Nervous about getting on my FZ6R

Well most of you know I just completed the BRC 2 weeks ago. I rode a Ninja 250 and a Suzuki GZ 250 in the course for about 8 hours combined. I have yet to get on my FZ6R since I got it 2 months ago. I am really nervous on how much power the 600cc engine will have in first. I plan on doing what I learned in the BRC but I am still extremely nervous about getting on it. My friends and even my wife is pushing me to go ride it or go riding with them on it. But I know I am no where ready to hit the streets yet. Any words of wisdom from you veteran riders out there to help me overcome my fear of my first ride on my FZ6R. Thanks!

S

Steph

The longer you put it off, the bigger it is going to get in your mind. Get on it and ride! All you have to remember is YOU are the throttle control, keep your wrist out of it!

F

FZ1inNH

Are there any vacant lots nearby you can practice in? You need to use the BRC techniques to develop some muscle memory for the friction zone on this new bike. You'll want to learn how the throttle responds. You'll want to practice slow cornering as well as some emergency stopping at 40 mph and lower. Once you get a feel for the bike, head out on the road with it.

I strongly discourage taking a passenger until you have a comfortable feel for the bike and the way it responds.

You'll do just fine, just be gentle with the throttle.

C

cv_rider

Yes, I remember that anxiety when learning. Try to get to a parking lot and log some time there. Getting there in the first place is often the hard part! Standard advice (from Proficient Motorcycling) is: don't take a passenger until you've had two seasons of riding under your belt.

R

ReblTeen84

The FZ6 was my first bike, after an 80cc mini-bike about 10 or so years ago, so that was a huge jump in power - i never got the 250 to start on. I bought it before I had my license, took the BRC about 2 weeks after i got it and got my license that weekend. I tooled around my street for a week after i got it, getting used to the throttle and the friction zone, then tooled around the streets in my neighborhood to practice the cornering and throttle control. Took it to a parking lot the weekend I took the BRC to practice what I learned each day as well, then started going a little farther after I got my license - around the neighborhood, then the local streets, then started riding around town. Didn't take my wife on it till i'd had my license about 7 months. Just be careful and remember what you learned and have fun - being scared of it will only make it worse. Hell, I COULDN'T wait to get my license to get out there...it took a LOT of effort to stay off the roads until I got my license.

The longer you put it off, the bigger it is going to get in your mind. Get on it and ride! All you have to remember is YOU are the throttle control, keep your wrist out of it!
Steph, I would love to have been on it already but being Military it keeps me away from my bike. I have a lot of reasons for for keeping my bike in sunny Florida.

R

Ryan T

Here are a few pointers that will help:

1. Your concern is well placed, however your riding starts with an attitude, the proper attitude will set the tone.
2. Wrist down to start out on the throttle, this will eliminate the possibility of too much throttle input. If your wrist is up or level you will be able to give it more gas. Since you are concerned, less gas is better.
3. Throttle control, throttle control, throttle control.
4. PRACTICE, start small and work your way up. Baby steps on the FZ6 since it's a motorcycle you're not used to.
5. Use what you learned in BRC. It can serve you well.
6. The more time you spend ON the bike practicing the better off you'll be. Your confidence level will rise with the more time you have on the bike.
7. You got to overcome your apprehension. Best way to do that is to practice and ride.

As you can see, practice is in there quite a bit, hint, hint.

:Sport:

Are there any vacant lots nearby you can practice in? You need to use the BRC techniques to develop some muscle memory for the friction zone on this new bike. You'll want to learn how the throttle responds. You'll want to practice slow cornering as well as some emergency stopping at 40 mph and lower. Once you get a feel for the bike, head out on the road with it.

I strongly discourage taking a passenger until you have a comfortable feel for the bike and the way it responds.

You'll do just fine, just be gentle with the throttle.
I won't even think about having a passenger on my bike ever and will practice everything you mentioned as long as I can get it to a vacant parking lot.

Yes, I remember that anxiety when learning. Try to get to a parking lot and log some time there. Getting there in the first place is often the hard part! Standard advice (from Proficient Motorcycling) is: don't take a passenger until you've had two seasons of riding under your belt.
Yeah getting to the parking lot is the one thing mainly on my mind. I might have a veteran rider get it there for me.

