Moving on from my FZ6R

Malicioso

Hi Guys

Well the time has finally come for me to upgrade from the 6R, it has definitely been a great bike to get around and have some fun, but due to the licencing structure here in Aus I have completed my 12month restricted license period, meaning I now have an open license to ride any size bike and now with a pillion.

After much discussion with my older brother, who also rides and has been doing so for 15+yrs and rides a 2014 ZX14R, friends and fellow riders. It was agreed that a 1000cc bike would suit my needs, as I out grew the 6r rather quickly and I also tend to get bored very quickly with my vehicles (I'm onto my 18th car!), so a 600cc was out of the question.

I test rode a hand full of 1000cc bikes and did lots of research, I finally found the one! :D

2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

It has an Carbon M4 Street Slayer slip on, Evo Tech frame sliders, Evo Tech tail tidy, shorty levers, Hot Bodies tinted screen, and also as part of the deal I'm getting it with new tyres, all on road costs and full 12 month registration.
It has done about 8,000kms (4,970miles), and can tell the previous owner really took good care of it.

I'm picking this bad boy this coming weekend, and I so can't wait to do a bit of a review for you guys who may be interested.

latony007

Hi Guys

Well the time has finally come for me to upgrade from the 6R, it has definitely been a great bike to get around and have some fun, but due to the licencing structure here in Aus I have completed my 12month restricted license period, meaning I now have an open license to ride any size bike and now with a pillion.

After much discussion with my older brother, who also rides and has been doing so for 15+yrs and rides a 2014 ZX14R, friends and fellow riders. It was agreed that a 1000cc bike would suit my needs, as I out grew the 6r rather quickly and I also tend to get bored very quickly with my vehicles (I'm onto my 18th car!), so a 600cc was out of the question.

I test rode a hand full of 1000cc bikes and did lots of research, I finally found the one! :D

2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

It has an Carbon M4 Street Slayer slip on, Evo Tech frame sliders, Evo Tech tail tidy, shorty levers, Hot Bodies tinted screen, and also as part of the deal I'm getting it with new tyres, all on road costs and full 12 month registration.
It has done about 8,000kms (4,970miles), and can tell the previous owner really took good care of it.

I'm picking this bad boy this coming weekend, and I so can't wait to do a bit of a review for you guys who may be interested.
Thats a super sport isnt it? Means your laying on the tank and craning your neck upward to be able to see the road. I test road the R6 and my neck was killing me after 20 minutes. If your taking it to the track alot thats great, otherwise id look at the ninja 1000 or the FZ1

Malicioso

Yep Super Sport

I rode it for close to and hour and I had no issues with the position, I actually find it easier to lean over and get through some bends than the 6R. Also with the 6R it felt like I was up real high and more on the bike than with it, if that makes sense? This is a whole fair bit lighter and less top heavy. I have plans to do a few track days and will be using it mainly for weekend rides and the occasional coffee run with friends.

latony007

Yep Super Sport

I rode it for close to and hour and I had no issues with the position, I actually find it easier to lean over and get through some bends than the 6R. Also with the 6R it felt like I was up real high and more on the bike than with it, if that makes sense? This is a whole fair bit lighter and less top heavy. I have plans to do a few track days and will be using it mainly for weekend rides and the occasional coffee run with friends.
You must be a lot younger than me LOL. I get it feels less top heavy or heavy in general the FZ6R is not exactly light but again that position killed me. Good luck with it and be safe, dont let mega power get you in trouble :)

Malicioso

You must be a lot younger than me LOL. I get it feels less top heavy or heavy in general the FZ6R is not exactly light but again that position killed me. Good luck with it and be safe, dont let mega power get you in trouble :)
Just about to hit 31 but I still feel and act like a 20 yo lol

I thought it was going to cause me some issues, but I feel very comfortable on it and it also feels much smaller then the 6R. It's a lot lower and the seat height is about the same.

