My custom windscreen!

JSP

Super Moderator
Ok, so I finally finished chopping down (ksanbon's) :D windscreen that he so very graciously gave to me. Thank you again!

I think it came out absolutely awesome! Love the way it looks now. I am not sure if I even want to paint it or not... I really dont want to possibly screw it up since there isnt much of a lip at the top, the paint line might get messed up. I will prob leave it as is. Think it looks sick.

This was NOT at all as easy as I thought it would be. It took me about 4 hours to do. I did some test stuff on the top to see what would work. Dremel was out as it just melted the plastic. I used a hacksaw but that would only go so far in obviously. So I then did relief cuts straight down, but since I kept the radius like that I still couldnt use the hack saw to finish the center. I then, did use the dremel but a bit away from my line and spent 3 hours trying to sand it all down and nice to perfection!

Pain in my ass, but think it looks way better than the tall screens. And now I can use my GoPro on the tank!

Pictures!!!!!

Once my bar end mirrors come, I can take those rabbit ears off and finish the look.

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Great work! Looks way more aggressive now! :rockon:

JSP

Super Moderator
I actually havent ridden it yet haha. Wife is workin and I have the kiddo. It was great without the screen at all, so hopefully this is just as good or better. Looks like I could still even tuck behind it a little if I needed to.

And yes, those mirrors look even more freakishly HUGE now! :eek:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
That does look real good. Do you think a band saw would work out well for cutting it?
If it was slow enough to do a nice steady cut but not fast enough to cause it to melt, yup! It would actually work pretty good I would think. I would still cut just a hair above your line and do a good sand job getting it all down and even. I spent forever just because all I had was super fine paper. It worked out well at the end because it gave the lip a frosted look. Very smooth. I am very happy with it.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Quick Question about the windshield...

When you took out the phillips head screws, were there nuts behind the screen?? Did you have to use a wrench behind the fairing or did they just screw out and screw in??

Thinking about changing mine to smoke, wanted to know if I had to deal with nuts on the end of the phillips head screws??
They simply unscrew and screw back in. No nut or anything. It is a threaded insert in there. Be careful though about stripping out those plastic screws. Mine are stripped pretty bad from all this on off crap. I need to replace them.

ksanbon

Wow, I'm impressed! It makes your bike look faster even though it's just posing for the pics. Nice work!

arkkornkid

Good job, turned out great.... and if it's just for looks, I wouldn't worry about painting it. I painted mine because of the glare/reflections on the gauges, appearnace is just a bonus. But that's so short I doubt painting would do anything about the glare. Honestly, the mirrors don't look that bad, I mean no worse than before, IMO.

I'm definitely going this route when I get the chance, and then get some decent handlebar mounted mirrors. It'll be a little while, but I'll share what I come up with.

GF_Playa

how bad was the windscreen vibrating when you were cutting it? i thinking of doin this mod but dont want to end up cracking it in the process.

JSP

Super Moderator
how bad was the windscreen vibrating when you were cutting it? i thinking of doin this mod but dont want to end up cracking it in the process.
It flexed a little bit but nothing to concern me. I kind of held it between my legs and did it. If using a bandsaw I dont see any problem with flex at all.

JSP

Super Moderator
Rode to work this morning. No real buffeting up to 70 mph... Very happy with it :cool:

stevet

I used a jig saw to cut my windshield. Put painters tape on the windshield and draw your outline the same on both sides. Use a fine blade and go slow. You can then sand the edge with either a power sander or sanding block. Finish with a very fine sand paper. It took about 45 minutes for the whole process and looks factory.

JSP

Super Moderator
I just used painters tape at a natural looking line/curve that I liked the most and then made the cut.

See red

There is a rubber insert that goes in the holes, Contained within the rubber insert, is a brass insert, that has the threads in it. If you push too hard on the screw, when you put it back, it will slip into the hole. This is a pain in the arse as it is hard to get it back out. then re-insert it into the hole and try again.

I did this when I was putting Marthys screen on lol.