Nervous about getting on my FZ6R

tone doesn't come over too well online. i went back and read what i wrote. i hope it didn't come off as a "see i told you so" voice. my intent was just to say you have every reason to have a healthy fear.

what ryan said was GREAT! one thing i'd add is as you're working on your friction zone to make sure you're comfortable with the controls. sounds simple, but you don't want to be looking down to find your turn signals while you're riding.

also a big plus one on proficient motorcycling. that and his follow up are great books to have on hand.

one other thing i'll throw out there. i know you're bike is in fl but you're in va right now. is this very temporary or are you stationed their for a while? and are you staying on base?

here's the reason i ask. i know the 250's are too small for you. but if you're going to be up there for a while (and you're on base) you might be able to pick up a ninja 250 (or 500) pretty cheap if you keep your eyes opened. could be something you could tool around on base with. that way you stay in practice for when you get home.

now if you're only in va until june first and then you're down in fl... well just forget I ever said anything. ;)
I'll be in VA till 1 June 2010 then move to Fort Knox. I live off post in Dumfries VA and I'm looking for a beater up bike about 500cc or less. I don't have a garage here to keep my bike and don't want to leave it on the street and don't want to pay for storage monthly. So I'm keeping it in Florida where it's nice and safe.

My ONLY experience even sitting on a bike was in the MSF course. I rode a GZ250 and a couple other 250cc bikes. Immediately after passing the class and getting my license, I got my FZ6R. I rode around my neighborhood for a couple days and then went to the local mall's parking lot for a couple more days. You'll see that this bike is very easy to learn on. You'll be on the street in no time....just ride carefully and watch out for cars!
I plan on taking it real slow and do the same exact thing they showed me in the BRC when I first got on the 250cc. I knew nothing about riding a bike before that and with in 30 minutes I felt comfortable on the 250's.

F

flash89

When I bought my first bike (Kawasaki ZR7-S 750cc). I was very nervous as well. I started out riding a 2 mile lenght of road close to my house that I knew very well. At the end of the two miles there was a parking lot I could practice starting and stopping. I woke up early and made this ride before there was much traffic. I would make it a 15 or so minute ride. Riding to the parking lot, do some practice and then riding back. I would then go off my bike and do something else for while and then do the same ride again and repeated the process over and over. I did this for probably 2 days until I was so comfortable with that I dying to do more, and then I did. I've recommended this genreal idea to lots of people who've said it worked for them, maybe its right for you too.

Good Luck, and have fun!

fz6r rider

i agree with flash back and forth on the same street repeating over and over for a day or two that will do the trick

joloy133

Hey Smooth, my sitcon is similar to yours. (My son is 11 bang bang btw, so thank you!) I had to pick up my bike and ride 20 mi. on a relatively busy hwy. to boot. The dealer has a big lot so I drove around there for a bit. I told my buddy I was nervous, and he said, " I don't want to challenge your manhood but maybe you should have them drop your bike off 4 you?" Understand I'm a retired firefighter who has been in some big fires. That was it, I sent him down the road and reminded myself why I took the MSF course in the first place. What you're feeling is normal and from the sound of it you'll do fine. Don't rush anything, easy throttle, early gentle braking (squeeze no snatch), look ahead and be aware. The MSF course is better than you know. As for the bike, it is that good. The throttle is not snatchy or jumpy, clutch is smooth and feel for it was immediate, brakes have good feel. Just ride and use the common sense you have, be defensive of the other guy. It'll be fun.......post how it goes, I'll be looking for it..............133

J

jody.adams

I find that the bar ends on the FZ are big enough that you can place most of your grip on them, so when you twist the throttle, it will be far more precise and controlled. Just rev it ever so slightly and then work the clutch to get it rolling. Be real easy and learn that friction zone. Dont worry about adding power as you release the clutch. If you have the throttle fixed at let's say 1200-1400 rpm, you're golden (maybe even less than that). You can do it all with the clutch at that point and if you stall, let it out slower next time. I found that I could even leave the bike at idle and take off with the clutch only.

Roll a few feet then pull in the clutch, release throttle and stop like they taught you in BRC. Keep doing that until the confidence builds. When it feels good start making the shift to second, then pull clutch, stop etc. etc. What you will be doing is building that muscle memory needed so that you wont have to think in a panic situation.

I did this all around the neighborhood for a week before entering traffic. Sure you'll stall it about a thousand times and people will look at you. It happens to all of us. Just stay focused on the bike and it's operation. Never mind what the neighbors think.

I found that the Fizz runs as easy as a moped if you shift early and keep the RPM low. It doesn't turn into an animal until you start to hit 6500 and up.