The FZ6 was my first bike, after an 80cc mini-bike about 10 or so years ago, so that was a huge jump in power - i never got the 250 to start on. I bought it before I had my license, took the BRC about 2 weeks after i got it and got my license that weekend. I tooled around my street for a week after i got it, getting used to the throttle and the friction zone, then tooled around the streets in my neighborhood to practice the cornering and throttle control. Took it to a parking lot the weekend I took the BRC to practice what I learned each day as well, then started going a little farther after I got my license - around the neighborhood, then the local streets, then started riding around town. Didn't take my wife on it till i'd had my license about 7 months. Just be careful and remember what you learned and have fun - being scared of it will only make it worse. Hell, I COULDN'T wait to get my license to get out there...it took a LOT of effort to stay off the roads until I got my license.
I get my license on 1 June when I get to Florida. I'm really pissed at myself cause the first day I got my bike I dropped it while trying to take off. I had no knowledge or training at that time. I went to the BRC after that. I wish I never got on it but whats done is done.

Here are a few pointers that will help:

1. Your concern is well placed, however your riding starts with an attitude, the proper attitude will set the tone.
2. Wrist down to start out on the throttle, this will eliminate the possibility of too much throttle input. If your wrist is up or level you will be able to give it more gas. Since you are concerned, less gas is better.
3. Throttle control, throttle control, throttle control.
4. PRACTICE, start small and work your way up. Baby steps on the FZ6 since it's a motorcycle you're not used to.
5. Use what you learned in BRC. It can serve you well.
6. The more time you spend ON the bike practicing the better off you'll be. Your confidence level will rise with the more time you have on the bike.
7. You got to overcome your apprehension. Best way to do that is to practice and ride.

As you can see, practice is in there quite a bit, hint, hint.

:Sport:
Thanks Ryan good advice. But I will only be with my bike for about 7 days then back to VA. I wish I had a valid reason for bringing it with me but I don't. There's just way to much traffic in VA and I don't want to take the bike out of the Florida weather.

D

dean owens

i remember that feeling. and i think it's good you have that feeling. i know it's not popular to say on this forum but i don't think the fz6r (especially the fz6) is a good beginner bike no matter what yamaha says. having said that, you have the bike and that's what you're going to be learning on. don't give into pressure and take your time. as has been said, if you can find a lot near by to practice in that should be the first place you go. my favorite place to practice is behind lowe's. it's clean... there's plenty of room... and there is never anyone back there. i practice my u-turns and quick stops every few weeks back there. find a place you can practice and get used to your bike. if you did well in the brc, and you take your time getting to know your bike, you should be ok. just take your time.

-------

i say i remember that feeling... i remember having my bike. took the basic riders course and i was so happy when i passed and went and got my license. first day i had a chance i got suited up and ready to ride. all except my helmet and gloves. i looked at my wife and gave her a kiss. then i looked at my 1 year old. i almost didn't get on my bike. it was tough giving her a goodbye kiss.

after about 20 minutes of procrastinating i headed outside. i got on the bike and put my helmet on. i got to the end of the driveway. i don't know how long i sat there before i got on the road but it felt like forever. i was so scared. i finally got on the road and went maybe an 1/8th of a mile and dipped into a parking lot and just road in circles. i was so scared to get out on the road.

then i decided to bite the bullet. i got out there. man it was so much fun. only problem is i was afraid to turn because i didn't want to take the turn too fast and i had cars behind me. i ended up riding about 30 miles to the next town before i found a place i felt comfortable turning. after that i was good though. my first day i think i did about 200 miles just riding around. i also dropped it that day. i tried to do a u-turn and hit the front brakes. :spank:

anyway, all that to say, we've all been there. a little fear is a healthy thing. take your time and practice. i can't say you'll be fine... but i know i was once i took my time and practiced.

i remember that feeling. and i think it's good you have that feeling. i know it's not popular to say on this forum but i don't think the fz6r (especially the fz6) is a good beginner bike no matter what yamaha says. having said that, you have the bike and that's what you're going to be learning on. don't give into pressure and take your time. as has been said, if you can find a lot near by to practice in that should be the first place you go. my favorite place to practice is behind lowe's. it's clean... there's plenty of room... and there is never anyone back there. i practice my u-turns and quick stops every few weeks back there. find a place you can practice and get used to your bike. if you did well in the brc, and you take your time getting to know your bike, you should be ok. just take your time.

