Need to paint a friends bike, need suggestions for a crazy color.

BoneJj

So my friend downed his bike a few months back and now he wants to clean it up and get it painted, katana 600. I have a lot of supplies to paint so I'm considering painting it myself for him.

My problem, I have no clue as to what kind of color to go with and he has no idea as to what color he wants on the bike.

So suggest away on color.

Also I wanted to mess with my little gravity feed detail air brush kit that I haven't used in a long time.

So I could use suggestions on what to put on the bike with that as well. I will not do any kind of flames, those are so damn played out it's ridiculous.

Last edited:

mdgreene2001

Bright wheels, and some crazy graphics in a different color on the plastics, and a black frame or bright frame same color as wheels

Brock Kickass

What year Katana? If it was me I would search images of Kawasaki race bikes of that vintage and use that as a starting point. Don't make a copy, but use the colors and graphics as a starting point and do something crazy from there.

BoneJj

BoneJj

I don't want to do any decals on the bike, I'd rather just paint and only paint. I always hated decals. That's why I want to use the detail air brush that I have to make a design of something different and interesting on it.

BoneJj

I found some rather interesting design ideas here, some of them aren't too bad but still not quite anything I would like to use just yet.

06330i

traffic cone orange, and hi viz yellow. saw this on a r1 a few months ago and was drooling, lol

Brock Kickass

https://www.google.ca/search?q=2006+Kawasaki+motogp&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EKDXUZ7aLem70gGQtoGIAQ&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=320&bih=416#biv=i|2;d|94IE9FIaJH6EEM:

As I said, an exact copy is no fun, but use this as a starting point and just go crazy! Use the colors and make that Katana one of a kind. Using the race bike as a starting point makes the bike turn out looking like it has respect for the roots of the bike but it's not a generic race replica. Use the cues from the race bike and make a unique design. And, yes, make the wheels bright green and go from there!

Brock Kickass

*note from the above post

When I try the link it just gives me a Google home page. If it does the same to you just do a Google image search on 2006 Kawasaki MotoGP to see the bike I am looking at. I wasn't in to MotoGP in 2006, so if there wasn't a Kawasaki MotoGP team in 2006 and I'm looking at a WSBK bike or something just roll with it; the green and black is the point I'm trying to make.

BoneJj

https://www.google.ca/search?q=2006+Kawasaki+motogp&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EKDXUZ7aLem70gGQtoGIAQ&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=320&bih=416#biv=i|2;d|94IE9FIaJH6EEM:

As I said, an exact copy is no fun, but use this as a starting point and just go crazy! Use the colors and make that Katana one of a kind. Using the race bike as a starting point makes the bike turn out looking like it has respect for the roots of the bike but it's not a generic race replica. Use the cues from the race bike and make a unique design. And, yes, make the wheels bright green and go from there!
Suzuki makes the katana, not Kawasaki. My main bike is a Kawasaki but my friend's is a suzuki.

And quite frankly their bikes are rather ugly for motogp:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=2006+Kawasaki+motogp&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EKDXUZ7aLem70gGQtoGIAQ&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=320&bih=416#client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=2006+suzuki+motogp&oq=2006+suzuki+motogp&gs_l=img.3...3634.7447.0.8557.14.14.0.0.0.0.51.624.14.14.0...0.0.0..1c.1.17.img.TkvWnfvR31E&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.eWU&fp=1c8390c76d19614c&biw=1366&bih=653&biv=i|2;d|94IE9FIaJH6EEM:

BoneJj

The 2005 bikes don't look that bad...

I might consider a white top and that brighter blue for the bottom, those are some decent colors but IDK, I'll have to see what my boy mike says about them. Would be pretty interesting to do a nice fade with them. I still would have to figure out what to do with the idea of using the detail air brush.

I haven't done a lot with faded lines between the paints but I would like to give it a try.

pjmac5

I don't want to do any decals on the bike, I'd rather just paint and only paint. I always hated decals. That's why I want to use the detail air brush that I have to make a design of something different and interesting on it.
IMO a Katana has so much plastic that they do not look good in any bright color. I would paint the entire bike metallic black or a metallic charcoal grey with any design in black. Maybe a fade from grey to black with a Suzuki decal. I wouldn't use any color.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

mdgreene2001

EsrTek

My ideas for the bike is:
A) Paint the scheme matching one of the methods used to make a 'katana" blade unisng the below pic for pattern.

The other idea is to paint it all 1 solid color (I'd say black or metallic grey) then use your detail airbrush to add the diamonds from a katana handle. Or airbrush a full katana sword, and add the word "katana" over the blade of sword (I'm thinking this would look good at lower side of main fairings).