My GSX-R 750 K2

ME_with_a_B

Well, now I've done it. I finally got the bike I've ALWAYS wanted... a gixxer :D And I'm ridiculously ecstatic about it. She's an '02 with about 13k miles, lots of 'em from the track.

Long story short... it was a friend of mine's bike, he doesn't live in this country any more, and after YEARS of hinting, discussing, convincing, and waiting patiently - he finally sold it to me. (I think he was always afraid I would kill myself on it and that's why he never wanted me to have it) [he crashed on his '00 and spent several months in the hospital b/c of the wreck]

He mod'd the bike for performance; its a speed-demon to say the least. He used to drag it and whatnot. The front is lowered 1/2" so it corners differently, and there's a few other things done to it to basically make it stupid-fast. It was a toss up between shipping it to Abu Dhabi to race on the tracks, or give it to me and buy a Ducati with which to do the same. Needless to explain -- I am very persuasive, and got it from him.

I'd like to have it painted white with pink accents (still working on the design, but I'm pretty sure the pink parts are going to be evil looking butterflies) and I'm talking right now w/some friends about powder-coating the frame and swing-arm to black so it'll be easier to match to my gear. LOL (yes, I'm such a girl)

Anyways -- here she is now as is...

View attachment 18940 View attachment 18941 View attachment 18942

JSP

Super Moderator
Very cool!

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

Detrich

Congrats. It looks a lot bigger & wider than our 6R...

ME_with_a_B

Congrats. It looks a lot bigger & wider than our 6R...
OMGs ya, the gixxer is huge. The tank is about 2x wider, and sits much lower on the bike. I almost feel like I'm hugging the tank when I'm holding onto the handle bars.

The pegs are set further to the rear so my legs are tucked a lot more. The bike is sooooo much lighter due to the aluminum frame, and its even about an inch shorter (although that may have something to do with the front being lowered, but I think its the entire bike overall)

Nice bike, when are you bringing it out? Or you are going to wait until you add your personal, rather pink, touches? :p
I probably won't ride it this year. I'd like to do all the cosmetic changes before I take it out... but we'll see. Once I get her registered, it may be a whole new story ;) I also want-to/need-to take apart the engine and have some things cleaned... but perhaps for the occasional Wed Nite Bike Night -- she should be okay to get me there and back.

@ Blue-Sun - I'm not sure about the maintenance.... and thanks -- but I'm changing the colors. Everybody and their brother has a white/blue gixxer -- this one is on her way to becoming white and pink :p

Last edited:

Detrich

i saw an R6 at my weekly car club meet this past Saturday... and, although i've looked at the R6 at the dealer many times, i didn't notice until then that it actually looks shorter than the 6R. the tank is bigger, more recessed, the pedals are further back, the ground clearance is higher, and of course the handle bars lower & forward...

but, oddly, it just looked smaller overall compared to us...

ME_with_a_B

I ride pretty regularly with an R6, and yes, it does look smaller than the 6R. Although when I've sat on it a few times, it feels bigger, so I'm not sure if its some kind of an illusion or not.

But the GSX-R is bigger all the way around. Longer and fatter, but thankfully, not taller. I like being able to flat-foot my bikes.

Roaddawg

FYI, the R6 is about 3 inches shorter all around (height-length-width-wheelbase) compared to the FZ6R. And, the R1 is about 2 inches shorter. They both have taller seat heights though.

rjsantana20

Very nice. Question, how long have you been riding? Is there a big difference between a 600cc and 750cc?

ME_with_a_B

I've been riding for a little over a year. I've put 11k miles on my FZ6R. (none of them are commuting; I don't ride to/from work) I'm not riding the gixxer yet; I want to get it repainted and prettied-up before I start taking her out on rides.

And... "is there a big difference between these two bikes" is the understated question of the century. YES, there is a HUGE difference. My gixxer has about double the hp as the FZ6R. *And it honestly scares the hell out of me.

Detrich

yah, i think if i were to ever upgrade to an r6 i would definitely need to get it lowered... as is, on the 6r i can touch both feet on the ground comfortably- but just short of flat footing. so, the extra 2 to 3"'s seat height would make it unsafe for me...

FYI, the R6 is about 3 inches shorter all around (height-length-width-wheelbase) compared to the FZ6R. And, the R1 is about 2 inches shorter. They both have taller seat heights though.