Motorcycle test

UselessPickles

I find it hard to believe the guy in the article that failed twice was never told why he failed. Why would a test administrator refuse to provide scoring details? My guess is that he simply didn't ask.

Also, if you fail a riding skills test twice, and have no idea what you did wrong, then you should probably sign up for the MSF BRC class.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

The video has nothing to do with the article other than being motorcycle safety related.

Last edited by a moderator:

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

redwing-2001

From the video it looks like the standard msf course?
the video looks like excerpts from some early exercises in the MSF Basic RiderCourse. It is not a Skills Test. A little misleading putting that in with the article.
Washington State is protyping a new Rider Skills Test (RST) that MSF will be rolling out next year. A lot of States use the MSF test now. From what I can tell, it will be pretty much the same as before with a Curve added (similar to Exercise 13 in the BRC). It is NOT the same as the Skill Evaluation after the BRC. Rumor has it that the NEW Rider Skills Test (see video) will replace the Skill Evaluation after the BRC for Motorcycle License.

Here is what it is right now - may change. Be sure to watch all 5 parts.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcwyoAhsa3o&feature=bf_prev&list=SP8C6B99A8D435D882]Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 1 / "Cone Weave & Normal Stop" - YouTube[/ame]

redwing-2001

Sounds like they're talking about an update to the exam at the end of the MSF course. Curves and turning were definitely part of the curriculum when I retook it about a year ago. The 135 degree turn, at speed while staying in the "track" was definitely one of the exercises we had to go through and one of the ones covered in the exam.

I know the California exam is a bit different from other states. Did others have that one as part of the "final exam?" Here it was

1) Slow speed maneuver (figure 8 in a box)
2) Emergency swerve
3) Emergency stop
4) Curve/cornering (135 degrees or 3/4 of a 180)

I know you lose points for failing to slow appropriately before the curve, or for not maintaining speed in the curve.
what you are describing is the standard 4-part skill evaluation that is given after the Basic RiderCourse. It is the same everywhere. There is a different exam given for someone that comes in to the DMV to just take a skills test. What MSF is trying to do is make all testing for a motorcycle license the same. So, both tests will change a little bit (see my other post with the Washington video). There are a lot of states that use the MSF curriculum (BRC) and the MSF standard Rider Skills Test at the DMV (without taking a course). It will all be the same test after next year.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BKP

what you are describing is the standard 4-part skill evaluation that is given after the Basic RiderCourse. It is the same everywhere. There is a different exam given for someone that comes in to the DMV to just take a skills test. What MSF is trying to do is make all testing for a motorcycle license the same. So, both tests will change a little bit (see my other post with the Washington video). There are a lot of states that use the MSF curriculum (BRC) and the MSF standard Rider Skills Test at the DMV (without taking a course). It will all be the same test after next year.
Hope it changes for the better...

A friend of mine blew through the DMV test for his M endorsement, and *then* decided to take the MSF... Said the MSF test was more difficult, however, well worth the time.

The four maneuvers were standard when I took the original MSF class (from MichaelInVenice's post), however, I think they need to add *slow* speed turns in tight spaces to the BRC class. They *did* do quite a bit of that in the 'Bonding' MSF class, in the form of the lollipop exercises (with 3 different diameter lollipops).

Poor guy in a beautifully chromed up Harley Softail dropped it in one of those loops...