Needed opinion. Blue crust on brand new bike.

jfont

I just purchased a brand new(.2 miles :D) 2012 FZ6R this past Saturday. However there was blue crusty residue under part of the bike(see picture) which could be rubbed off with a finger. When I questioned the mechanic he said it was most likely sealant that had leaked out. The crust is along the crack between metal components and goes up behind the aluminum part some distance where I can't get a good look. I took his word because they all seemed trustworthy and helpful at the dealership but I am still curious on what it was. The bike was just built the night before and as I said there was only .2 miles on it. It doesn't seem to have leaked any for the minute or two it has been running since. I haven't ridden it more than that because I had to go back to school. So I don't have an actual picture of the stuff. Do you guys have any opinions on what the blue crust might be.

Attachments

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Detrich

^ what Nismo said.

My R1 was also freshly built out of the crate the AM/ day I got it. And, when I got her home I also noticed some of that gray-ish blue residue exactly in the same spot u circled, roughly. Just wiped it off with some Windex wipes and that was it.

Last edited:

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

jfont

I have a coolant leak in that same area I'm trying to pin down, and it leaves a pale blue crusty residue. I wiped mine off and am keeping an eye on it. Not sure where the source of my leak is yet.
What seems to be the catalyst? When the engine is hot, or when the the bike is running at all?

I believe the coolant drain bolt (very small) is around that area. Double-check that it's tight (don't strip it), and that it's not leaking. It's got a copper crush washer that needs to be replaced every time you change the coolant. I replaced mine last time, but during the multiple flush cycles I did, I kept re-using it, and just before I finally replaced it with the new washer, I noticed it started leaking. New washer took care of that.

Detrich

This is why the 600 mile (1st) dealer service is so important. They will re-check all the stuff they had to wrench during assembly and make sure everything's kosher. :)

It's much more than just a simple oil change.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

echs332000

Super old but I found out the reason on mine. It's the coolant overflow bottle right behind the fairing. My top had came off and allowed a bit to spill out

VRIIClubby

When I dropped mine I had some blue fluid that dried in the same place, wiped off and never appeared again, I put it down to overflow when I dropped it?

Chucker

I think a smurf was hitching a ride in the crate from Japan, got a little horned up and decided to pleasure himself. I hope you washed your hands after touching it.