New Member and SV650 Convert!

Superuser

Hello everyone,

I joined the forum months back as I was choosing between an SV650 and the FZ6R. I ended up buying the SV which I think is an awesome bike. But now I'm looking to trade and pick up an FZ6R (I posted in the trade section if anyone is interested in a trade). Long story short, the riding position has become too much for my old man back. So now I'm back in the market hoping to join the legion of 6R owners soon. If anyone is interested in info or an opinion on the SV I'm happy to share. Great site, I enjoy reading all of your comments.

P.S. - Can someone tell me what the best tires are for the 6R, and where I can get a slip on exhaust? (Kidding...noob humor)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Superuser

Did I heard slip on? There's no slip on for the 6R. You need to change the whole exhaust since it's a one piece part. Or... you can ship me your stock exhaust and I will work my magic. Look at the website link bellow and be part of the Marthy Exhaust Group! As far as tire... I'm a big fan on the Conti Motion. Way good enough for what I do. Michelin PR2-3 are popular also.

Cheers Mate!
I have actually been following this site for a few months and noticed how annoyed people get when noobs join and immediately ask those questions. That was my sad attempt at humor...

...I have actually been to your site before, great ideas.

JSP

Super Moderator
Welcome! You will love the FZ. It is a great bike and damn near bulletproof reliable as well. SV is an outstanding bike as well.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Superuser

Welcome! You will love the FZ. It is a great bike and damn near bulletproof reliable as well. SV is an outstanding bike as well.
Thanks! I see you got the 8, I love that bike. Sat on one at the NYC motorcycle show and that was the moment I decided to get my first bike...They are still a little out of my price range, but I woudn't mind scooping up a used '11. Did you have a 6R before getting the 8? I'm looking for comparison. If you have already posted could you direct me to the thread?

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks! I see you got the 8, I love that bike. Sat on one at the NYC motorcycle show and that was the moment I decided to get my first bike...They are still a little out of my price range, but I woudn't mind scooping up a used '11. Did you have a 6R before getting the 8? I'm looking for comparison. If you have already posted could you direct me to the thread?
I had the 6R then went to a 09 R6 and now have the 8.

Some of comparisons:

Really really love it. When you get on it, it goes... I was afraid coming from the R6 power that the FZ8 would just not cut it. Well I am very pleased with it and it puts a smile on my face. I find the suspension just fine. I just took my wife around town and on some small twisties and it did wonderful! If you are trying to drag knee, yes you may find it not very good. For me it is perfect, nice and plush. Very comfy ride.

Wife does not like how quiet the bike is haha. Told her I would gladly put an exhaust on it! :cool: That will be a while though. She does not like the big rear fender or the mirrors :D. So bar ends will be soon in the future as well as a FE kit. This is too easy.

Much more comfy on this bike when the wife rides with me. Very nice. The bike looks amazing as well.

Came with some Puig Pro frame sliders. $175!
Puig PRO Frame Sliders Yamaha FZ8 10-11 from SportbikeTrackGear.com

These are awesome! I can stretch my legs out across them so when I need to stretch I can recline right back. ;)

You really feel the wind over 80+mph. Its not bad though. Just a lot of fresh air.

This bike is loads of fun. Its a different ride than the R6 (obviously). The R6 I had limited field of vision since I am so leaned over. This one I am sitting upright and I can just see everything so much better and clear. Much more enjoyable. The R6 I had to really really focus on what I was doing. It was like a job haha. The FZ is just all around more pleasurable.

Parking lots are so much nicer to navigate in now! The R6 had crap for turning radius. This bike is like a bicycle :D

All in all I am extremely pleased with this bike. Very happy with the price as well. I think this one will stay with me for a while.

I LOVED the FZ6R as well. Definitely way up on power for the 8. The body positioning and bars seem a little nicer. The 8 is way wider if I remember the 6 correctly. Radiator is huge and tank is really wide. But feels great with the leg positioning. The seat on the 8 does not feel like there is much room for me to scoot forward or backward. That or my ass just got much bigger haha. But where I do sit, it feels perfect.

The engine seems much more refined and smoother. It is very quiet. I do not have all the chain noise the 6R did. NO fairings of course so extremely easy come oil change time. It has the FZ1 frame I believe and tail light. (look the same). It handles great. The whole bike just feels like you are getting much more than you pay for. I'm not saying the 6R is cheaper feeling, but all the plastic panels just never did it for me on the 6R.

The 6R was more of a tamed down FZ6 and the FZ8 is a tamed down FZ1. So there is a fairly large gap between them.

There are no passenger grab rails on the FZ8 which suck. You can buy them for around $100 which is not that big of a deal. After this first ride with the wife and the position she is in, she does not necessarily feel she even needs them though.

But all of those things are fairly minute differences. The biggest thing IS the power and some refinement. Both bikes are wonderful.

OH! and the FZ8 has an oil sight glass which is nice to have. You can see the oil level and how dark it is just by looking at it.
Loved all three of the bikes in their own ways. I would have no issues and would be a very happy person to own a FZ6R again.

bleedinblue

Elite Member
Last edited:

gusi09

Hello, I am new to this forum as well. I decided to sell my beautiful SV650r :( in order to buy my FZ6R :sinister: I'm happy to read your want to do the same, thumbs up for the FZ6r, a lot more comfortable ride, better response at mid-high range, more aggressive, even do the SV is great for stunning, great power at low revs, both of them babies share my heart. :Sport: ... :backtotopic: you wont regret making the transition.