MY Fz6r @ it's first track day

Jots S.R.M.C.

Taking my baby on her first track day this friday, I can't wait to get some good footage to show some of ya'll how capable this bike is.. I have taken the fz6r on the MT. Lemmon mountain "run" about a hundred times.. it has the most twisties up and down a mountain I have ever been on..

Anyways.. So I have proven to myself that the fz6r can do anything a normal R6 can.. aside from the fact that I grind the hell out of the footpegs while doing so... That's going to be a lil uneasy on a technical " Kart" track as every 200 feet there is a hairpin.. i'm going to have to do something about those pegs.. however after I setup the rear suspension for my weight and setup the front suspension with my cartiage emulators I dont scrape them nearly as often as when it was bone stock out the show room- (As I got it )...
Here's a video of the technical track...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq3W0AOrQ9Q]MHC Sportbikes 9-30-2011 first Part - YouTube[/ame]

So I wanted to give you guys a headup about what im about to do- I also plan to join the Amateur circuit @ this track to have some more fun and I have no plans on converting my f4i stuntbike back into track readyness.. I really enjoy my fz6r and believe this is the PERFECT track for it as I know a guy with a litre that tells me he gets up to 90 on the striaght.. so - the fz6r will be in its realm so to speak.. and I will be too as I KILL twisties and have been doing so on this bike for the past 12,000 miles ive put on her int he past 8 monhts

Wish me luck.. But.. in a nutshell.. Doing this on the fz6r because I love it.. and I want everyone else to feel comfortable on therirs and know how capable it is- to trust it, and maybe take it down to your local track and do the same as me.. HAVE FUN on the bike you LOVE!

Jots S.R.M.C.

I wasn't able to get on the track friday as I had to get my bike inspected and I was planning on taking my textile pants out on the track as thats all I had down here in az - I had some strap on pucks that I use but they are pretty lame and questionable.. went and bought some joe rocket pants with pucks and came back today (saturday) for a open track time..

KILLED IT!!!! The fz did awsome.. grinded the hell out of the pegs but after some repositioning on the bike i found myself at a "barely" grinding comfortable posture where I was dragging but my leg was WAAAY out there..

Bike was fast.. going to have to do something about the stock brakes.. - it stopped but just wasn't that smooth so I am going to have to do somethign about that.... I was able to really put the cartiage emulators to the test- I wish I could of done a " before" and "after" run with them.. but hitting the normal twisties stock and then after the mod I can see Huge differences.. (I weight 190) so the emulators are a must..

So track day was a success- I have to change my brakes and do something about my pegs.. also since my "streetfighter" rearend mod i'm happy to say the position im in makes for hitting the corners really comfortable... my butt doesnt move around alot it stays in the position making for a really good - in and out of turn transition aposed to all that room for my body to move around making the bike move alot too..

First track day = Success.. - Im running SHINKO ADVANCE 005's too- The guys out there were pretty sceptical about me coming out running them- I wasn't passing people left and right but i was told by a guy on a r6 he thought i was going to be in his way and he had a little trouble keeping a eye on me on the track as I was ahead of him on the different starts.. I dont know if the guy is fast at all he seemed to think so - but we'll see next time im out there

edit: Oh yea forgot to mention.. First fz6r seen on this track.. people were asking me what it was.. and there response was a " sport tourer"- and i happily smiled and said " yes"... before the start I caught alot of smirks and glances from those track junkies with there 5K in carbon fibre bikes etc... - after.. more looks!!!.. The fz6r Caught alot of Eyes!

Last edited:

angelsneverlose

Thats awesome your getting to the track with the FZ. I have also been to the track with mine and it was a blast. Being a slower bike, banging through the gears is always a blast, compared to just holding on for dear life. I also got TONs of attentions since people dont know what it is...

As to your brake question, Stainless lines, and better pads will help A TON (also learn to trail brake = brake deeper into turns). Also, heavier fork oil will help you on the track.

If you are grinding you pegs, try and reposition your body again (I read you did once and it helped) and get off the bike even more. your entire ass cheek should be off the inside side and your face trying to "kiss the mirror". To be fast on this bike, you have to be WAY OFF, due to the peg location. You could also remove the feelers, but if your new to the track, i dont recommend that as you could roll of your tires... Glad you having a blast though!! Thats whats it all about. Also, that is a smaller track, so you are right about it being better for the FZ. the tracks around here we can reach 140-150 on... the FZ gets destroyed then...

Now, not to burst your bubble, but while the FZ is a great bike at what it is intended for, dont go bragging its better then the R6 or as good on the track. ITS NOT! The R6 with equal riders will destroy the FZ on the track. I have both and can tell you the R6 is in another league. The riding postion, power, stability, and lean angle all favor the R6. Like i said, i ride both, have brought both to the track, and the R6 will be better. I also ride in the Advanced class for track days, and race often so im not new to the track scene... Just my .02 so you dont start something with a bunch of R6 guys at the track for nothing...

Anyways, keep riding and having a blast!!

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Awesome!

