Modified 06 R6 Exhaust On The 09 6R!

BL6RNKY

Alright, My 98-02 R6 headers came in today.(got them for 10 bucks plus shipping) bought a stock 06 R6 can with butterfly valve and everything from a friend i ride with(30 bucks), need to paint the headers with high heat gloss black and do the install! R6S mirrors should be in by monday, already have front and rear flushmounts, custom tag bracket, blue wheel stripes, and waiting on my BUD LIGHT Graphics! Should Be TRICK! :cool: Will Post Pic's Of Install And The Bike Shortly!

ry-mac75

Sounds like a right spiffy project you got going there - hurry up and finish so we can see what it looks like!

BL6RNKY

Bolted everything up last night, almost completely bolt on! i need to bend the headers to clear the oil pan like every1 else and im going to shorten the header and can so itll come out in the stock location, it sounds freakin wicked though, shoots a blue flame out the exhaust, need $ for a PC, but for now ill have less than 100 bucks in the whole system so i can afford the PC instead of a $700+ system then still having to buy a PC or Juice Box.. And the thing i like most about my system is that its all made by yamaha and its cheap!

BL6RNKY

gave the header a sand down, painted them, and cut about 2 inches off the end pipe, started shortening the stock 06 R6 can, ran into a few snags, but got it done, will install everything 2nite and take pics 2maro!

rjsantana20

How are you bending the headers?

BL6RNKY

I put the header in a vice(loosely so it wouldnt hurt them) and got a 3 ft long "2 1/2 pipe to slip over the end pipe, heated the header at the elbow and slipped the peice of pipe over the end pipe and pulled, it worked well though i did scratch them up a bit but I painted them with high heat paint so its not noticable, i think you could probably just flatten the header pipe some where it touches the oil pan using a vice or hammer and get the clearance you need, i dont think itd hurt performance or sound just not as pretty(its not seen though), the muffler i used was a stock 06 R6 can, it was fairly short to begin with but i basically cut it in half and it took way more work than i originally thought but now it looks factory and i like the sound, wickedly loud! ill finish it up tonight and replace my fairings so i should have pictures posted no later than 2maro night... 3 nights of working on it after work and around 60-80 bucks later= wicked exhaust with stock appearance using only OEM yamaha parts, its cheap, it was fairly easy, and its one of a kind (as of now) very proud of it, i might need to get a PCV or juice box but idk which yet...

Last edited:

cpd6l42

Sounds very cool, can't wait to see the pictures. My phase one! I cut my exhaust right before the cat and then welded on a straight pipe. Saw it on YOUTUBE, so I can't take credit, but had a muffler shop bend the pipe and then painted it with the high heat black paint(2000%) so it looked alot better. It was extremly loud so phase two was to modify the straight pipe with a small baffle(made my own muffler) and added header clamps to both ends. That way I can switch from straight pipe to muffler pipe. Phase three will be to add a header clamp to the old exhaust so I can go back to stock by just removing three bolts. Be Safe,

BL6RNKY

That sounds like a plan, i was trying to get away from cutting up the stock exhaust, very sweet idea though man, i wouldve probably still went with R6 headers though keeping the stock exhaust in tact but very custom and very cheap....
I did finish the project up tonight looks almost factory but way louder, my friend has the 06 R6 that i got the can off of, he just ran the cat and a hotbodies tip after taking the muffler off, mines way louder than his now, theres a very obvious power boost all the way through third now, seems like there more torque in the low to mid, will post pics tomarrow nite!

eucsstamtic

PICTURES!!!!!! I'M STOKED TO SEE THIS!!!! ( notice the caps =] ) I am extremely curious how these mirrors will look as well, the stock mirrors, in my opinion, make it look like it should be pulling a trailer behind it lol!!

Y

yellowfz

Yes Pics please .[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w65SaBDjyuM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w65SaBDjyuM[/ame] My homemade exhaust , no packing just baffles , baffling isn't it ? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yellowfz

Please tell me more about your mod:D
Very simple , just used a 24"x3 1/2" exhaust tip (auto zone) , made 3 chambers , two with 1 1/2" tubes for baffles (holes drilled in tubes , 3/2 pattern) , and one chamber , the middle one , just holes in a couple of disc .
Would be happy to make one for you .

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Y

yellowfz

Tempting.. If I have a spare set of headers to weld it lol. Moneys tight so ebay shopping is a no go.
Understand , you need a Wire Welder at best and a disc cutter , bench grinder , among other things to fab the parts .
Would be happy to give you the design , but without the proper tools it might be hard to fab up .

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jcbrown630

My R6 Headers should be here today! Still deciding on what to do for the can....

Yellow FZ can u post up some kind of image / blueprint of what you did with yours?

jcbrown630

Have my D&D ordered. Probably be here Tues since they won't be moving it on labor day. Will post pics. Got it for 79 + shipping (29). Not bad. Has some rash on it, but a lil high temp paint and some mig work to fab up mounting tabs it'll be all good. :wav::D

After looking closely at the pics.. I may be spending some time "filling in" the dents with low heat and high wire speed. Then grinding , sanding, THEN painting. :noworries:

Attachments

Last edited:

yamanube

Just an update, I dented my header slightly to clear the oil pan, drilled a second hole in what I would assume is the bracket for a center stand (on the frame) and was able to bolt the rear of the header to the frame with a spacer so the rear end was nice and solid. I then cut the emissions valve off of my '06 R6 muffler and dented the can a bit to clear my rear brake lever. It works pretty well, looks pretty factory and sounds awesome. Just have to cut off the mounting tab on the muffler to clean things up. Pics soon.