New Guy, New Fz6r, first impressions!

rtfisher1

Hello all!

I just purchased a 2013 Blue Fz6r after 25 years of riding nothing but cruisers. I just traded my '12 Vstar 950LT for a 13' Fz6r. I've been reading ADVRider and Sport touring.net for awhile, and have a cousin whose 55 and riding a ST2 Ducati and loves it. I finally wanted to see if it is actually as fun as all the guys my age (45) and older who still ride semi sport type bikes say it is. I have no interest in ultra high speeds, as the 125-130 is fast enough. I can't afford to lose my license with a 100 mile commute everyday, let alone 4 kids who need driven everywhere! After only a week of ownership and 200 miles, I have discovered the following:

1. The bike IS fast and has plenty of power for real world fun. I actually test drove the FZ-09 and like the power delivery on the Fz6r better (seriously, I do). It still pulled hard and is predictable. The Fz-09 was jumpy. Yes it was faster, but overall I wasn't impressed. I also felt like my body was a sail catching the wind on the fz-09. From my fun range of 15-90mph, this fz6r will pull pretty hard. Way faster than any of the cruiser's I've had.

2. I think the fit and quality of the FZ6r is excellent.

3. I see where people talk about it being heavy, but it feels like a dirtbike to me. After riding 650-725 lb cruisers, this thing is LIGHT and flickable!

4. It doesn't hurt my spine when I go over a bump

5. The ride is more comfortable than I thought it would be

6. I hate not having any storage, got to remedy that soon. Saddlebags spoiled me.

7. I probably need a touring windscreen. Don't like my head bobbling around at 65 and above.

8. I love going around corners. Its so easy to drive.

9. I wear my helmet more faithfully! In Indiana where I live, I see about 1 out of 10 guys wearing a helmet. Of course 9 out of 10 bikes I pass on the road are Harley's.

10. Cruiser guys wave to me a lot LESS now that I am on a "sport"bike. Interesting. Seems I'm out of the club??? I hardly see sport type bikes around central Indiana. This IS Harley country and everybody wants in the club.

11. When downshifting it seems the shifter doesn't always pop back up for the next downshift.. not sure here if its me or the linkage needs adjusted. Also getting use to not hearing the loud click when upshifting or always feeling the click even though it did shift.

12. Is there a helmet lock? Thought I read about a strap under the seat but I'm not seeing it.

13. Much easier to lockup the rear wheel than on my cruiser, gotta be more faithful about using both brakes in combo.

And lastly, It is just plain a hoot to ride. I am having a blast on it. It feels like I am actually riding instead of being driven around as I am on a cruiser. This bike really does do it all. Commute, Sport Touring, cruising around, hitting the twisties. I have no desire for anything bigger or faster at this point. I think people are surprised around here to see my riding it as they expect a young hooligan to be riding that "crotch rocket". Not expecting the graying beard when I pull my helmet off! By the way, when I was at the dealership buying, there was 70 year old man buying a Ninja 250 to tool around on. Good for him!

That's some of my random thoughts. Enjoyed perusing this forum before making the purchase last week. Will be seeing everyone around!

Todd

Fizzer6R

welcome and congrats!

Sport Bike Girl

You pretty much summed up why I love the FZ6R
I'll be getting my second one soon as the dealer gets it in On the use of helmets I hope you choose to have a full face one
When I crashed my other one I was wearing a Scorpion EXO 500
I had a small bleed on my brain and I smacked the asphalt at a high speed The Helmet saved my life and I'm replacing it with the same model
Be safe and welcome!!

Kat "Tails" Arnold

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Maadi

You pretty much summed up my thoughts on switching from cruiser to the fz6r. I had a Vstar 650 and was looking at a 950, but it was SO heavy... my husband suggested I try this bike and I immediately fell in love with it. I totally agree about the riding, I THOUGHT I was riding before, but it was really just traveling on a two-wheeled vehicle. Now I'm actually doing something! I have learned so much more after buying this bike. I agree about the cruisers feeling heavier, but as experience has taught me, this bike gets really, really heavy if you forget to put the kick stand down and step off the bike.... :rolleyes:

rtfisher1

thanks!

thanks for the replies....

