New Bike Transmission

I was wondering if the transmission and clutch need to break in on a new bike. I have a bit of trouble shifting into 6th gear. It isn't smooth like 1-5, and 5 is a bit rough also. I am holding the clutch level all the way in and it seems like it takes a lot of force to pull up into 6th. I currently have 89 miles on the bike. Is something out of adjustment or do the parts just need some time to break in?

CDN6R

Is your clutch working properly? Is the bike new? If it is new I would suggest that you take it to your dealer to have it checked out.

JSP

Super Moderator
Normally it is 1st to 2nd that is a bit clunky... Make sure you have the correct free play in your clutch lever. If it is too tight then the clutch will constantly be slipping a little and if it is too loose, then you are not fully engaging the clutch when you pull the lever in and that will make it hard to shift.

Deanohh

If it is still doing it after about 200 miles, or even right away, I'd take it back to the dealer to be fixed. They are not supposed to be hard to shift and you shouldn't have to put up with it.

WhiteFZ

The bike definetly loosens up after a couple hundred miles. My bike was clunky and snatchy the first hundred miles, after that it got considerably smoother. Should be even better after the 600 mile service.

Harda toenail

If you can, change the oil yourself at 200 miles. You'd be amazed at how much flake is in the oil. (its normal though). The fresh oil will probably help with hard shifts. If it's still bad, get it to the dealer. Then do the 600 and continue to yammi specs. oil changes are super easy if you do them yourself. If not, when you go to take off the oil filter, you'll find that the shop has it very tight.

If you can, change the oil yourself at 200 miles. You'd be amazed at how much flake is in the oil. (its normal though). The fresh oil will probably help with hard shifts. If it's still bad, get it to the dealer. Then do the 600 and continue to yammi specs. oil changes are super easy if you do them yourself. If not, when you go to take off the oil filter, you'll find that the shop has it very tight.
Thanks I changed the oil at 500 miles and the shifting did improve tremendously. I used Yamalube 10w40 and a Yamaha filter. I plan on changing the oil again at 1000 miles and switching to Mobil 1 4T 10w40 and probably a WIX filter from Carquest or NAPA

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member