Take a deep breath and go ride that bike. :thumbup:

PS. I had an experienced rider bring my bike home from the dealer for me. There is no shame in being smart. If it's still at the dealer, have it delivered.

I find that the bar ends on the FZ are big enough that you can place most of your grip on them, so when you twist the throttle, it will be far more precise and controlled. Just rev it ever so slightly and then work the clutch to get it rolling. Be real easy and learn that friction zone. Dont worry about adding power as you release the clutch. If you have the throttle fixed at let's say 1200-1400 rpm, you're golden (maybe even less than that). You can do it all with the clutch at that point and if you stall, let it out slower next time. I found that I could even leave the bike at idle and take off with the clutch only.

Roll a few feet then pull in the clutch, release throttle and stop like they taught you in BRC. Keep doing that until the confidence builds. When it feels good start making the shift to second, then pull clutch, stop etc. etc. What you will be doing is building that muscle memory needed so that you wont have to think in a panic situation.

I did this all around the neighborhood for a week before entering traffic. Sure you'll stall it about a thousand times and people will look at you. It happens to all of us. Just stay focused on the bike and it's operation. Never mind what the neighbors think.

I found that the Fizz runs as easy as a moped if you shift early and keep the RPM low. It doesn't turn into an animal until you start to hit 6500 and up.

Take a deep breath and go ride that bike. :thumbup:

PS. I had an experienced rider bring my bike home from the dealer for me. There is no shame in being smart. If it's still at the dealer, have it delivered.
It's in my garage the salesman rode it home for me. Thanks for your input.

soul_eye

Well most of you know I just completed the BRC 2 weeks ago. I rode a Ninja 250 and a Suzuki GZ 250 in the course for about 8 hours combined. I have yet to get on my FZ6R since I got it 2 months ago. I am really nervous on how much power the 600cc engine will have in first. I plan on doing what I learned in the BRC but I am still extremely nervous about getting on it. My friends and even my wife is pushing me to go ride it or go riding with them on it. But I know I am no where ready to hit the streets yet. Any words of wisdom from you veteran riders out there to help me overcome my fear of my first ride on my FZ6R. Thanks!

I can completely relate as I just had the exact same experience this weekend. I took my MSF course about a couple months ago, and it was my first time having ever ridden on a motorbike. Got my M1 about a month ago as well, but I just hadn't had the opportunity to ride on a bike since then until this past Friday when my new FZ6R was delivered to my house on trailer by the dealer (there's some freeway travel between me and the dealership so I was uncomfortable riding it home).

Anyway, the bike got dropped off around 2pm, and I swear it sat in the driveway untouched for a good 5 hours or so, I kept making excuses as to why I couldn't go ride because I had to do this or I have to do that. Then I realized I was avoiding starting her up because I was feeling so nervous. I finally swallowed my fears and told myself that I was fully PREPARED to ride whether I was nervous or not and jumped in the seat.

And after only 30mins I was already having the best time ever! It handles like a DREAM compared to the beater Rebels and Nighthawks I had ridden in the MSF and even though I can tell there's a massive amount of power on tap, the FZ6R makes me feel COMPLETELY in control at all times.

The only advice I can give is to remember that you were trained for this, you're not out there to impress anybody, it's just time to kick your learning curve up a notch. Trust me, it'll be FUN! :rockon::rockon:

fz6recon

Hey man...I kinda had the same problem...I took the BRC and didn't get my bike for almost a month later...In the course I only rode a suzuki 250 cruiser...I remember thinking this is nothing like the bike I'm getting...I didn't practice any after I passed the course and was really nervous the day I went to pick up the bike...I rode it around the dealership parking lot a couple times and then decided I was ready and made the 20-odd mile ride home just fine...don't worry i know it's over used but "it's like riding a bike" (to some extent)...and you'll remember how to act/react faster than you'd expect...

Hey man...I kinda had the same problem...I took the BRC and didn't get my bike for almost a month later...In the course I only rode a suzuki 250 cruiser...I remember thinking this is nothing like the bike I'm getting...I didn't practice any after I passed the course and was really nervous the day I went to pick up the bike...I rode it around the dealership parking lot a couple times and then decided I was ready and made the 20-odd mile ride home just fine...don't worry i know it's over used but "it's like riding a bike" (to some extent)...and you'll remember how to act/react faster than you'd expect...
I'm sure I'll do fine just a little nervous as most noobs are. I got on it the first day I got it and tried to take off not knowing how to operate the clutch and throttle and layed it down gently. I was nervous in the BRC when about to get on the Ninja 250. That moment of laying my bike down came back to me. But I did what they told me and I covered my clutch and not the front brake and I was fine. At one point I don't know what I did in the BRC but I gave the Ninja to much throttle and it took off on me and for about 2 seconds I didn't know what to do then remembered "Cover my clutch and apply both brakes gently" and that's what I did. The instructor saw what happened and told me. Man I thought you were heading straight for the wall but you kept your cool and did the right thing. Great job. I just hope that doesn't happen on my FZ6R as it has a lot more power and surely don't want that to happen on the road.

