New bike tire suitability?

effzee6arr

I recently bought an 09 FZ6R as a move-up from my Ninja 250 and I love the Yamaha! But I have a concern about the front tire: I have about 500 miles on the new bike's tires, so they're fairly well scuffed up, but in the twisties turns it just doesn't feel like the front tire is really grabbing the pavement the way my little Ninja's did. Has anybody else had the same experience? Are there recommendations for a more appropriate tire or other modification? Could it be the suspension?

owldaddy

The "Trail Braking" technique will help plant the front tire in a turn. I haven't had any issues with the Bridgestone BT021's that came with my 6R. Is that the tire you have on yours?

effzee6arr

The "Trail Braking" technique will help plant the front tire in a turn. I haven't had any issues with the Bridgestone BT021's that came with my 6R. Is that the tire you have on yours?
Trail braking seems to be for the highly experienced rider, which I am not yet (Trail braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). And I didn't have this issue on the Ninja even though I am taking the turns essentially the same.

The factory front tire is Dunlop Sportmax.

JonKerr

Elite Member

owldaddy

Sounds like your tires are the culprit. Jon knows how to make his bike go around turns. I'll be getting some BT023's in the future. As I understand it, they are very nice. that info comes from someone I have the highest respect for when it comes to motorcycles. I'm currently using Dunlop Roadsmarts on my BMW, I'm ok with them, but I like the BT021's on the Yamaha better. The forks could use some help too. There is a lot of info on forks to be found here.

Roaddawg

I had the BT021's and they were great for mileage wear, but I was never completely confident in them for twisties. I just put on the Shinko Raven 009's and I have put about 600 miles on them so far. I like them better then the BT021's. I feel more comfortable with them....and best part was they were $163 for both delivered!

JonKerr

Elite Member