Mulholand Crashes

Spunky99

Speed limit is 55 but most are going about 35 on that turn. It is about a 160 degree turn. The fastest guys can do about 40 but the crashers are usually about 35.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
He would have been fine in the dirt and gravel if he wouldn't have locked the front brake.

One idiot ruins the whole day for everyone else. :zombie:

Spunky99

They always lock the brake in the dirt....:zombie:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Spunky99

I can watch those vids all day long. I kinda want to ride down there to try it out myself. Changes if neededing a ride home are pretty high though.
I'll meet you there and show you the area. The guys that ride there every day or every weekend are friendly and hang out with whoever is around. We take a break mid day and relax and then go for some more. The dude (Paul) that does the still shots down the hill a bit (3 turns) in the morning and then he moves up to that turn in the afternoon (rockstorephotos.com). rnickeymouse on youtube is at that corner all day with his hi def video cam. rnickeymouse - YouTube
Here is his better youtube site, 31200MulhollandHwy - YouTube
Shera shows up a little later in the morning and shoots through the afternoon sessions at that last corner. (Flickr: sheraisrad's Photostream)

Just keep the speed down and practice your form. After a few times through you will get faster and more comfortable. It's the people that don't have their form down or have too much speed at the beginning of the turn and fixate on the rail or the rock and don't look through the turn that have the trouble. Just stay in control at about 70 to 80% speed and you'll be fine. It's not a race and there is no competition. The guys with the LEDs for headlights flush in the fairings are the ones that practically live there. Those bikes are specifically built for The Snake and most of them are running racing slicks.

Even old farts on ancient Triumphs are accepted there.:D
I'm not a local for sure but get accepted anyway. If you keep your mouth shut, you can learn a lot from these guys.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Spunky99

50 minutes:D

Detrich

I'll be the counterpoint I guess... I've been up to the Mullholland snake once, and if you ride at your own pace & concentrate on the road then you'll be perfectly fine. It's just like any canyon road. No big deal. That said, however, I would stay away from that place.

The photographers and loiters there create a distraction that for newer riders can break your concentration easily if you aren't careful. Even experienced riders crash there frequently, because they get excited trying to push their limits & pose for the camera. You honestly won't improve your riding skills in that type of environment unless u r used to tuning out all the noise & distraction already.

I don't know why CHP allows those photographers to setup base camp there. It's not really a rest stop- more like a gravel spot in the corner of the turn. And, it seems like it would be safer for everyone if the photographers at kept a lower profile. Knowing cameras are there makes ppl do stupid things...

Spunky99

Like Detrich said....Just ignore everything but the road and your bike and all is good. The photogs don't run out while you are going by but they are sitting and close. You have to ignore them.
The CHP just watch for people crossing over the double yellow line or WOT between the turns speeding.
The 2 bottom pics are my 3D video setup. Too shaky...

Fizzer6R

Mulholland GSXR 750 Crash 5/20/2012 = that's what happens when you put a pink mohawk on top of your helmet

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Spunky99

I'm standing on the top of the berm at the last turn getting some video.
You have faces to go with the cool videos and pictures from The Snake now.
These guys are top Pros to get the shots you see.

Snake Whois.avi - YouTube

CrazyCawi

thats so cool thanks spunk

Boolag

I've seen a fair bit of footage of riders having control issues, and some high siding coming out of the turn at a specific point on that big corner..I'm curious, is there a sudden change in the road surface/ or camber that causes riders a bit of panic?

Spunky99

Nope...no road surface change. Just a really long turn that seems to go on forever. Mostly people fixate on some point and or gas it too early to come off the turn hot and lose it.

CrazyCawi

Nope...no road surface change. Just a really long turn that seems to go on forever. Mostly people fixate on some point and or gas it too early to come off the turn hot and lose it.
have you ever had any close calls on it? I have also seen some where people seem to almost fall over the guard rail at that turn as well, if they did how far of a fall is it? Would someone survive that fall?

buzzbomb

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Dude. CC. What? If your riding a bike and fall off a cliff? It's a pretty bad day, regardless of specifics, LOL. :rolleyes:
hey its beer-thirty and even though we dont want to know....we still wanna know get what I mean?

side note: I re-read the OP and beer was spat. I didn't realize my clever wording ^_^