Need a faster, bigger, more powerful bike...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

redwing-2001

To be fair, their average speeds are more than the 6R's top speed. Just sayin'.
the point is what I calll useable power. On the track... that's one thing, but for a street rider, especially going over your favorite mountain with technical turns, how much power do you need? How much can a street rider even effectively handle anyway? Unless you are a professional racer, triple digit speeds attained ridiculously quickly on the street is just not necessary. INHO, of course:)

bleedinblue

Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

The 6R is more than enough to have some serious fun. I did not need to upgrade to an FZ1. I also do not need to click down to first gear at 50mph when I am setting up for a pass and then peg the throttle and shift when the tach turns red. I have done it, however, and it is fun to the point that words escape me, and it is something my 6R just couldn't do.
I've driven big power cars, and the fun is the same. I can have a ton of fun in a Miata, or a Tercel for that matter, but the truly excessive power of a GT3 or an M3 literally makes me laugh out loud as I tramp on the narrow pedal and shoot forward like being shot out of a cannon.
Another consideration, which is unique to commercailly available street bikes, is that, when going to a larger displacement bike, you often get more features. Although simillar in style and ergonomcs, the FZ1 is a lot more than an FZ6R with almost twice the power. The little details of the bike reflect the increased cost, both in performance features that need to be upgraded to accomodate the increased power, and in comfort and detail features that are included, mostly because customers who are paying the bigger ticket demand these features.
Purpose-built race bikes have the best suspension and chassis, regardless of displacement, because it is part of racing. Moto2 bikes look almost identical to MotoGP bikes, and cost almost as much, but an FZ1 is a completely different bike than an FZ6R, and costs way more.
Sometimes the features consumers want aren't available on smaller displacement bikes in the street bike market. The FZ1 and FZ8 are a perfect example of this. Besides the extra 200cc, FZ1's come stock with much better suspension, and a bigger price tag than the FZ8, even though they are the almost identical chassis.

BKP

The 6R is more than enough to have some serious fun. I did not need to upgrade to an FZ1. I also do not need to click down to first gear at 50mph when I am setting up for a pass and then peg the throttle and shift when the tach turns red. I have done it, however, and it is fun to the point that words escape me, and it is something my 6R just couldn't do.
I've driven big power cars, and the fun is the same. I can have a ton of fun in a Miata, or a Tercel for that matter, but the truly excessive power of a GT3 or an M3 literally makes me laugh out loud as I tramp on the narrow pedal and shoot forward like being shot out of a cannon.
Another consideration, which is unique to commercailly available street bikes, is that, when going to a larger displacement bike, you often get more features. Although simillar in style and ergonomcs, the FZ1 is a lot more than an FZ6R with almost twice the power. The little details of the bike reflect the increased cost, both in performance features that need to be upgraded to accomodate the increased power, and in comfort and detail features that are included, mostly because customers who are paying the bigger ticket demand these features.
Purpose-built race bikes have the best suspension and chassis, regardless of displacement, because it is part of racing. Moto2 bikes look almost identical to MotoGP bikes, and cost almost as much, but an FZ1 is a completely different bike than an FZ6R, and costs way more.
Sometimes the features consumers want aren't available on smaller displacement bikes in the street bike market. The FZ1 and FZ8 are a perfect example of this. Besides the extra 200cc, FZ1's come stock with much better suspension, and a bigger price tag than the FZ8, even though they are the almost identical chassis.
I can understand that... definitely.

However, when I went to the FZ6R, I thought "man, how did I get along without the additional power." And, it works for me. I'm quite sure if I went to a liter bike, I'd have a few of those same thoughts. In my case, a 250 was under-powered, and I felt that. Never had those feelings with the 600. As for the little luxuries, I don't miss what I don't know in that dept. Any mods I feel are functionally worth it, I'll do.

So, with one exception, if someone wanted to *give* me an FZ1, to replace the 6R, I might have taken it. However, that one exception is I'm too damned pragmatic to own a bike that gets lower mileage than my car... ;)

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

My FZ1 gets horrible mileage. I used to get better mileage out of a 2000 Honda Civic 1.6L SOHC, no VTEC.
I never felt my 600 was under powered. Quite the opposite, I find my FZ1 over powered. There's really no point, but it makes me grin.
THe creature comforts aren't that important, nice to have but won't be missed. I like the suspension a lot, though. At 6'1" and an even 200lb I always found the 6R to be a little soft in the suspension department. That's just me, though. I'm no Valentino Rossi. Sometimes I wonder if my FZ1 suspension feels better because I think it feels better. I can decipher the difference in handling when I dial it in differently, or so I think. Maybe I'm just riding better because I feel more confident. In any case, there are a whack of suspension upgrades for an FZ6R much cheaper than buying a whole new bike.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Invader Jim

Unless you have access to a race track or don't care about possible speeding tickets, I think more power could easily lead to more frustration. What good is a bike that can do 150 - 180+ when the speed limit is 65?

Brock Kickass

Unless you have access to a race track or don't care about possible speeding tickets, I think more power could easily lead to more frustration. What good is a bike that can do 150 - 180+ when the speed limit is 65?
What good is a bike that will do 66mph when the speed limit is 65?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Invader Jim

By the time I hit the rev limiter in second gear... I pretty much blown up every single speed limit in this country! (And getting there quite fast too) And still 4 gears to go... :wav:

I might try to get some data to confirm how fast I can get there...
Maybe the FZ6R actually only needs 3 gears; 1, 2 and 6. ;)

If I am gunning it from a stop and want to rapidly get to highway speed I use 1st to maybe 25-30 mph then shift up to 2nd and easily can get to 80+ in 2nd if I am not watching to ease off at 65. Then I shift up to 6 to cruise completely skipping 3, 4, and 5th.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member