Motorcycle lift

gearhead

Because of the catalytic converter and exhaust located under the bike, is it possible to use a motorcycle lift that raises the bike utilizing the engine as a mounting point? :don'tknow:

JonKerr

Elite Member

rubicon1000

if u are doing it for a short time to work on the bike i would say its fine i have already done this with no problems one part of the lift on the muff. and the other on the header not a problem does not dent it or anything. the muffler and header are made out of a hardened metal very strong and heavy.

rubicon1000

probably not a good idea~ you will bend something when you lift the bike~ just use stands
no u will not i have done it twice already for a total of 40 mins no dents or indents at all. trust me i had the exh. system off and its made like a tank very heavy. i thought my stock muffler was heavy on my cbr

vitrox

better off getting a center stand or picking up some spools for the swingarm, and buying front and rear stands.

SilentT

stands

In your opinion what are the best front/rear stands out there ? What needs to be ordered and from whom?

FitZ6R

In your opinion what are the best front/rear stands out there ? What needs to be ordered and from whom?
If you really mean the best, I've never heard anyone argue against Pit Bull stands, but a front/rear set will ding you about $280.

For half of that price, I'm very happy with the set from GPI Industries. Really well made, very stable, fit the 6R perfectly, and they'll work with or w/o spools. A head lift adapter is "coming soon." You can get them from their website (gpiindustries.com) or on eBay (stores.ebay.com/gpi-industries).

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

gearhead

I spent $80 for a pair from Harbor Freight. My bike is up on them right now with both wheels off the ground. They work for storage and light cleaning purposes, but that's about it. These are NOT "the best".

vitrox

you don't need spools, but they are much more stable than the universal stands, those have the potential to slide off.
I have dmp stands, work good, spend 125 on the set and the front is a head stand that came with 5 pins so I can use it on quite a few bikes.

Bikegirl88

is there a place for rear spools on the FZ6R? I did not see it when I was at the dealership a few days ago?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
is there a place for rear spools on the FZ6R? I did not see it when I was at the dealership a few days ago?
If you want rear spools, I can give you a link to buy some that use the rear spindle bolt to attach to the bike. This requires no drilling or welding, they are direct replacement. It's what I have on my bike, and they work perfectly.

Here is the link to the thread where I installed and reviewed them. The link to buy them is there as well. There are also some pics of them installed and being used.
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/swingarm-spools-16104/

However, if you want to buy universal rear spools, you will need to have a hole drilled in the swingarm and then have it threaded. Or, you will need to have a bracket welded to the swingarm, drilled and threaded as well.

Bikegirl88

That is a perfect solution and an easy fit as well. Thanks for the posting the link. I can see that this forum will be very useful.

Brugge

If you want rear spools, I can give you a link to buy some that use the rear spindle bolt to attach to the bike. This requires no drilling or welding, they are direct replacement. It's what I have on my bike, and they work perfectly.

Here is the link to the thread where I installed and reviewed them. The link to buy them is there as well. There are also some pics of them installed and being used.
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/swingarm-spools-16104/
I almost got those and then realized that they would not work for removing the rear wheel. They are attached to the bracket that is held on by the axle. They will work fine for anything else that you need to lift the bike for just not removal of the rear wheel.

Happy New Year!

Kevin

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I almost got those and then realized that they would not work for removing the rear wheel. They are attached to the bracket that is held on by the axle. They will work fine for anything else that you need to lift the bike for just not removal of the rear wheel.

Happy New Year!

Kevin
That is very true, but if you get a stand that can use either spools or lift the swingarm, then it's not such a problem.

cbzdel

another vote for harbor freight stand :D

Hellgate

I have a pair of Pit Bull universals that I'm very happy with. They use a larger diameter of tubing than most other MFGs so once you have a stand under the front and rear the bike is very stable.

For a chock the Baxley Sport Chock is the best bar none. Baxley Trailer Company :)