-------

i say i remember that feeling... i remember having my bike. took the basic riders course and i was so happy when i passed and went and got my license. first day i had a chance i got suited up and ready to ride. all except my helmet and gloves. i looked at my wife and gave her a kiss. then i looked at my 1 year old. i almost didn't get on my bike. it was tough giving her a goodbye kiss.

after about 20 minutes of procrastinating i headed outside. i got on the bike and put my helmet on. i got to the end of the driveway. i don't know how long i sat there before i got on the road but it felt like forever. i was so scared. i finally got on the road and went maybe an 1/8th of a mile and dipped into a parking lot and just road in circles. i was so scared to get out on the road.

then i decided to bite the bullet. i got out there. man it was so much fun. only problem is i was afraid to turn because i didn't want to take the turn too fast and i had cars behind me. i ended up riding about 30 miles to the next town before i found a place i felt comfortable turning. after that i was good though. my first day i think i did about 200 miles just riding around. i also dropped it that day. i tried to do a u-turn and hit the front brakes. :spank:

anyway, all that to say, we've all been there. a little fear is a healthy thing. take your time and practice. i can't say you'll be fine... but i know i was once i took my time and practiced.
Well your right I got the bike already so I have no choice but to learn on it. I didn't get a 250 as I am 6 feet 230 pounds and felt them way to small for me in the BRC.

R

Ryan T

Thanks Ryan good advice. But I will only be with my bike for about 7 days then back to VA. I wish I had a valid reason for bringing it with me but I don't. There's just way to much traffic in VA and I don't want to take the bike out of the Florida weather.
It's not much time but you do need to get on and practice. You'll regret it if you don't.

Take it easy early on.

K

knightrider

I was afraid after taking the course to pick up my used FZ6. When I went in I had this idea that the bike would just take off from under me like a rocket ship. Then I remembered the MSF instructor saying that to ride a bike your unfamiliar with you have to learn the friction zone. I used just the tiniest bit of throttle after finding the friction zone and pulled ahead very slowly.

The bikes can be insanely fast and powerful but I think some of the fear out there about riding a 600 for the first time is a little overdone and far from reality. Oh and the bike will stop much quicker and harder so ease those brakes slowly in. You have the other tools you need to ride already from taking the course.

One of my favorite books right now is "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It is one of the best new rider guides out there. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933958359/ref=s9_subs_gw_s4_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1P3ARX76KMKFMHD2SMF7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]

You'll be fine. And you're super lucky to have a FZ6R as your bike!

It's not much time but you do need to get on and practice. You'll regret it if you don't.

Take it easy early on.
Once I get home my first stop is the DMV to get my endorsement then straight home to put my frame sliders on. Then take it out to get the feel for the friction zone and throttle play. One thing I will remember from BRC is to cover my clutch at all times. I have to remember any unwanted movement of the bike CLUTCH IN! I dropped it the first time cause it almost took out from under me and instead of pulling the clutch in I grabbed the front break and low sided. Now I know what to do and that won't happen again.

C

cp04

Seeing as I started out on a 1k I really don't have any room to talk. However, I will say that you need to "have a little more stupid cowboy in you", and just get on it and ride. A healthy fear is good, but too much will keep you from ever riding it.

Seeing as I started out on a 1k I really don't have any room to talk. However, I will say that you need to "have a little more stupid cowboy in you", and just get on it and ride. A healthy fear is good, but too much will keep you from ever riding it.
I know man I am getting on it as soon as I get home in a safe area. I don't want to hurt myself and for sure don't want to hurt anyone else.

D

dean owens

Well your right I got the bike already so I have no choice but to learn on it. I didn't get a 250 as I am 6 feet 230 pounds and felt them way to small for me in the BRC.
tone doesn't come over too well online. i went back and read what i wrote. i hope it didn't come off as a "see i told you so" voice. my intent was just to say you have every reason to have a healthy fear.

what ryan said was GREAT! one thing i'd add is as you're working on your friction zone to make sure you're comfortable with the controls. sounds simple, but you don't want to be looking down to find your turn signals while you're riding.

also a big plus one on proficient motorcycling. that and his follow up are great books to have on hand.

one other thing i'll throw out there. i know you're bike is in fl but you're in va right now. is this very temporary or are you stationed their for a while? and are you staying on base?

here's the reason i ask. i know the 250's are too small for you. but if you're going to be up there for a while (and you're on base) you might be able to pick up a ninja 250 (or 500) pretty cheap if you keep your eyes opened. could be something you could tool around on base with. that way you stay in practice for when you get home.

now if you're only in va until june first and then you're down in fl... well just forget i ever said anything. ;)

MNDZA

My ONLY experience even sitting on a bike was in the MSF course. I rode a GZ250 and a couple other 250cc bikes. Immediately after passing the class and getting my license, I got my FZ6R. I rode around my neighborhood for a couple days and then went to the local mall's parking lot for a couple more days. You'll see that this bike is very easy to learn on. You'll be on the street in no time....just ride carefully and watch out for cars!