Moving

TigerGenetics

So I got a new job and am relocating from South Carolina to Texas. Unfortunately I won't be riding the bike down there. I am putting on the moving trailer and was told by the company that I had to drain all the fluids prior to transport.

So my question is how do I go about accomplishing that. Any recommendations about exactly which fluids I probably should empty (obviously gas)? Thanks in advance guys!

Spunky99

So I got a new job and am relocating from South Carolina to Texas. Unfortunately I won't be riding the bike down there. I am putting on the moving trailer and was told by the company that I had to drain all the fluids prior to transport.

So my question is how do I go about accomplishing that. Any recommendations about exactly which fluids I probably should empty (obviously gas)? Thanks in advance guys!
What moving trailer?
If you are towing the trailer, you don't need to do anything.

Chucker

I'd go with gas, oil, and coolant. I'd think they'd want the battery removed as well? I'm in the transportation industry and their concern is more around regulations than the actual risk. Gasoline and battery acid are the only real risks, other than a possible mess, but regulations will require the coolant and oil are drained as well.

TigerGenetics

Thanks! I am moving with a company called U-Pack and they use ABF for their shipping. Its going in a 28 foot trailer. I am assuming it is probably pretty straight forward to empty the coolant, but I don't have the owners manual with me at the moment. Any advice on how to make this go as smoothly as possible for me?

Spunky99

I'd go with gas, oil, and coolant. I'd think they'd want the battery removed as well? I'm in the transportation industry and their concern is more around regulations than the actual risk. Gasoline and battery acid are the only real risks, other than a possible mess, but regulations will require the coolant and oil are drained as well.
Wow.....how times have changed......
In 1974 I shipped a 1968 BSA 650 Lightning to Oahu in a crate. When it arrived in the truck, I opened the crate, bolted down the handle bars that were removed to narrow the crate and rolled it down the ramp. Kicked it twice and drove off....Nothing was drained.

bmw675

I never had to drain the coolant, so no advice there.
oil and fuel should be straight forward though.

My only suggestion, and more of a fail-safe for anyone else involved in the move: I would put a tag of some sort that says, no oil, no coolant. May be unnecessary, but i can just imagine rolling it out of the trailer and someone else wanting to move it out of the way. yes, i worry too much sometimes... ;)

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Spunky99

In 1974 I think I still had feet on my pajamas. :D
And I was in the US ARMY as a Reconnaissance Scout.....calling in airstrikes from F4 Phantom jets and shooting lots of ammo out of fun toyz.....heating up my C-Rations with C4 plastic explosive and surfing the North Shore.....

At least I can still ride a bike......

bmw675

Wow.....how times have changed......
In 1974 I shipped a 1968 BSA 650 Lightning to Oahu in a crate.
really showing your age there with that comment john :D

In 1974 I think I still had feet on my pajamas. :D
i didn't even have feet in my pajamas for atleast 12 years after that :eek:

Spunky99

Back on topic......Are they going to strap the bike down so she doesn't move in the trailer. Also I'd worry about other cargo shifting and damaging her.

Do you have to crate her?

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Last edited:

Spunky99

Well today is the perfect day to thank you for your service to this country. :thumbup:

I worked on non conventional gravity weapons in the Air Force. I dont think I had quite the experience you did but it was still interesting to say the least.

:hijack:... not really.
Rappelling out of a helicopter about 200 feet off the ground face first is always fun....

Thanks

TigerGenetics

Back on topic......Are they going to strap the bike down so she doesn't move in the trailer. Also I'd worry about other cargo shifting and damaging her.

Do you have to crate her?
From what I have gathered, they strap everything in, and I am pretty sure they will strap the bike in. They asked if I wanted them to crate it, I said no and that is when they told me about the fluids. Unfortunately I won't be there when everything is being loaded to make sure it gets strapped in properly. This company does these kind of moves all the time and they offer motorcycle specific shipping, so I am assuming they have plenty of experience with them.

Any tips for unloading gas? just let it run until it stops? I'm new to this.

Bloke

You can probably just find a pipe to loosen and drain the tank, then run until it runs no more.

Failing that just syphon the tank and run it dry.

Coolant is easy, remove fairing, remove drain plug from radiator and drain, remove pipes and remove reservoir turn upside down and empty. This advice is for an xj6s but our bikes are pretty much the same.

Make sure you do it...

fuel, oil, coolant

You don't want to derp it, drain the oil then realise you haven't run the engine dry first :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

rjohnson5481

Had the military hire a company to ship mine with my household good. The normal thing is to load everything before the bike and keep it away from everything else. They told me to drain everything...I drained the gas. It probably won't be sitting that long. They could be sticklers though. Best of luck take lots of pictures before and after. Hope all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TigerGenetics

Thanks for the fast responses everyone!! Just another reason I love this community