mmmMMMmmm Saddlebags...

MustGoFaster

I got one for y'all. About 2 months after I got my bike, the sucker ate my Cortech saddlebags! I'm pretty sure I didn't secure them properly, (or the velcro popped off) but I'm going about 80 down the highway when all of a sudden my RPM's and MPH just start declining. Sharply. I pull off to the side, dismount, and check the front. Nothing. Then I check the rear. Ouch. One of them were wedged between the tire and the frame. After dislodging it, I call work to let them know I'm running a *little* late.

At this point, I'm at a loss. I had a bunch of stuff in those bags, including a cover, lunch, meds (which are now scattered all over the highway) etc. Thankfully, only a few things that were easily replacable were destroyed, myself and the bike NOT included, as I realize it could have ended far worse than it did. The problem then was that I had no way of transporting the surviving what-not.

My savior rolled up a few moments later, a biker mom and her son in a car. She asked what happened and I told her. Her son then offered his backpack to me so I could get my stuff to work. I was touched and blown away all at the same time. I offered her money, or to get her address so I could return it, but she was having none of it. She just said that if she had something like that happen while she was out on her ZX1, she'd want someone to stop for her.

Now the sucky part is the bike was a pretty messy eater about it. I've *still* got saddlebag on the very edges of the sides of the tire, even after picking and scrubbing at it. It's a major time consuming process, one I'm doing in stages. A good chunk of it's also melted to the exhaust, which is pretty not awesome. I've tried heating it up and scrubbing, and again, it's coming off slowly but surely, but it's a pain in the arse getting at it. Just another reason to have either Marthy mod it, or just got the TB exhaust lol. Now if only the fiance would clear me on that...

The moral of the story? Help yer fellow biker on the side of the road. And don't use saddle bags that don't permenantly fix to yer ride, LoL.

ajskillz13

Had the same thing happen to me, but I was lucky and they didn't get caught up in the bike. Mine just rubbed a hole in the side of one and a bit on the other. My first course of action was to go order a GIVI hardcase setup.

For some reason, something just told me to reach back and make sure they were still hanging there. Not a good feeling when you don't feel the straps across the rear seat.

Glad you and the bike are okay! We all know how dangerous that could have been.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

ajskillz13

on another note... your thread should have been named "Nom nom nom nom Saddlebags" :zombie:

MustGoFaster

on another note... your thread should have been named "Nom nom nom nom Saddlebags" :zombie:
LoL! Om nom nom... Hopefully that sated the beast. :p

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Wow! You are VERY lucky. We had a rider go down and mess up both himself and his bike badly when the bag caught and stopped the rear wheel in an instant.

Make SURE your luggage is very much attached and secure before riding with it.

Glad you're OK and just cleaning the bag off the bike instead of the alternative!!

MustGoFaster

Wow! You are VERY lucky. We had a rider go down and mess up both himself and his bike badly when the bag caught and stopped the rear wheel in an instant.

Glad you're OK and just cleaning the bag off the bike instead of the alternative!!
Wow hope they were ok! Yeah at 80 it coulda ended MUCH differently, LoL. It was first thing in the morning on the way to a meeting fer work, so I might not have secured as well as I could have. Lesson learned.

FitZ6R

Was she hot?

KeysRider3

And those bags are cheap. I had a set that I used with a Kawi ZZR 600, but after one use decided I was better off with one bag secured to the tail with nothing hanging over the sides. One another note, your user name is in my wife's top 5 movie quotes. I think the only one she uses more is "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

ajskillz13

Problem is some sets of bags don't have the best connection options. There was no way to ensure they would stay tight. I tried fitting straps under the seat, but it was an extremely tight fit and it made the bags hang almost to the tire.

Best answer is to get some racks... even if they are just Marthy style to keep your softbags out where they should be.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MustGoFaster

Honestly I've just been usin' the 'ol backpack when needed. Doesn't really bother me much. I'm usually not haulin' that much anyways.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MustGoFaster

Wow that's pretty saavy sir! Ya defintely seem to have a noggin' for this sort of thang. Might be hittin' ya up for an exhaust in the next few months as I'm wantin' a TB but ain't payin' that much for it. Cheers meng! :iconbeer:

FitZ6R

My cheap-ass solution is to run a strap from the passenger footpeg, up and over the seat, to the other passenger footpeg.

Xanroth

I had the same type of thing happen to me.. Melted shit all over the rear of my bike... pissed me off.. best solution I found? Goo Gone. Go to wal-mart and get some! Stuff is Insane!!

Oh, and out of fear of scrapping stuff off (paint, etc) -- Use an old credit card. Sounds stupid? Yeap. But the edges wont scratch anything because they're rounded, and its a great chipping tool!

:D

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Problem is some sets of bags don't have the best connection options. There was no way to ensure they would stay tight. I tried fitting straps under the seat, but it was an extremely tight fit and it made the bags hang almost to the tire.

Best answer is to get some racks... even if they are just Marthy style to keep your softbags out where they should be.
In this case, the best thing to do is scrap the ill-fitting bags and get something that does fit properly. Or like Marthy... fab something.

I bought a welder and started learning last year. I fabbed a set of supports for my FZ1 to hold the saddle bags vertical. Yeah, my first welds suck but hey, I'm trying! :eek: :p

Attachments

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member