fz6recon

IDK what it was but I was TERRIBLE on the BRC course but I'm a totally different animal on my bike :D

W

Wiz

Another tip, and please, don't take this wrong. Dress for the crash. Wear the protective gear you need. The bike can be repaired, but bones and connective tissue cannot. I find that "dressing to ride" helps put me in the right mood to ride. Spend 20/30 minutes in a parking lot doing the exercises your were taught. Try some "quick" stops, weaves and u turns. After 2 or three of these sessions you will begin to have the confidence you need to move to side street riding, then to county/country roads and so on. Lots of people love to do this so you shouldn't be scared of it. Respectful is good. Respect the speed, power, and safety that is built into the machine you bought. It will give you years of enjoyment.

Ride Safe,

WIZ

Another tip, and please, don't take this wrong. Dress for the crash. Wear the protective gear you need. The bike can be repaired, but bones and connective tissue cannot. I find that "dressing to ride" helps put me in the right mood to ride. Spend 20/30 minutes in a parking lot doing the exercises your were taught. Try some "quick" stops, weaves and u turns. After 2 or three of these sessions you will begin to have the confidence you need to move to side street riding, then to county/country roads and so on. Lots of people love to do this so you shouldn't be scared of it. Respectful is good. Respect the speed, power, and safety that is built into the machine you bought. It will give you years of enjoyment.

Ride Safe,

WIZ
I got a helmet, gloves and jacket. I just need riding pants and boots. I'll where my over the ankle timberlands for now. I live on a quiet street so I guess I can practice there before I move to a parking lot.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Don't worry yourself into a panic. I took my MSF BRC last year in June and didn't get my bike until this February. So I went 8 months without riding after the course. I was a little nervous at first, but told myself that it was no big deal. Start out slow and doing the drills you learned. Once you feel comfortable with the bike and how to control it, then you can progress to riding on secluded streets.

This is my first bike and I love it! I've put almost 1500 miles on it without incident. Just remember what you learned, and that you ultimately have control over what the bike does.

Enjoy and ride safe.

fz6rwolf

This is my first bike and I love it! I've put almost 1500 miles on it without incident. Just remember what you learned, and that you ultimately have control over what the bike does.

Enjoy and ride safe.
Well I'm I guess close to 1600 after about 200 today. Longest ride so far on it and flawless. I got out the allen wrenches today for the 1st tme as I noticed a buzzing from the upper fairing and just about all fairing and windshield bolts were bit loose.

S

Scorphonic

The one and only advice i can give you is this:

You bought it for a reason, go easy with the throttle (its not THAT sensitive) and just get out there and ride!!

Do this to build your confidence:

Get on bike, start engine, Keep the bike in NEUTRAL, play with throttle...get a feel for the response. Now, put it into gear but hold in the clutch, keep your hand away from the throttle. Release the clutch until you feel the bike moving forward (the revs will drop once the clutch engages the gears) Repeat this so you get a feel for the "biting point". Now hold in the clutch, put the bike into gear, take hold of the throttle and as you release the clutch to the biting point increase the throttle slightly to keep the revs up at idling speed and creep forward slowly. Keep repeating until you get bored and want to go for a drive. I went from a 125cc to this bike...easy move to be honest. You'll be fine!

The one and only advice i can give you is this:

You bought it for a reason, go easy with the throttle (its not THAT sensitive) and just get out there and ride!!

Do this to build your confidence:

Get on bike, start engine, Keep the bike in NEUTRAL, play with throttle...get a feel for the response. Now, put it into gear but hold in the clutch, keep your hand away from the throttle. Release the clutch until you feel the bike moving forward (the revs will drop once the clutch engages the gears) Repeat this so you get a feel for the "biting point". Now hold in the clutch, put the bike into gear, take hold of the throttle and as you release the clutch to the biting point increase the throttle slightly to keep the revs up at idling speed and creep forward slowly. Keep repeating until you get bored and want to go for a drive. I went from a 125cc to this bike...easy move to be honest. You'll be fine!
That's exactly what I'm going to do. I was confident on the 250's so I guess this will be kind of the same once I get the hang of it.

mwilkins_2000

dont be nervous i was nervous when i got mine being my first bike now i wish i wouldve got the fz1 like everyone told me too.....nothing against the 6 but its a teard in my opinion very fun to ride though