My Engine Blew Up!

porky45

Well that means the gearing is all wrong.
I would agree that the stock gearing leaves more to be desired. That's why I switched to -1/+2.

Superfly

yamaha makes thousands of engines a year...there will be a few that for whatever reason blow up. Blocked oil passages, some tolarance issue, or some other defect happen all the time. Any thing other than oil starvation or overheating and warrenty should cover it. Hope you get a new engine and I for one believe that if you've even looked in the manual to know that the first oil change should be around 600 - then in my mind youre a mindfull owner that looks after their equipment...let us know how it works out...good luck!!!

spacemonkey

thank you all for your support. honestly i may ride my bike a little hard but i am hardly ever past 9k, i took very good care of my bike, and my car before it, regular oil changes and all that good stuff. today the shop called and told me that yamaha needs them to dissasemble the motor, shop prices a teardown and rebuild (labor only) at 2800. if yamaha decides that they will not cover it im out almost 3k. figure for that price i could buy a beater car to get to and from work. i told them to just to a tear down, which still runs 1500. if for any reason yamaha doesnt want to repair it i guess im going to end up doing it myself. its just a huge upset since i still owe alot of money on the bike anyway. the shop wont have it torn apart for a few days but ill let you guys know everything that i find out, and once they have it torn apart im going to go down there and get some pics of it to put up for you all.

JonKerr

Elite Member

CDN6R

Man, this really sucks.Being that this engine is as they say De-Tuned and based on a older R6 engine,this motor should be really strong and hopefully reliable. I think that this my just be a major fluke. I hope Yamaha goes good for the repair. Laurie

Bikegirl88

Cory at 402bikes.com has an engine listed on his page for sale:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2009 Yamaha fz6r with 600km engine available & can be heard running

******MANY OF THESE BIKES ARE AVAILABLE AS IS CALL 519 402 BIKE (2453) FOR MORE INFO******

spacemonkey

Yamaha is GREAT! they are going to go and pay for the whole thing :D replacing pistons 1 & 2, crank shaft, bearings the whole shebang, they are truly great people. today is probably the greatest day of my life when i got that news. thank god it happened early enough for my warranty to cover it.

bmw675

good to hear. this is good news for all of us yamaha owners.

Detrich

sorry for the ordeal, but happy to hear Yamaha is honoring the warranty... hopefully you'll be riding again soon! :)

Superfly

Yamaha is GREAT! they are going to go and pay for the whole thing :D replacing pistons 1 & 2, crank shaft, bearings the whole shebang, they are truly great people. today is probably the greatest day of my life when i got that news. thank god it happened early enough for my warranty to cover it.
did they tell you what they think might have happened???

stuna

so if it were mine i would run it for a very short time then change the oil . then run it a 100 mi then do it again . why ? it blew what shavings and stuff may need to get flushed out :confused:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ksanbon

Congratulations Spacemonkey!

I would have been disappointed if they gave you problems. That's good news!

Great to hear Yamaha is covering it. Does anyone know how much the extended warranty is.
I received a Yamaha mailer that quoted $620 for a 48 month plan. I'm sure that price is retail. Most dealers are willing to negotiate ESP's (just like the car business), so it would be worth shopping around to score a deal.
Warning: Some dealers will quote lower prices for non-Yamaha plans. Most are okay, but you might have problems getting covered from other dealers if they're not familiar w/ the company that handles the plan. Make sure you know what your selling dealer is offering.

If i don't step up before the end of November. I'll get a Yamaha Plan.

Last edited:
Cincinnati, huh? I'll be there in Aug... got my 20 yr reunion coming up and doing a short trip out there. Might be cool to set up a Sunday FZ6R get together... I'll have more specifics on my trip as it gets closer.
Yea, I'm up for a GTG in Cincinnati. Anyone else interested.

Newmason

Hey man where in cinci you at?! I'm up here in Mason!

Newmason

Very cool! 10 and 22 ride anytime soon?