My First Close Call - AngryAnt ANGRY

AngryAnt

I'm trying to get my heart of my throat, as I had my first true first close call on a bike.

Riding to work this morning, which is only about a 2.5 mile ride, a bright yellow pet taxi van cut me off, which mere inches to spare. Instinct took over, and I grabbed the front brake as hard as I could. I don't even remember if I layed down the back brake. I think the front wheel must have locked, as it was doing a "wobbling" sort of motion. Instictively, I veered to the left just enough to miss the van by a few inches, and kind of slide into some guy's front yard. I had to catch my breath, and I watched the van keep going.

I turned around, chased after him, but alas, he hauled ass away from the scene.

Unfortunately for him, his 1-800 number was on his van. I just got off the phone with his manager, and he'll be lucky to have a job if I had anything to say about it. The manager, lucky for me, was a biker and understood the seriousness of what almost happened.

At least for now, this fizzer is still standing. I'm honestly still in shock I kept it standing up, as I have no idea how I did.

Spunky99

Nice save and excellent job of getting the number. I had a pair of Siemans vans on the freeway playing the cutoff game and I called in too.

DragonBlu

Great save,it is amazing how instinct takes over and helps make a save sometimes. The more experience the more automatic it is. Glad your ok! Those 800 numbers are great. I put them on the fleet of vehicles I manage and they keep most of the drivers honest. The ones that aren't we get a phone call on.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

iSpoolin

Damn man, sorry to hear about all that. I've had a few close calls here lately. Had to smack a guy in a chrysler 300's window because he was pushing me into a wall. That bitch apologized 552942794 times at the next light LOL

stevet

Thank God you didn't hit anything. Bikers and cars colliding means we never win that one. Something just like that happened to me. Some woman pulled out in front of me from on coming traffic and then just froze in the middle of the street to make it a whole lot worse. My bike was skidding for 40 feet and just barely being controlled from going down. I stopped just inches from the van. What can you do with a really oblivious cager? We really have to watch out for car drivers doing unpredictable things. Everyday I see red light runners, texters, people on their cell phones and women driving while putting on make up. Watch out like they're out to get you. A friend had his leg severed at the hip by a red light runner.

AngryAnt

The thing that bothers me most is I don't think I could have done anything differently. He didn't use a blinker, just *bam* made a sharp turn, and I was going the speed limit. If I had left the house 2 seconds later, could have been a very bad day :(

/Think positive...
//Needs a drink...Its 5:00 somewhere right?

bobski

Glad you're ok but this stuff does happen. Good reminder how important it is to continue to practice our emergency stop procedure at low and high speeds while maintaining control of of the bike qnd not skidding the tires (stops faster and with better control without skidding). egular parking lot practice may saveour lives one day! Just sayin'

AngryAnt

findmadhav

Nice to hear you are fine bro... The problem is not only crazy drivers who swerve into traffic without looking, but also assholes who look down upon bikers!
Great job in noting the number down!

Spunky99

I've had to play Frogger before after 3 vehicles pulled out into me before from the left and the right.
Ya just gotta go with the flow and trust your instincts.
If you freeze up, you are doomed.

FitZ6R

Sucks.

A nice old lady tried to cut about 599.5 miles off my 600 mile trip last weekend. A few blocks from my house, she stopped at the sign on a cross street, looked both ways, including directly at me (broad daylight, completely unobstruced view, no other traffic), and drove straight for me. I gunned out of her path, avoiding contact by a few feet at most. She stared blankly as I laid on the horn, probably thinking "he just came out of nowhere."

You guys think my gear is little too subtle?

Attachments

AngryAnt

I think it boils down the fact that you have to be driving a Hummer before some people notice you. I'm on a blue bike in all blue gear with plenty of reflective piping / reflective stripes, didn't help me any...

When it comes to stop signs and red lights I always completely stop until I see them look right in my direction and / or wave or they've been sitting there not moving long enough I'm pretty sure they see me. I don't ever assume they're going to stay there.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Spunky99

Sucks.

A nice old lady tried to cut about 599.5 miles off my 600 mile trip last weekend. A few blocks from my house, she stopped at the sign on a cross street, looked both ways, including directly at me (broad daylight, completely unobstruced view, no other traffic), and drove straight for me. I gunned out of her path, avoiding contact by a few feet at most. She stared blankly as I laid on the horn, probably thinking "he just came out of nowhere."

You guys think my gear is little too subtle?
You blend into the page...what gear?

Detrich

good save, good story... glad u're okay. :)

Osoreru

Well done with the save. I had a AAA van do that to me not long ago. I did the same thing, got the information off the van and called it in. Always a good idea to do what you can to keep idiots off the roads.