My Tail Light (Not Brake Light) Is Out

JonKerr

Elite Member

geko

It's one bulb but two filaments, one for tail, one for brake so one can work when the other has failed. Chances are if it has blown you'll be able to see the failed filament just by looking at the bulb. Otherwise just check it across a 12 volt battery.

Pete

MikeN02

My friend's brand new 2009 Ninja 250 has this issue, it goes out and only lights up when he brakes.

Really dangerous at night, he actually got crap from a cop for it.

He doesn't have any mods installed on it either, when he took it back to the dealership it worked fine but every now and then it does it.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say check both filaments, like Pete suggested.

Roaddawg

It's one bulb but two filaments, one for tail, one for brake so one can work when the other has failed. Chances are if it has blown you'll be able to see the failed filament just by looking at the bulb. Otherwise just check it across a 12 volt battery.

Pete
+1 on what Pete said. Two filaments in one bulb. My truck just had the same issue.

JonKerr

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'll take a close look when I get home. Thanks. I just hope it's not due to an overload on the system like the service manual suggests. Thanks guys.
I haven't had any trouble with my tail light, and I can assure you that my projector puts way more load on the system than the HIDs you have.

JonKerr

Elite Member

geko

It is a standard wedge type bulb, but you're right not many places stock it. I bought a box of 10 which worked out nearly as cheap as it would buying two bulbs from a regular auto spares shop.

I carry a spare tail/brake and turn signal bulb under the seat in a bit of foam. Same on the GF bike.

Pete