My next motorcycle

F

FZ6Rgurl

OH MY GOD!!!!!! I just rode a 09 Ducati Monster1100S. It is a beautiful bike and quick! The only bad thing is that the guy put a rev limiter on it. It would start jerking around 8k RPM. But it was SO MUCH FUN. It has an "open clutch" so it makes this rattling clicking sound and its kinda annoying. But the seat is so comfortable and when you lay down, its really comfortable too. And even without the windscreen, you don't get a lot of the air pushing against you. Even at 95 ;-). Out of 10, i'd give this bike a 9. Take a point off for the rattling/clicking clutch.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Bigevildoer

OH MY GOD!!!!!! I just rode a 09 Ducati Monster1100S. It is a beautiful bike and quick! The only bad thing is that the guy put a rev limiter on it. It would start jerking around 8k RPM. But it was SO MUCH FUN. It has an "open clutch" so it makes this rattling clicking sound and its kinda annoying. But the seat is so comfortable and when you lay down, its really comfortable too. And even without the windscreen, you don't get a lot of the air pushing against you. Even at 95 ;-). Out of 10, i'd give this bike a 9. Take a point off for the rattling/clicking clutch.
Well, if you had fun on a Monster, try the 848 - no comparison! Sure, the 848 has an aggressive riding posture (highway speed wind resistance helps lift you up and relieves pressure on your arms greatly), but it's SOOOO much fun!!! Ducati demo ride I went on a while back hit speeds over 110 mph several times and the bike felt like it was just starting to really enjoy itself.

I believe the Monsters don't get much above 8K RPM just like the Hypermotards -- remember - it's a V Twin engine with 1100 cc's!! That engine isn't designed to rev much higher than that. Even race engineered V-Twins don't get much higher than 12K tops. I bounced the Hypermotard off the rev limiter several times too.

As for the clutch - it's a dry clutch, not wet like just about every other bike. Ducati's been using these for years.

ME_with_a_B

LOL the Ducati clutch sounds... interesting. :rolleyes:

I've ridden a few times with a guy in our group who has one... it took me a while to stop worrying about his bike b/c I thought something was going to fall off. :p

F

FZ6Rgurl

Ya, when he pulled into the driveway I asked him what that noise was. And it was really weird when the bike wouldn't let me ride past 8K RPM. Especially when I'm used to our bike that the powerband hits around 6K-7K RPM.

RockZooky

Yeah I would like to test ride the 1100, I did take the new 796 out and I loved it. If you dont do the cluch mod. you wont hear it. I dont get why people do that it takes away from the sweet sound coming from the pipes IMO.

F

FZ6Rgurl

I totally agree. He put on the upgraded exhaust for his bike and it literally sounds like a mild Harley. Not quite as loud as a Harley, but pretty darn close. People could hear me coming a mile away lol!

Bigevildoer

I totally agree. He put on the upgraded exhaust for his bike and it literally sounds like a mild Harley. Not quite as loud as a Harley, but pretty darn close. People could hear me coming a mile away lol!
Just about any V-Twin sportbike with an aftermarket exhaust sounds like a seriously mean machine - Ducati, Buell, etc.

This is what my Buell sounds like with an HMF exhaust (no, it's not my bike, but it's the same kind with an HMF exhaust just like mine).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoLPH_PmFJc&feature=related]YouTube - HMF exhaust on Buell 1125R[/ame]

Pretty amusing - scared the poop out of a scooter rider today when I downshifted 2 gears and passed him in the turning lane while whipping around a corner.

Later!