Morning commute a little different today

BackBone

Since I'm new to riding on the road, I take the back roads on the days I travel to work. This keeps me clear of all the busy intersections, freeways, etc. I always leave home for work extremely early. I normally arrive 45 minutes early, but like the "NO RUSH" feeling. Along my travels this morning I came across a flashing amber light off to the distance from the road near a creek bed. I didn't think much of it, but started to see some debris in the road and upon slowing down to dodge the stuff, I hear a scream of "HELP". Then all of this came together as now I knew there was a bad wreck and the stuff I seen in the road was car parts. I quickly stop and went to the flashing light which was a newer model Toyota Tacoma, all smashed to hell. Not knowing what I'd find upon walking up to the truck, I asked if everyone was ok. The response was that he was messed up, but can't find their phone to call for help. This guy wasn't wearing a seat belt and was thrown around during the wreck. He called his dad from my cell phone and said his dad would be here in 10 minutes. I spent nearly 30 minutes with him until going on to work after help arrived. He was scared, and didn't want me to leave him alone. I found his cell phone about 10 feet from the truck. It must of flown out during the tumbling end over end. The truck is destroyed. Glass was all busted out of it, and front windshield was hanging off.

I received a phone call from his dad a little while ago saying that his is banged up with a broken colar bone, shoulder, and small fracture in his neck. His dad has thanked me numerous times for being there for his son. He considers his son very lucky to be alive since the truck is so smashed up. Police still wasn't at the scene when I left, but I seen the lights and sirens going his way shortly after leaving the site to go to work.

Now, I have thought about this all day, and have decided that if I didn't hear the call for "HELP", I probably wouldn't of stopped. It was the scream that really put it in prospective that the flashing light was indeed a crashed vehicle in the distance. I drive to work in the early morning, (4:30 am) and it is dark out. I'm thinking if I was in a 4 wheel car, more then likely the windows up with the ac on and radio going, I wouldn't of heard that 21 year old boy cry for Help. I didn't think to ask if he had been there a long time or not, since that wasn't important at the time. I wouldn't want to imagine what he was thinking sitting there in the truck that long of a time. Or if it just happened, what if I was a few minutes earlier? I could of been involved during his loss of control in that curve.

The FZ6R, being quiet running as it is, helped me hear the "help" call. I'm pleased with my decision to get this model. I did however find a small screw in my rear tire after work. I'm not sure if it was because of the wreck, or I picked it up somewhere else, but can you guys suggest a good replacement tire? I have it plugged for now, and not going to ride it until I go have it replaced. Scared the hell out of me driving it home with the screw in the tire, and I don't want to take the chance on the plug. The screw looks like a self tapping screw, and air leaks when I removed it. Sucks ass since I bought the bike with a new back tire on it and only enjoyed the tire for 700 miles or so. Continental is on it now, and like the ride of it, but wanted some opinions on which tire to replace it with. Thanks Guys! Sorry this was a little long winded, but I've had an eventful day with the bike, and wanted to share the story.

--BackBone

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

BackBone

KY does not require a helmet for riders over 21, but I wear one anyways to protect my noggin. I did hear him since I the rpm's were low while I was dodging the debris.

Xfactor evo

With so many assholes out these days it is sometimes far and few inbetween that you hear about a good sumaritan helping someone out. :thumbsup:

Gwai lo 2.0

You're a good man! Wish there were more people like you out there!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

nlpyle

I can only say you amazing individual and it is so nice to hear about people helping out others. I can only imagine how that kid felt being helpless laying there. I know his family thanks and I thank you for helping someone like that even though that ment you mighty be late for work, you put his needs first. You rock my friend :D

Chucker

God bless you sir. You should check back on him, go visit him and see how he is. It may broaden his horizon on life and add one more good Samaritan.
+1 on that. It's all about paying it forward. He probably will anyway, but a visit will help solidify his outlook.