New member, new to me FZ6R... Texas

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Ripley

Riding on the track is the best thing you probably could do as a new rider. Not just riding, but taking the motorcycle training on the tracks, they will hone you're skills but really the best thing about them is they will prepare you for situations which you would potentially panic on the street. The track isn't about being good, especially when you start, it's about learning. :)

I think, for your needs the Michelins are the best way to go.

BTW, did you mention the problems you found on the bike that the dealer didn't disclose?
No I haven't been able to get a hold of the salesman yet. I left a message at the dealership but I haven't received a call back. I'm not counting them out yet since we are still close to the holidays and the salesman may not be back from vacation yet. He did inform me that the previous owner dropped the bike and did not ride it again afterwards. He pointed out the tiny scratches on the right side fairing and said the plastic rivet would need to be replaced. The rivet is fine but the metal bracket that holds the instrument cluster is bent 45 degrees on the left side.

At first sight I wanted the bike. If I was able to look at it objectively at the time I would have realized that a 30 cent plastic rivet would probably have been replaced by the dealer. Oversight?.... maybe. His job is to sell the bike. I don't think the bent bracket would have changed my mind at all. The fork seal leak, nah still would have bought it. It appears I was able to fix the fork seal leak with a $5 plastic tool. The replacement bracket is in shipping and should be here next weekish. Not expensive fixes just a hassle. Everything else looks great and seems to function fine.

My current challenge is figuring out how to get the 4 bolts off the stock rear fender so I can put on the fender eliminator and turn signals. I swear Yamaha welded those bolts on at the factory. I'm afraid we're going to pull her right off the stands reaming on them as much as we have. We lack a compressor or impact tools so brute strength is all we have and apparently we don't have enough of it. Maybe with all the swearing going on as we try to get them to budge will finally tip that scale in our favor. :eek:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Ripley

Good luck! Those bolts can be a pain, try to use a breaker bar.
Breaker bar did the trick. It was amazing how easy it was when we were giving it all we could give with a ratchet. My rear led turn signals don't work so now I've gotta wait for the new ones to come in. Changed out the front instrument bracket so getting there little by little.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Ripley

I use the long part of my jack as a breaker on my ratchet to get more leverage, 99% of the time works wonders.
I didn't even think of that but since I got the breaker bar I've used that thing several times. I don't know how I got on without one for so many years. :facepalm: