Nervous about getting on my FZ6R

dont be nervous i was nervous when i got mine being my first bike now i wish i wouldve got the fz1 like everyone told me too.....nothing against the 6 but its a teard in my opinion very fun to ride though
Can you give a little more detail on your description of the bike?

R

Roni73

I'm a new rider also and just bought an FZ6 a week ago. I'm extremely nervous about getting on it but did so over the weekend in a parking lot. To my surprise the FZ6 is a lot more 'forgiving' than the Buell we used in class. I have no doubt if we don't let our nerves intimidate us and get out there and practice, we will be riding by the end of the summer! Keep me posted on your progress.

T

tuningfork

just get out there and ride, find some low-traffic flat roads where you can go 30-40 mph tops and get used to it.

I will buck the trend a bit and say avoid the MSF type low-speed sharp turns a bit untill you get used to the new clutch and throttle and break in the bike a bit, it will run smoother for you. Then work on the turns as it is a good skill.

I sat on 6R over the weekend and it feels like a toy, low seat, thin around the legs, and easy-reach bars with good view of the road. seems like it should be very easy to ride. :thumbup:

I'm a new rider also and just bought an FZ6 a week ago. I'm extremely nervous about getting on it but did so over the weekend in a parking lot. To my surprise the FZ6 is a lot more 'forgiving' than the Buell we used in class. I have no doubt if we don't let our nerves intimidate us and get out there and practice, we will be riding by the end of the summer! Keep me posted on your progress.
I will man thanks for your input.

atomoverride

Dude I have ridden my bike 3 days out of the 3 weeks I bought it. Just ride it. Go around the block. then go further the next day. Then after your 3rd time u will be going down the road like nobody's business.

Dude I have ridden my bike 3 days out of the 3 weeks I bought it. Just ride it. Go around the block. then go further the next day. Then after your 3rd time u will be going down the road like nobody's business.
I know man, it's kind of hard right now with me being in Virginia and my FZ6R in Florida.... LOL....

atomoverride

I know man, it's kind of hard right now with me being in Virginia and my FZ6R in Florida.... LOL....
just gotta go do it! I was hella nervous at first too. I mean come on 10 min on the first day! I went around the corner and back. (I didnt want to be the guy who dumped his bike on day 1).

just gotta go do it! I was hella nervous at first too. I mean come on 10 min on the first day! I went around the corner and back. (I didnt want to be the guy who dumped his bike on day 1).
To late I already dumped it on the first day I got it..... Thankfully no damage at all as it went into the soft dirt and fluffy grass... I was one lucky fella, let me tell ya.... LOL....

GoGreen09

Just another bit to get you more comfortable with the bike - the brakes are great! I tested them first hand over the Memorial Day weekend traffic. Phantom traffic, then BAM - COMPLETE STOP of the Suburban in front of me. I'm not sure about the distance, but 65 to 0 in no time and I didn't even lock any of the wheels.

Just another bit to get you more comfortable with the bike - the brakes are great! I tested them first hand over the Memorial Day weekend traffic. Phantom traffic, then BAM - COMPLETE STOP of the Suburban in front of me. I'm not sure about the distance, but 65 to 0 in no time and I didn't even lock any of the wheels.
Good stuff man, thanks for your input.

atomoverride

To late I already dumped it on the first day I got it..... Thankfully no damage at all as it went into the soft dirt and fluffy grass... I was one lucky fella, let me tell ya.... LOL....
OH SNAP! well at least there no damage. Yeah before the bike was delivered I had them install the frame sliders. I figured better safe than sorry.

OH SNAP! well at least there no damage. Yeah before the bike was delivered I had them install the frame sliders. I figured better safe than sorry.
Yeah I got my frame sliders waiting on me when I get home. Putting them on before I take her out.

R

Ryan T

Lots of valuable info on here to assist you over your apprehension. Here is a good method to ease those fears.

- Once home, take some time to admire your ride. Sit on it and get used to all the controls.
- Go ahead and install your sliders and tell yourself that you won't need them today cause your riding will be easy.
- Go thur the same routine that you did at the MSF course. Stick to the familiar.
- Do the exercise to get a feel for the throttle, take note of the play in it, get a feel for how much twist of the wrist gets you in those high RPMs, now you know what to stay away from.
- Work on the clutch, find the friction zone, work on moving the bike with no throttle input
- Now figure out where you're going to practice and imagine what you'll do on your way there and when you get there, visualize it.
- Go practice
- REMEMBER - low wrist means low throttle inputs
- Always keep in mind that YOU control the bike and it's not the other way around.

PMA - Positive Mental Attitude : Riding starts with an attitude.

M

MarinaFazer

did you ever do fast starts on your 250 followed by emergency braking as if someone blew the red light while you're about to start through? Do that a few times. It helped me. Also, just don't redline it. Just cruise on it and it'll do the rest right when you want it to.

Lots of valuable info on here to assist you over your apprehension. Here is a good method to ease those fears.

- Once home, take some time to admire your ride. Sit on it and get used to all the controls.
- Go ahead and install your sliders and tell yourself that you won't need them today cause your riding will be easy.
- Go thur the same routine that you did at the MSF course. Stick to the familiar.
- Do the exercise to get a feel for the throttle, take note of the play in it, get a feel for how much twist of the wrist gets you in those high RPMs, now you know what to stay away from.
- Work on the clutch, find the friction zone, work on moving the bike with no throttle input
- Now figure out where you're going to practice and imagine what you'll do on your way there and when you get there, visualize it.
- Go practice
- REMEMBER - low wrist means low throttle inputs
- Always keep in mind that YOU control the bike and it's not the other way around.

PMA - Positive Mental Attitude : Riding starts with an attitude.
Thanks man will do!

did you ever do fast starts on your 250 followed by emergency braking as if someone blew the red light while you're about to start through? Do that a few times. It helped me. Also, just don't redline it. Just cruise on it and it'll do the rest right when you want it to.
Yeah in BRC they put us on a straight away at about 25 MPH and at the last second they said either quick brake, swerve left or swerve right. I passed with flying colors.

fz6recon

That was one of my favorite parts...there is alot of good info here..

That was one of my favorite parts...there is alot of good info here..
Your right man. I didn't expect this thread to get many hits. But I'm glad it did. Everyone who posted in this thread gave out some good info for all new riders. Just want to thank you all for doing that. We are all one family here and this thread really shows it.

God Bless you all!

mwilkins_2000

Can you give a little more detail on your description of the bike?
small good beginer bike but anyone even beginers will get bored with it i am bored with mine and only put 600 miles on it i just shouldve got a fz1 or a similar bigger bike with alot more power and comfort

C

champion221elite

Just relax... take those skills you learned in the BRC class and work on them one skill at a time in a large enclosed space (parking lots are great after business hours).

Work on the basics, and have fun. Once you learn your bike one skill at a time, you can start incorporating multiple skills together to better simulate actual riding. You'll never enjoy your bike if you're scared to ride it.