Marthy- Yeah I know, I figured I'd have to take a little heat for saying the Fz-09 didn't do it for me. I see people loving those bikes, the speed rush just didn't overcome the riding position, no fairing, twitchiness etc... for me. I thought real long and hard and had the blue fz6r and red fz-09 sitting side by side and finally chose the fz6r. Price was only like $1000 difference and wasn't a factor in my decision. I think I just kept thinking the fz6r would still make a better mid size sport tourer.

I like the windshield on your bike... I think I'm going with the Puig Touring or one of the other touring screens. Can't remember the manufacturer at the moment. This will be my first upgrade, then a rear seat bag.

By the way all, I had previously had Progressive on my Vstar 950 at $149 per year. Switching to the FZ6R raised it to $450 per year. I checked with RIDERS INSURANCE and was quoted $230 per year, which I immediately purchased. Awesome!

travisH3

I also notice the cruisers/and harley like to ignore my friendly hand gesture but it is what it is.

glad you like the FZ6R. love mine as well although i dont get to ride it as much as id like

scott5626

I also just got my 2013 Blue FZ6R. I'm from northern Indiana. I have a lot in common with what you said. I needed storage too so I just put this on my bike a few days ago. If you decide on this bag and want some pics on how I secured it I'll be happy to post them.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/BAGS-SUPER-TAILBAG-BLACK-8230-0405-24/dp/B008NAZFXG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395615057&sr=8-2&keywords=cortech+2.0]Amazon.com: BAGS SUPER 2.0 24L TAILBAG BLACK 8230-0405-24: Automotive[/ame]

Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

Chuck12

Just bought my bike 2 weeks ago. I am 57

After dreaming of owning a bike for eight years and doing a lot of research I purchased a new 2012 FZ6R for $4,999.00 from a dealer in Sublimity, Or. In the past I found used 2009 with 2000 to 8000 miles on them for sale by owner, for $4,500 to $5,600.00. The stars came together and I thought I better buy it now or never. I think I got a great deal on a new bike.

:confused: Been having a hard deciding on a helmet.

BiLt helmets have a sun visor flip down I like. But there is a really good sale on a Bell Powersport RS-1 Emblem full face helmet for $179.95 from Riders Discount. People been telling me Shoei is the way to go but, they start around $350.00 to $700.00. Just don't want to be cheep and sorry!

rtfisher1

Update!

Well, thought I'd check back in after about 7-8 weeks of ownership and about 800 miles. I'd have more but still cold in Indiana at times.

I love this bike. I have all my fun between 0 to 100 mph and this bike has plenty of oomph especially if you play the gears right. I actually saw that this bike has quicker roll-on between 60-80 than the standard fz6 by about 2 seconds! This thing is just geared perfectly for my riding. I have a Zero Gravity Sport touring screen on backorder from Indy superbikes that should be here in a few weeks. Can't wait. Next up frame sliders, grip puppies and a nice decent sized tailbag.

Did my first oil change with no problem, used Lucas semi-synthetic 10-40 motorcycle oil and do notice a little smoother shifting. There is a little trim/upholstery shop in Anderson that is known for fixing up seats by inserting gel packs into your existing seat. Going to head that way in a week or two and see what they can do.

Anybody know where you can get those grip puppies in the states? I think those would be ideal for a little extra grip comfort.

Also, does anybody have the Zero gravity touring and if so, how are you liking it? I chose it over the PUIG because it was $50 cheaper....I've seen lots of threads about the PUIG but not much about the Zero Gravity.

I have to admit I'm having a hard time keeping my hand out of the throttle so my mpg's haven't been that great. Probably around 40mpg. I could see I could probably easily get 50 by being a more kinder, gentler rider. Nah...

Carry on. Oh, and please stop temping me to replace the exhaust and get a juicebox. I actually like the quietness of the bike... but a few more horsepower......hmmmm......

Todd

voodoomaster

abyss1406

Hello all!