I'm doing a track day November 19! Will definitely report. I have a mountable video camera, so you guys will have some close-up footage :D

Last edited:

rjohnson5481

Awesome!

I'm doing a track day November 19! Will definitely report. I have a mountable video game, so you guys will have some close-up footage :D
Playing video games while riding, man you're skilled! haha:cool:

Mr Citrus

Rookasaki

Nice Brother... Way to hit the track and represent the 6R. Most people under estimate our little machine. I hit some crazy twisties a few months back with a gixxer 750... I was on his @ss the whole way.. The only place he got me was the straights. After the ride, the guy couldn't believe how well our bike kept up :thumbup:

Good luck on the track, be safe! Keep us updated!

Jots S.R.M.C.

Thats awesome your getting to the track with the FZ. I have also been to the track with mine and it was a blast. Being a slower bike, banging through the gears is always a blast, compared to just holding on for dear life. I also got TONs of attentions since people dont know what it is...

As to your brake question, Stainless lines, and better pads will help A TON (also learn to trail brake = brake deeper into turns). Also, heavier fork oil will help you on the track.

If you are grinding you pegs, try and reposition your body again (I read you did once and it helped) and get off the bike even more. your entire ass cheek should be off the inside side and your face trying to "kiss the mirror". To be fast on this bike, you have to be WAY OFF, due to the peg location. You could also remove the feelers, but if your new to the track, i dont recommend that as you could roll of your tires... Glad you having a blast though!! Thats whats it all about. Also, that is a smaller track, so you are right about it being better for the FZ. the tracks around here we can reach 140-150 on... the FZ gets destroyed then...

Now, not to burst your bubble, but while the FZ is a great bike at what it is intended for, dont go bragging its better then the R6 or as good on the track. ITS NOT! The R6 with equal riders will destroy the FZ on the track. I have both and can tell you the R6 is in another league. The riding postion, power, stability, and lean angle all favor the R6. Like i said, i ride both, have brought both to the track, and the R6 will be better. I also ride in the Advanced class for track days, and race often so im not new to the track scene... Just my .02 so you dont start something with a bunch of R6 guys at the track for nothing...

Anyways, keep riding and having a blast!!
Ive been riding for a LONG time.. and been riding higher power bikes then the fz6r haha. I know what it is.. and that it isnt a r6 and you couldnt put enough mods on it to make it equal.. its a detuned r6 in a stretched long swingarm , with not much of a suspension etc...

:)

But I had a blast.. Corners is where I catch up on people this isnt a track for straight aways.. its turns into turns into turns.. on the main stretch litres get all the way up to "100" haha and then your back into turns

theres only a couple REALLY hard turns that i cant keep up with people due to the fact I would POGO on my pegs.. and that woudlnt be good!!!

Im gonna see what i can do about the pegs.. Im not going to "TRACK" the bike all the itme or turn it into that- thats not what it is to me.. but im really comfortable on it.. I got 12k miles on it in 8 months.. stricttly taking it out to see if I can learn more about it !

Jots S.R.M.C.

Nice Brother... Way to hit the track and represent the 6R. Most people under estimate our little machine. I hit some crazy twisties a few months back with a gixxer 750... I was on his @ss the whole way.. The only place he got me was the straights. After the ride, the guy couldn't believe how well our bike kept up :thumbup:

Good luck on the track, be safe! Keep us updated!
said user deleted account??

Heineken

Elite Member

iSpoolin

Ive been riding for a LONG time.. and been riding higher power bikes then the fz6r haha. I know what it is.. and that it isnt a r6 and you couldnt put enough mods on it to make it equal.. its a detuned r6 in a stretched long swingarm , with not much of a suspension etc...

But I had a blast.. Corners is where I catch up on people this isnt a track for straight aways.. its turns into turns into turns.. on the main stretch litres get all the way up to "100" haha and then your back into turns

theres only a couple REALLY hard turns that i cant keep up with people due to the fact I would POGO on my pegs.. and that woudlnt be good!!!

Im gonna see what i can do about the pegs.. Im not going to "TRACK" the bike all the itme or turn it into that- thats not what it is to me.. but im really comfortable on it.. I got 12k miles on it in 8 months.. stricttly taking it out to see if I can learn more about it !

Pics? Proof of these things? I'm just gonna call you out in every thread since you ignore the other one.

Pretty sure your a fake and a half.

angelsneverlose

Thats cool you've been riding for a while. Im not attacking you, but i actually RACE both and am telling you, the FZ will not beat an R6. I dont care if there is no straits at all, the R6 is much better/faster in the turns! Its one of the best handlers in the supersport class for a reason!

Reasons its better - suspension is better, more stabil, lean angle is higher (very key), where the weight of it is (lower), and oh BTW, it has a bigger tire which is huge during a full lean... Also the brakes are much better allowing you to brake much later.

Again, im not attacking you, just correcting. If you were beating R6s on the track then Great! but its only because you were a better rider and they didn't know how to turn, not because your bike is better... :p;)

Last edited: