need turn signal help!

got aftermarket flushmounts for my bike, and of course like everyone else's they blink too fast.

other forums say get an EL-12 relay. the only instructions for installation are on the r6 forums....is this the same installation process? do you have to tap the stock relay wires? most relays just plug in easy as pie, and my owners manual (not service manual) does not show where the stock relay is

HELP!!

kevin8198

Elite Member
i would agree that the faster blinking lights may be safer, however 2 concerns. 1 concern is the turn signal indicator on the dash is a diagnostic to tell you if something is wrong with the bike, they are supposed to blink faster when say a bulb is burnt out to let you know

the other concern is that since they blink so rapidly, they do not have enough time to get to its full brightness

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Gwai lo 2.0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an inline resistor be a cheaper and easier solution? It would slow the blinking.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Gwai lo 2.0

i would agree that the faster blinking lights may be safer, however 2 concerns. 1 concern is the turn signal indicator on the dash is a diagnostic to tell you if something is wrong with the bike, they are supposed to blink faster when say a bulb is burnt out to let you know

the other concern is that since they blink so rapidly, they do not have enough time to get to its full brightness
When an LED triggers it goes from Zero to Full bright at almost the speed of light!

When you slow the flash rate with a relay or a resistor, the blinker stays on longer giving you the illusion that it's brighter...

:thumbup:

Spitfire

I generally like the faster blinking myself. To disprove 2 of your points, no offense, but IMO it's just as easy on a bike to check all your turn signals, unlike in a cage and like the other poster said, LED's charge to full brightness in a matter of milliseconds. But yes, it may be 2% safer with them on a slower blink. At least during the day.

Just install another set right below the current set and have them blink opposite the original set ;)