I just purchased a 2013 Blue Fz6r after 25 years of riding nothing but cruisers. I just traded my '12 Vstar 950LT for a 13' Fz6r. I've been reading ADVRider and Sport touring.net for awhile, and have a cousin whose 55 and riding a ST2 Ducati and loves it. I finally wanted to see if it is actually as fun as all the guys my age (45) and older who still ride semi sport type bikes say it is. I have no interest in ultra high speeds, as the 125-130 is fast enough. I can't afford to lose my license with a 100 mile commute everyday, let alone 4 kids who need driven everywhere! After only a week of ownership and 200 miles, I have discovered the following:

1. The bike IS fast and has plenty of power for real world fun. I actually test drove the FZ-09 and like the power delivery on the Fz6r better (seriously, I do). It still pulled hard and is predictable. The Fz-09 was jumpy. Yes it was faster, but overall I wasn't impressed. I also felt like my body was a sail catching the wind on the fz-09. From my fun range of 15-90mph, this fz6r will pull pretty hard. Way faster than any of the cruiser's I've had.

2. I think the fit and quality of the FZ6r is excellent.

3. I see where people talk about it being heavy, but it feels like a dirtbike to me. After riding 650-725 lb cruisers, this thing is LIGHT and flickable!

4. It doesn't hurt my spine when I go over a bump

5. The ride is more comfortable than I thought it would be

6. I hate not having any storage, got to remedy that soon. Saddlebags spoiled me.

7. I probably need a touring windscreen. Don't like my head bobbling around at 65 and above.

8. I love going around corners. Its so easy to drive.

9. I wear my helmet more faithfully! In Indiana where I live, I see about 1 out of 10 guys wearing a helmet. Of course 9 out of 10 bikes I pass on the road are Harley's.

10. Cruiser guys wave to me a lot LESS now that I am on a "sport"bike. Interesting. Seems I'm out of the club??? I hardly see sport type bikes around central Indiana. This IS Harley country and everybody wants in the club.

11. When downshifting it seems the shifter doesn't always pop back up for the next downshift.. not sure here if its me or the linkage needs adjusted. Also getting use to not hearing the loud click when upshifting or always feeling the click even though it did shift.

12. Is there a helmet lock? Thought I read about a strap under the seat but I'm not seeing it.

13. Much easier to lockup the rear wheel than on my cruiser, gotta be more faithful about using both brakes in combo.

And lastly, It is just plain a hoot to ride. I am having a blast on it. It feels like I am actually riding instead of being driven around as I am on a cruiser. This bike really does do it all. Commute, Sport Touring, cruising around, hitting the twisties. I have no desire for anything bigger or faster at this point. I think people are surprised around here to see my riding it as they expect a young hooligan to be riding that "crotch rocket". Not expecting the graying beard when I pull my helmet off! By the way, when I was at the dealership buying, there was 70 year old man buying a Ninja 250 to tool around on. Good for him!

That's some of my random thoughts. Enjoyed perusing this forum before making the purchase last week. Will be seeing everyone around!

Todd
Welcome, and just remember, its not a cruiser, so the levers, brake and clutch dont require a heavier pull or Kick.

latony007

After dreaming of owning a bike for eight years and doing a lot of research I purchased a new 2012 FZ6R for $4,999.00 from a dealer in Sublimity, Or. In the past I found used 2009 with 2000 to 8000 miles on them for sale by owner, for $4,500 to $5,600.00. The stars came together and I thought I better buy it now or never. I think I got a great deal on a new bike.

:confused: Been having a hard deciding on a helmet.

BiLt helmets have a sun visor flip down I like. But there is a really good sale on a Bell Powersport RS-1 Emblem full face helmet for $179.95 from Riders Discount. People been telling me Shoei is the way to go but, they start around $350.00 to $700.00. Just don't want to be cheep and sorry!
i always recomend a blue tooth helmet, US and EU approved is what matters to me. Vcan 136 is probably my lightest comfortable helmet, has built in BT no adding big units on this side and has helmet to helmet coms as well. for $150 you can't beat it period. I also have a Torc T12 that has the built in sun visor and the BT and that was around $225.

welcome to you all, i too went from cruiser to sport bike and agree, cruiser is just that, sit back and cruise, where as sport bike i feel in complete control at all times. i did however wind up keeping and even upgrading my cruiser because its great for two up and sometimes i do just want to...cruise :)

Last edited: