. I stalled once at stop sign but I knew why quickly and got rolling again. Winter close but going to try to get as many rides as mother nature allows
There are gear indicators available, if you want to go that route. Mostly plug and play, but a splice to power, ground and one of the sensor wires is required for some, trivial, if you have the manual, and locate the 'right wires'. I added one without too much stress. :) Check Ebay or your favorite accessory site for them. As a FYI, they can be difficult to read in direct sunlight, depending on where you mount them *using the supplied double sided sticky tape. Glad you enjoyed the ride!