New helmet shape question

DanielW0830

I got a new helmet. Scorpion EXO-500 Medium
(Neon Yellow Oil)

Got it on Wednesday and Thurday did a long ride with it.
It's very snug.

After 10hrs of riding, my forehead had an indent from the top front seam.
I was starting to get a headache. :(

Has anyone ever sanded the inside of a helmet to better shape it to your head?
The forehead is the snug area. Revzilla wont take it back for an exchange because I wore it once.

Dan.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
Last edited:

tatty2012

I have never sanded to shape my helmets. They should make different padding inserts. My helmet for example is a small. If I needed it to fit tighter, I could get the padding from an XS. The shell is the same size, but the padding is what makes the actual fitting size different.

My helmet is a GMAX GM54S.

Hope this helps a little.

JSP

Super Moderator
Different helmet manufacturers make their helmets for different shape heads. Thats why I will not buy a helmet unless I can try it on first to be sure it will fit right.

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

raven6

Revzilla wont take it back for an exchange because I wore it FOR A 10 HOUR RIDE.

Dan.
fixed that part for you... :D

about your fit issues, you can "re-shape" the ESP a little with a hot spoon.. heat the spoon and rub/press it against the ESP to re-shape it to fit or get rid of the hot spot..

Detrich

it's important to learn the shape of your head before buying a helmet and test fitting it, if possible. Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

scorpion helmets are classified as "sightly narrow" shape. so, if your head is slightly oval or slightly round, they will not fit u very well- in which case it's easiest to try a different brand.

that said, you can look into seeing if swapping out the inner cheek pads to a thinner version will help make it fit better. each manufacturer usually sells their own cheek pads according to thickness.

DanielW0830

Thanks All

Good idea with the spoon.

The helmet is tight getting on, but once on it is snug and besides the front of my head near my hairline getting pressed, the rest fits.

Maybe a thinner padding will help. I'll check out their web site.

Dan.

Detrich

i had similar fitment issues with Scorpion and Bell helmets. and, i gave up on those brands. they just didn't give me the snug tight fit the way i need for the shape of my noggin, which I've learned is round. for this reason, HJC fits me the best- as do AGV and Arai. :)

Personally, I would NOT alter the shape of it with either a spoon or sanding. It is said to replace the helmet if it is dropped because it compresses the eps. The fact that esp compresses is what absorbs the impact. If you compress it yourself, it is lessening its protection. Now in reality im not sure how much it would effect it but thats my 2cents.

I would try to sell it to someone you know, then buy a properly fitting helmet. Like others have said, it is important to know the shape of your head. +1 on checking different head liners like others have said. In all honestly, any helmet after 10 hrs is gunna be somewhat less that pleasurable.

I have a pretty narrow long head. pretty much my only choice was a $600 arai signet-q. Defiantly worth the investment to have a properly fitting helmet. I don't think I will ever own another brand, even if others make my head shape.

I'm not sure how much you researched it, but look at the revzilla.com and sportbiketrackgear.com gear review videos. They will usually talk about the shape. Youtube how to properly fit a motorcycle helmet. They have some good vids. Good luck.

ajskillz13

My wife had this problem with her Scorpion. I made the decision to shave the front down because she didn't seem to like any other helmet designs but that one and I had heard racing helmets are shaved for custom fit and a little modification shouldn't make the helmet unsafe.

Well... I'll tell you that it takes quite a bit to get rid of that hotspot. Never got it right for her.

$600 later... she has a new Arai and I have an unsellable helmet sitting in my house. Looking back I would've taken my losses and recooped what I could get. Find one that fits!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

buzzbomb

Elite Member

DaIrishman

Helmet shape and size

We went to the International Motorcycle show in NY and wanted to hit up the helmet manufacturers for some info.

We stopped by the Arai booth and the gentlemen there measured us up and then told my friend that he was waaaaay off, he went from a Large HJC to a small Signet Q. I dropped a size and had to change over to the Signet Q also.

My other friend and his gf also dropped a size when they got measured up and properly shape fitted. The guys at Arai said that most people do NOT get properly fitted, or try and fit the face and not the head.

I now have the Signet Q and its a hell of an investment but no more long ride hot spots and its very comfortable and snug. On another note its my head and even though my wife says its mostly someplace else:), its worth it me to have the best protection.

Cerebus

I am VERY happy I took a friend's advice and went to get fitted for a helmet. I would have been clueless and ended up with something that wouldn't have fit my head. Ended up with a Signet Q as well. There was a much cheaper Scorpion that fit just as well, but the inside of the Arai was way more comfy. Having a shaved head, it was worth the extra.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

tobymax

I have a buddy with a Scorpion helmet, same complaint. They must fit weird.
I have the scorpion EXO 1000 and love it. At first, after an hour or two of riding, my ears would hurt from being pressed by the liner. That subsided after a couple of rides and now i even have helmet speakers. Either my ears got used to the helmet, or the helmet got used to me. :D

BKP

I have the Signet-q as well... (I'm a narrow-noggin)... also a Bell RS1... Shoei Neotec... and a Scorpion 1100...

They all fit similarly in terms of head shape. The Arai and Bell are the most comfortable. I would like the Scorpion the best if it the "channels" in the crown of the EPS (and comfort liner) didn't leave ridges in my scalp after a long ride.

The Shoei is very comfortable as well (only wore it a couple of times, so if you want it, let me know -- it's a large, and you can try it on at Cyclegear).

I agree with the above, that pressing the hotspot out with a spoon makes the helmet un-sellable, if it doesn't pan out. I haven't tried the 500, but lids *do* vary within a brand (i.e. the Signet-q is one of Arai's narrowest shapes). Bite the bullet, sell it, and get a good fitting for the next. Live and learn...

Grumpy

Arai Vector-2 and Shoei 1100 are really the only lids that fit me. :(

abyss1406

i have an Speed and Strenght TDC ss700 and a sevenzeroseven vendetta 2 both fit well, i did purchace a scorpion exo 700 but it was too tight in the forehead area so i took it back.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member