Will do Tony, I've learnt the hard way when I was younger, thank God nothing serious ever happened, but I'm quite sensible and I think the fact that it has so much power will make me a bit scared of the thing. To me that was the whole idea of getting a 1000cc bike in the sense that I will pay it much more respect then what I would have with a 600cc bike.

latony007

Just about to hit 31 but I still feel and act like a 20 yo lol

I thought it was going to cause me some issues, but I feel very comfortable on it and it also feels much smaller then the 6R. It's a lot lower and the seat height is about the same.

Will do Tony, I've learnt the hard way when I was younger, thank God nothing serious ever happened, but I'm quite sensible and I think the fact that it has so much power will make me a bit scared of the thing. To me that was the whole idea of getting a 1000cc bike in the sense that I will pay it much more respect then what I would have with a 600cc bike.
Your about a decade behind me lol. You may have a point there, I dont know i have never had 1000 but i hear what your saying. If i had bought even the FZ6R at 20 i know i would have killed myself on it. Now i ride as though every person on the road is out to get me. With age comes wisdom :)
I hope you enjoy it! Let us know how the Kawi forum is, i have not found one better than this one so make sure you stay on and say hi every once in a while !

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

AL72

Awesome machine! I just will install Clip-on risers.

Congrats!

Nmexico

What a big change. The riding positions of that bike is pretty aggressive. Enjoy I know myself I would not last more than 2 hr like that.

latony007

Agree! Got to be young. I test ride one just like this last year in Daytona. Amazing bike and sharp handling but I couldn't wait for the 15-20 ride to be over! Just kill my neck and shoulder. Gald I went with a naked ride instead.

Congrats on the new ride and don't be a stranger.
Not trying to knock his selection, that Kawi is a great bike, but its Funny you say that, i love test rides and wish they would go on for hours sometimes, like i test road the new Spyder F3 and the Suzuki M109 and wanted that to go on for hours, oh and the FZ09 marty i would have liked that one to be alot longer :) but after 15 minutes on a super sport i was begging for the test ride to be over!

Last edited:

Nmexico

I think its the high pegs that is hardest to deal with. Its like a horse racing jockey and for most street riding its overkill. It does have it place if you find the right areas.

Mew

Being actually 20 years old and still limber I would jump on that thing in a heart beat. Too bad in Canada the insurance for me would cost more than the value of the bike in one year... I am envious

latony007

I think its the high pegs that is hardest to deal with. Its like a horse racing jockey and for most street riding its overkill. It does have it place if you find the right areas.
for me it was the neck, when you sit on the bike in a normal position you are looking straight at the gauges, to see the road you have to crane your neck upwards and that was worse than the back issue.

Being actually 20 years old and still limber I would jump on that thing in a heart beat. Too bad in Canada the insurance for me would cost more than the value of the bike in one year... I am envious
You slamming us old people ? LOL
your right about the insurance, its WAY more than an FZ6R i would imagine, even down under. Im at a whopping 100 bucks a year for my FZ6R for just liability.

Malicioso

Yeah it's pretty aggressive riding position, but funny enough out of all the other bikes I tested (R1, S1000RR, GSX-R 1000), this was apart from the Gixxer very comfortable. I do agree that it would take it out on you after a solid couple of hours, but that's why you pull over for a break and have a bit of a stretch.

Re: the pegs, are not bad on the ZX10, they are also adjustable and at the time of test riding it they were set to the lower setting.

Insurance is actually not that bad, it's only about $40 Aus more than the 6R and the repayments are actually less by almost the same amount. I think I was getting a bit ripped off with the deal on the 6R because I bought it new from the dealer and I got finance through them as well.

Re: the age thing, it's so true, my older brother is in his 50s and rides the ZX14R, prior to that he rode a GSX-1400 and before it a Kawasaki ZRX-1200, so they've all been sort of touring bikes, and the ZX14 imo suits him well, I've ridden it and its a very comfortable bike to ride, much more upright and softer much more padded seat, I can definitely see myself riding something like that once I get to that age.

Cheers;

Walter

blkbrd

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member